1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotype?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadowgirl37, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (disclaimer: i don't know where this should be so feel free to move it) I go to an all-girls school, and I hreally like another gay girl there. I know that the school is very open and accepting when it comes to LGBT+, but I feel like I'm just reinforcing the stereotype that girls who go to all girls schools are all lesbians. Don't get me wrong I'm not ashamed of being a lesbian, I just don't know how I feel about the stereotypes. Any input?

2. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotypes are just stereotypes. Only ignorant people follow them word for word. There's just as much of a chance of having queer girls at an all girls school as at a co-ed school. Don't worry about it, it doesn't really matter and you shouldn't feel weird about it. I wear plaid, beanies, and converse, play softball, and have guy friends and I'm super gay! Do I laugh about how stereotypical I am at times? Hella yes! Do I feel ashamed about it and want to change how I act because of a stereotype? Nope! I am who I am :slight_smile:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This! :slight_smile:

Don't worry about it. You are who you are, and that's what is important.

4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally that stereotype makes me very uncomfortable, as I am a trans guy going to a girls' school. On top of it feeling weird that I am there to begin with, the thought of people assuming that I'm a lesbian makes me much more conscious of my apparent female status, which causes mayhem on the dysphoria side of things.

Having said that, I personally don't think any of the lesbians in my school are reinforcing that stereotype. After all, they are simply girls like everybody else when it comes down to it, only they just happen to be lesbians. Plus they are more of a minority, so the stereotype of all girls in those schools being lesbians makes little sense. Don't feel like you're reinforcing any stereotypes, because you're not. All you're doing is existing.

5. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    No hun you wouldn't be "reinforcing" a stereotype, anyone could be gay in that school and all it means is that they're gay. Anyone could be gay anywhere else and there wouldn't be a difference. You be you and if that's what's holding you back, then look that stereotype in the face and flip it off :slight_smile: lol

6. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not necessarily an accurate statistic, but if you go on the assumption that every 1/10 or 1/15 or even 1/25 people aren't straight, then you're bound to run in to another LGBT person at some point in any setting like a school or office, where there's a lot of people. You could meet someone anywhere at any time, don't let stereotypes stop you from doing that. :slight_smile:

7. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    like your post Candy Cutes,,love the signature! system was the first rock band I started listening to...when I was 11 lol

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that assumption is even true. It mostly comes from the idea that a lot of women will experiment with women in school since men are not available. But they are not lesbians, they are usually straight and curious. So it won't mean much.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't let the stereotypes win. You do whatever the hell you want to, and to hell with the stereotypes.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I never heard of that stereotype. Actually I picture girls schools as strict religious places where girls learn nothing but cooking and don't know fun. So you're not reinforcing as much as you think.

And why even bother? It's school, it should get a shitty reputation.