1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased dysphoria when showering?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jadey95, Dec 28, 2016.

1. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any tips to decrease dysphoria so showering is easier? I already struggle with showering due to my disability, so I am hoping I don't have anymore added stress to it.

2. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have one of those Bluetooth speakers that is water proof. I put on some tunes and it helps me concentrate on that more

3. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do what I need to do and get out, really fast. I don't focus on my breasts or anything while showering. Try singing, too. It helps with me.

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I have to close my eyes.

5. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Some of what you can do depends on what your bathroom is like and whether you're out to any people sharing the bathroom/living area.

I know being forced to look at myself while showering/changing is an issue for me. Try hanging a sheet or pillowcase over any mirrors, or taking the mirror down completely, or turning it to face a wall. You might be able to reduce lighting too -- maybe turn lights off and just have a torch propped in one corner, or even use candlelight if that's allowed.

If you're currently using hair/body products aimed at your assigned gender, it might help to buy some that are neutral or aimed at a different gender, so that showering becomes a place to affirm and express your gender. If you're AMAB and considering women's products but you don't want/can't use anything scented (which a lot of stuff is), perhaps start using unscented conditioner even if you have short hair and/or don't need it, if you can afford to do so.

Think about what you do or don't shave in terms of body hair; if your disability allows you to do it, shaving what you want to shave could distract you from showering and reduce your dysphoria. If you're AFAB, maybe practice shaving the peach fuzz off your face. If you're AMAB, you could try shaving your legs (above the knee if you don't want people to see). Not all men and women do these things and that's fine, of course, but exploring them may be helpful if you want to do so.

Lastly, try and find one thing about your body (more if possible!) that you definitely, unambiguously like. You could ask your boyfriend for suggestions if you can't think of something. It doesn't matter what it is, how big or small or normal or unusual. When you get dysphoric and bogged down because of your body, return to that thing, and remind yourself how good it is. Things will be okay.

6. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, I never thought about music. That should help distract :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 04:54 PM ----------

Thank you! This should help a lot! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 04:55 PM ----------

And thank you everybody else! I really appreciate the comments

7. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I can say is to second the idea of music and also do it as quick as possible. Also try to think of things that you're interested in; things that don't involve thinking about your body at all.

8. SiKiHe

I have all men's products in my bathroom. I also decorated it with soothing gray colors. I don't get dysphoria too often but the wash products make me feel more affirmed

9. ARC36

Sometimes, when I'm feeling really bad (which isn't all the time, mostly I cope well) I put a bit of soap in my eyes so I focus more on the pain.
    But I would not advise this. This is not a healthy coping mechanism. The other suggestions are much better and will not temporarily blind you.

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That helps too. I went as girly as I could without raising questions, though no one really cares so I think I'll just say fuck it and go as girly as possible next time.

11. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Interestingly, I detach myself from the physicality I possess. In my head, I need cleaning and that's the task at hand. I don't look at myself, I just get it done.

12. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Do you have male shampoo? I figured this helps a lot. I hated showering and no I actually like it. Stay away from mirrors where you can see your man boobs though.

13. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have rather neutral scents for soaps and shampoos and I find it helps some. Haha, yes, I definitely try and avoid mirrors as I know it freaks me out more.

14. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dysphoria is something we all experience to some degree. Mine is focused on my lack of breasts but I feel phantom breasts every day. I also get days where touching my thing is almost unbearable, even the feeling of it there, the weight of it. I tuck always when I'm out, because I feel like my bulge is too noticeable. I sympathize with transmasculine people because it's much harder to ignore breasts or a period for that matter.

Thanks all for sharing.

15. Glowing Eyes

It's actually alright for me in the shower to be honest. Maybe it's 'cause the water makes my skin slippery and I often hum to myself.

16. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I use all female products and that helps a lot, also I play music. I try not to focus on my body or think of my body as male. I think of my self as a female with an interesting genetic anomaly that caused me to have testosterone poisoning (logic being that if I had been born today I would probably be raised female) I do what I need to do and think about positive things in my life. If I do think about my body I'm focused on HRT changes but that's very recent.

17. WarmEmbrace

As far as mental gymnastics go, I found it hilarious at times to imagine that my real self is piloting a giant male-shaped semi organic Mech from behind my eyes. And the Mech needs periodic maintenance hence the shower.

Then again I did watch a bit too much anime as a kid so maybe it does not work for everyone :slight_smile:.

18. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha I really like this. I love anime so I bet that would let my imagination run loose instead of focusing on things.

19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, using the feminine products helped a lot. I was making myself smell like a girl, so I would be excited about that. I just try not to pay too much attention to my body, though sometimes I'll look down and be disappointed or sad, it mostly works.

20. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad it usually works for you :slight_smile: