1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

two sisters not straight

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jeki, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Jeki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is it normal that two sisters are not straight? I'm lesbian and I suppose that my sister is bixesual and now she has a girlfriend. I don't like this situation, it's very difficult to manage and for my parents will be a shock.
    Does someone have any advice for me?

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is very possible to have more than one family member identify as queer.

I don't know what to say about your parent situation, but hopefully they will be accepting.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is perfectly normal for two siblings to both be gay/bi. My advice is to leave it alone, as there's nothing you can do about your sister's sexuality, just as no one can do anything about yours.

4. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's as normal as one sister being not straight -- which is to say it's completely normal -- it's just a little less common. It doesn't change anything for either of you; you are both equally valid. You can both live your lives as you wish, and tell other people when you're ready.

It will be a shock for your parents, yes, but that does not make it wrong for either of you to come out; the reaction of your parents is not your fault. You and your sister do not need to coordinate your comings-out or make plans around each other unless you want to, but it could be helpful to discuss if/when you each intend to come out to your parents. This means the second person to come out can decide if they want to give your parents a "cooling-off period" and they will know to be prepared for your parents being surprised at a second queer daughter.

Remember that your sexualities do not automatically mean you are all that similar, you have similar thoughts about girlfriends, you want to come out at the same times, etc.. This is a good article on two siblings who were both transgender (an even rarer occurence than two siblings not being straight), and shows the different communities they were parts of and the different experiences they faced, despite being siblings. You are still yourself and your sister is herself, aand you both live your own lives.

5. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, like everyone else is saying, it's not a bad thing or not normal.

6. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    view it as a good thing! u have someone in ur fmaily that knows just how u are feeling and what u are going through. be there for each other and all will be fine. i am sure ur mum and dad will be happy.

7. Jeki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you all for your answer. I apprecciate it! Anyway, I think the problem is that my mum knows about me but she doesn't sure about my sister sexuality. She had a lot of time for speaking with my mom about her and when I came out my mother said me this was impossible because there is my sister with her sexuality. I couldn't speak well with her like my sister and I've suffered. Then she found a boyfriend and she serached boys and the things has changed. If she said about her girlfriend now, my parents being mad and she lives in another country but I live with them. She doesn't understand this, she continues to say me to come out but she doesn't support me and hates me because in this moment I can't think about her. I don't feel well.

8. xBlackFlowersx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Unless they're highly religious and really excited at the thought of Grandchildren, I don't think it will be too much of an issue for them. Do you know what your parents opinion on gay people is? And are you the only children they have?

I find it really fascinating personally ♥ Good luck to you! We're here if you need our help, though :slight_smile: Xx

9. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand why she would be angery with you, but I don't think she really hates you. She probably expected you to support her the most, because you have some idea of how hard it is too be different from what your parents expect. My advice is to support your sister because being bisexual doesn't have the support of community, research funding, society, or medical care that being lesbian or gay does. She really needs you.