1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News What does the world think of Trump?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Love is love, Dec 19, 2016.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the general consensus of opinion in the UK, is that his election demeans the office of President of the US. Politicians from left and right didn't want him to win.

Many foreign leaders don't want to do business with Donald Trump either and that's going to have an impact, for sure. The standard diplomatic niceties will be observed, no doubt, and there will be a toleration of him as President, but the boorish rhetoric of his campaign has had an alienating effect that will inevitably cool relationships between America and its long term allies.

I do think there is an urgent need to diffuse tensions with Russia (not the same as acceding to Russia's will) and that may be one area where Trump can do some good. Much as I would have preferred Hillary Clinton as POTUS, her election would have done little to improve the current situation. Having said all of that, Trump's tactless approach could escalate tensions with China at a very delicate point.

2. Linkmaste

There is this really good quote about a bad person holding the cell key to a worse monster...

Either way, Trump seems to be either a puppet, a fool, or maybe a really good actor. I don't exactly like what he's offering to the table but like most politicians, he's a liar.

From a Canadian perspective, we want Trudeau to give him a good stare down and make sure he's not Trump's birch. American influence has Ben real here and frankly I'm sick of the crazy seeping up here. Just gotta see what happens I geuss.

3. Flowey

Who knows, Trump's presidency might turn out decent after all. In the next 4 year, I'm just gonna pretend America politics does not exist (which isn't hard to do) and then I will come back to see if the opinions of everyone who has commented here change.

4. Jellal

Looks like plenty of people in the USA gave their thoughts anyways. So I'll give my thoughts.

A few months ago I thought Trump would be the end of the world, total disaster, objectively worse candidate than Hillary. I don't believe that anymore, not at all. I actually feel very hopeful about the progress he could make that I know wouldn't have happened with Hillary. Will we get an end to America's forced international regime changes? I'm not sure, but there's a chance now that we've got a president who has been running a campaign largely as backlash to what Clinton's cabal made happen in Libya and Syria. And although I think it's going much too far to call for a muslim registry or to build a wall on the Mexican border, I agree with much stricter immigration policies which will inevitably be won through compromise by taking the harshest positions possible. I like how hard so much of the media has taken Trump's victory, I like that they're being caught spreading lies and that less and less people are believing them. Trump is an extremely satisfying upset, if not a healthy one.

I question a lot of Trump's cabinet picks and his own personal ethics, but I'm willing to commend him for whatever good he manages to achieve. I hope he does better than Obama.

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He's going to be awesome for business but terrible for anything else, including the people and the environment. He will make America Great Again but only the rich white people.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is actually one of the worst ways to analyse Trump.

His approach to the state's involvement in business is to centralise approval - rather than establishing broadly applicable laws and business principles, he would much rather choose when and where to intervene. That can be seen clearly in the Carrier incident, but also in his general approach to how he would pursue public-private infrastructure projects and more generally businesses' role in American society under his presidency. It is a personalised approach to governance, one which business doesn't like.

That approach works for the CEO of a company with limited national, still less global, importance. It doesn't work so well for the world's largest national economy, because it encourages individual rent-seeking and creates a model by which an inner circle of politicians and advisers can leverage their power over companies for electoral or personal gain. That causes anything ranging from inefficient government to poor investor confidence to full-blown systematic corruption, all of which have widespread consequences.

That's shit for business on a broad level because those which are 'in' have an advantage. Trump gains votes on the assumption that he's good for business generally. To emphasise that he's not even good for business is an important way to deflate that support, if not to detract from the Republicans more generally, then certainly from Trump himself.

7. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I some volunteer work with some eldery respectable ladies. The almost universal response to hearing that Trump was elected was : "That idiot....what were they thinking, may the Lord preserver us"

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A shining pinnacle of idiocy. A moron in charge of an army and nuclear weaponry. It couldn't possibly end horribly, huh? Going to appoint all the worst people into government seats to push back the progress that has happened lately. About as "two faced" as it gets... Practically an advertisement for assassination, but such would only make matters even worse.

Then his sidekick who succeeded in driving a state into the ground and wants to do the same to anyone that isn't one of his little "sheep". Fantastic. Somebody please take him back home, I'm afraid I don't understand how Lex Luther escaped the comic books.

But hey, at least we didn't get Cruz. Matters could have been more severe. :eusa_doh:

9. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On one hand, there won't be any more military interventions around the world. Good!

On the other hand, he's going to rub China the wrong way and possibly end the human species.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, there'll just be Russian military interventions thanks to a level of appeasement approaching open approval of the most brutal interventionist great power.

A fantastic, humane resolution to the problem of US interventions.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he's a horrible person, a bully and I'm embarrassed he'll be the president. Huge corporations have plenty of money and they have no intention of providing good paying jobs like they once did no matter what Trump claims. It's all about greed with them. They can't wait to pollute the air, water and land if they can make more money. I hope people regret voting for him, finally realize how horrible the gop is, stop voting against their best interests and voting for discrimination, inequality, etc, but they won't.

12. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm willing to give him a chance.

13. Goyangi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hillary Clinton scared me and I didn't trust her in the least bit. I trust businessmen more than politicians because politicians are given money to do what would be good for other people's business, not whats right for the people. Donald Trump isn't the best guy in the world but I feel like he might change some of the screw ups former presidents have have left the people to deal with.

14. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not American, so at the end of the day my opinion doesn't mean a whole lot.

My take on the election was that Trump and Hillary backed voters into a corner, in which both options were horrible. Trump was a sleaze, and Hillary was crazy. I can't really fathom what I would've done if I was an American on voting day.

I also think people are willing to put all the LGBT+ hate solely on Trump, despite Hillary clearly changing her platform to be LGBT+ friendly in order to pander to progressive millennials.

In the end, I just don't care anymore. I don't think he's super dangerous, it's not like he's got the end-all decision on everything. If anything it's his supporters (or a fraction of them) that are the dangerous ones. Going all-out because they believe their new president will allow them to be racist/sexist bigots.

Oh, and the whole "Trump isn't my president" movement is stupid. If you're American he is going to be your president. You don't have to like it, but it will happen. This argument only makes you look like someone who can't accept the fact that he won.

If anything this whole thing has just made me want to go to America even less (which I did not think possible - no offense to Americans on here).

15. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lying arse with no morality but his presidency will hopefully be pretty irrelevant.. He won't do most of what he says he'll do.

16. Stride

Stride Guest

Its like the USA has become a caricature of itself.

17. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can definitely say that i wont be voting again. From now on im gonna pull a George Carlin and just say to hell with it.