1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning Arabic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SillyGoose, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since I have nothing better to be doing, I've decided to learn a 3rd language (excluding English) because I have no life..

My current thought is Arabic but I'm unsure which dialect(s) to learn...

To those who know Arabic or have an opinion on the matter, what is the dialect that you'd suggest learning? Or, if you think another language would be better, what do you suggest?

My current thought is Levantine Arabic but opinions are greatly appreciated..

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey SillyGoose,

You are only 15 and you speak two other languages already? I'm impressed!:slight_smile: May I ask what they are?

Arabic will be a challenge because you have to learn a non-Roman alphabet in addition to the language. I don't speak any fluent Arabic, but I was stationed in Iraq while in the Army and learned some basic Arabic. One of my best friends is an accomplished linguist who also speaks multiple Arabic dialects. From what I know, since you are an American, if you want to possibly use your linguistic skills in a future job, your best best would be to study either Iraqi or Egyptian dialects. After that I would recommend Levantine and then Gulf Arabic.

But it's your choice.

My 2cents.

3. IamAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi SillyGoose,

I speak zero Arabic but I think you should choose the dialect wich is more "useful" for you. Do you want to learn the language for itself or would you also like to benefit from it? Consider reviewing which dialect is spoken by most people or in most countries.

I think any exotic language is cool to learn... japanese, chinese, russian...

:slight_smile:

Adam

4. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you very much for commenting.

Quantum Reality, the languages I've done prior to this are French (which I've studied for a long time) and Russian (which I've done for about 3 years). I think Iraqi Arabic might be what I learn. Thanks

IAmAdam, thanks for the advice, I've just tried to learn things with application in my future jobs and that might help me in the future. Thanks

5. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for asking this question. I have strong personal connections to the Mid East-- (I was raised by an Arab Israeli,) and I absolutely love linguistics. (I'm 19, and to varying degrees know 8 languages, ranging from fluency to about the ability of a 5 year old depending on the language) Personally I speak Palistinian Arabic, and MSA (Modern Standard Arabic)

The first thing is you won't learn Arabic-- get this notion out of your head-- their are simply Arabic languages (note the plural.)

When people talk about different dialects of Arabic they are actually talking about different languages with roughly as much in common as English and Spanish.
    A Palestinian couldn't understand an Iraqi, any more than you could, and neither could understand someone from Yemen, etc.

If you want the most general Arabic language learn Modern Standard Arabic--MSA.

It's more or less the common tongue of the middle east, just like English is the common tongue of Western Civilization, perhaps more so.

I guarantee you it would be near impossible to find an Arab who doesn't know some MSA.

But this comes with a serious drawback. MSA is primarily (though not exclusively) used in Television, News reporting, religious services, etc.

As a result, even though most Arabs will understand it, much less know it fluently. To emphasize this point, if you went to a restaurant in Egypt and tried to use MSA the waiter would understand your order, but it would be unlikely they would be able to answer you in MSA, so you would couldn't understand their response.

The is of course not absolute. Their will be some Arabs (particularly ones who use it professionally) who speak MSA like a first language. But they are the minority. (BTW that example was exaggerated-- most Arabs can speak it, just not anywhere near fluently.)

On the other hand if you learn a regional "dialect" you can talk to anyone within a particular country, but only within that country.

So it's really like this-- if you learn a dialect 100% of the people from one country can speak to you, but only that country (for the most part.) If you learn MSA you can talk to people from any country, but only about 25% of them can talk to you.
    It's a trade-off. Just decide which is more important to you. Their is no correct answer.

If you choose MSA, well there is only one MSA

If you choose regional Arabic, well their is no right or wrong answer. Just learn what interests you.

I apologize if this sounded it condecending, it's not supposed to, but I know I sometimes sound that way . . . :frowning2: So sorry about that.

6. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:Hi sillygoose!

It's so cool you want to learn a new language! I am almost completely fluent in Arabic (thanks Dad) and am now trying learn German. For dialect I would strongly advise against Arabic fusha or MSA. Although I previously spoke Arabic to a certain degree when I started to learn it in MSA at school I was super confused and hated it. If you plan on basing a future on Arabic i.e speaking on tv or commentary ect. Then MSA is for you but if you want to speak to the locals and interact instead of sticking out like a sore thumb I would choose a dialect which interests you the most. The Arabic half my family speaks is Palestinian Arabic like ThatRangerGirl. Unlike with fusha the language is heavy with slang and in my case is mixed with English in between sentences randomly. My final tip to you is what ever you do learn to speak before you learn to read and write. It delayed my ability to speak Arabic fluently insanely when I started to learn how to write. When learning try to surround your self with fluent speakers and you will pick it up in no time. I'm actually surprised with how much Arabic I know since I barely speak it anymore! My mom learnt it in the same way. Within a year of meeting my dad she was already almost completely fluent in Arabic (mostly the swears :wink: don't worry about the writing too much a lot of Arabs I know don't even use the actual Arabic text and just write it out how it would sound using English text as it varies so much from the MSA Arabic text. Good luck on learning a new language! :thumbsup:

7. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you very much!

ThatRangerGirl, it wasn't condescending at all. Thank you for your informative paragraph. I think I'm going to learn I dialect rather than MSN to begin with and then learn MSN after I become relatively fluent in a dialect. I think I might choose an Arabic dialect from Palestine or close to it.

iliketolift1, I think Palestinian Arabic might be what I choose and thanks for the encouragement! I've already learned the alphabet but I won't get too hung up on writing and ready.

8. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you mind me asking is there a specific program for learning you use?

9. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I learned the alphabet on YouTube.. For Russian I used duolinguo and French I learned at school. Most European languages are on duolinguo and everything's on youtube

10. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks SillyGoose.

How do you keep active with it without someone to speak with on regular basis?
    I was fluent in Panamanian Spanish, after living there for a few years. But over time I only still speak basic conversational, and understand a lot when heard. The fluency has diminished. Same with German and French that I learned while living abroad.

11. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a friend who is Belgian who speaks French fluently and a friend that I talk to in Russian because a while ago we decided to learn it together. There are lots of apps where you can speak to people fluent in a language to either learn or keep fluency. You can also go to forums or websites and just talk to people in a language that you know. Twitch broadcasting in a different language was helpful for all my language skills