1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Is Suicide Okay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Jan 1, 2017.

1. iiimee

Obviously, don't read if this topic upsets or disturbs you.

I want to know what you all think of this. See, I fully support people undergoing euthanasia if they have a terminal illness... but is that where it stops? I just want to know if people can think of any other scenarios in which it's okay. For example, maybe a scenario such as in certain middle-eastern cultures, women do not even have some of the most basic rights. Do you think it'd be morally acceptable for the woman to kill herself if she was about to be or was married off to an abusive man? What about, in a completely different scenario, someone was suffering from brain damage that would never go away, but still was considered not damaged enough so that they could make the decision? I'm just curious to see what you all think of this.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm....for me, it would depend on whether or not the condition will improve. I try to give humans the same rights as we give our pets- whenever we feel they shouldn't suffer anymore.

It gets a bit tricky when you get to third world countries, like your marriage example. Even then, a lot of those societies have honor killings too, which is quite sad....

3. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a tricky question. In my opinion, if the suffering is absolute and cannot be stopped, then I am more lenient. I am supportive of medical assisted suicide, as sad as it is to think about. In the situation of the marriage...I would argue for her attempting to flee. While that may as well be suicidal, I feel as though dying fighting for freedom and safety is more...worthwhile than just ending yourself on the spot. But I guess that's up to the person.

That's the real kicker about it for me. It's an incredibly personal situation and it's hard to completely break down.

#3 AgenderMoose, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it's definitely a difficult and tricky question that I don't think can have a very generalized answer, I think that each separate case would need to be known in detail to be able to make a decision. However, if I were to give a generalized answer, the best I could say is, like the others, if there is no hope for someone to get better or enjoy life again, then I could see it being more reasonable. In your marriage example, I think that, once again, it depends on the severity. I think that suicide could be an option if the abuse could kill the woman in the end, but I agree with AgenderMoose that it would be more worthwhile to die fighting. However, it really does depend on the person - some people simply cannot handle things in a way that they would be able to sustain that.

This question is most likely one of the hardest out there, as it really does depend on every individual's situation and every aspect about that individual.

5. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, who are we to draw these lines? These are extremely personal decisions especially in the situation of marriages in countries where people don't have the same rights as others. If someone feels their suffering will be eternal (and cannot be treated) then they have the right to put their lives in their own hands. We don't have the authority to judge people for their decisions with their own lives.

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with this. I'd never encourage somebody to commit suicide, I'd never imply that it was a good idea or support it, because I think that there is always another way. But if somebody is so distressed and feels hopeless enough to end their life, judgement isn't going to help them at all.

The choice is theirs to make, no matter how much we disagree with it.

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

True, but it's not only their life that I affected, is it? They would also decide about the life and feelings of the people who love them if they choose to die.

I'm generally not opposed as it is a very complicated and personal topic.

Though aside from what I've already mentioned there are some problems I do have :

-people shouldn't be allowed to decide while caught in a moment. If someone lost their ability to move everything aside from their head , then yes I see why they'd want to kill themselves. But making that decision right after for example having an accident that caused this it's a spur in the moment decision and heavily influenced by the situation. Maybe they'd see it differently and find other things worth living for after two years of getting used to it?
    So..yeah..no spur of the moment decisions.

- companies making money out of assisted suicide can't be good. If you're making profit then of course you're going to be biased. Places with a neutral attitude where one can talk everything through with an actual professional psychologist or something similar should be established instead.

- in my experience, most people don't actually want to die. We as humans are scared of death. "I want to die." usually just means" I want my life to be different but it seems or is impossible to change." With that in mind I think it's very important to look at why someone wants to die and see if there are other options before doing the irrevocable.
    This probably falls together with point two..but it's not something that is really covered by the institutions that perform assisted suicide.

I admit that my opinion is probably influenced by being raised and educated about this stuff from a catholic viewpoint which is naturally against. I still feel like these issues should be resolved in those countries that do allow assisted suicide because it would make things less controversial.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2017 at 08:51 PM ----------

...all those wrong words and spelling mistakes...-.- damn not reading this through before posting...

8. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only think you should kill yourself if you are going to die soon anyways with pain and barely being conscious. But I also think that it is none of my business. Also, I'm a huge hypocrite when it comes to suicide, since I've tried twice.

9. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, a year ago I would have said Euthanasia was never okay. Now, I think suicide should be allowed for any reason, no questions asked--regardless of how it affects friends/family. It is YOUR life after all. I had to realize this after the girl I loved (and still love) shot herself in the brain 9 months ago. It hurts me horribly. I miss her everyday. I wish she would come back. But am I angry for it? No. Well yes if I'm being honest, but its anger born out of sadness, not that she did anything wrong. And her life had been hell since she was born, chronic pain, emotionally and physically abusive parents, the works. It was her right to end her life, and it saved her a huge amount of pain. She is in a better place now, where she can be with the God both she and I love so dearly. I take comfort from this, and the fact that I know I will see her again someday. (BTW, this opinion is affected that both of us are/were Christian Universalists.)
    Life is a gift from God, but so is death. We have the right to claim that gift whenever we see fit.

ALL THAT SAID I DO NOT ENCOURAGE SUICIDE IN ANY ACCEPT THE VERY MOST EXTREME CASES, BECAUSE LIFE IS ALSO A GIFT, AND SUICIDE CAN'T BE TAKEN BACK . . . EVER.

10. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone is suffering or is terminally sick, they have the right to choose when to end their own life. I may be getting deep here, but there's a very good chance that I will develop cancer in my life, and if that becomes terminal then I'm not planning to wait around and die in a hospital bed. I mean, I hope I don't get it, but my genealogy says otherwise.

Otherwise I think suicide is selfish. I tried to commit it in the past, and I am so very thankful that I didn't. I actually remember chatting to my step-mom, and one of my brother's best friends, and all three of us tried to take our lives in the past. And now all of us deeply regret it.

That's the general vibe I get from other survivors too, that they're happy they didn't take their life. I mean I'm sure there are some who wish they had, but I know of none personally.