1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Charlotte repeals LGBT ordinance, NC lawmakers promise HB2 repeal tomorrow

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Dec 19, 2016.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Charlotte city council considers repeal of 'bathroom' law | The Charlotte Observer

I'm not seeing how this can be seen as a win myself. It's not like the NC GOP is going to let proper LGBT protections through at the state level any time soon.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without reading more about it, it sounds like the Charlotte city council members caved. That's unfortunate. The incoming governor had promised rescission of HB2 as one of his campaign platforms.

But that state has completely gone to shit over the past month anyway... the Repubs are doing everything possible to remove all semblance of democracy there.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    NC lawmakers to take up repeal of HB2, so-called 'bathroom bill' | The Charlotte Observer

Somehow I don't think HB2 is getting repealed today.

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree with this. I think it's wrong in general for the state to dictate to any city, Charlotte included, what laws they can pass that relate to just their city. The only exceptions would be if a city passed a law that was more restrictive of someones individual rights than state law. For example, if a city were to enact a discriminatory law against a group that wasn't currently allowed in state law. It shouldn't be the business of a state to impose upon a city just because they have their own laws.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    NC lawmakers to take up repeal of HB2, so-called 'bathroom bill' | The Charlotte Observer

Quote of the year material here -

Pot, kettle...

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. SkyDiver

I fucking despise Republicans.

8. iiimee

I am not from NC, but seeing my rights being taken away in a region of a country I supposedly belong to is sickening. How am I supposed to love a country that actively seeks to tear me down? I know I'm not the only trans person who's feeling this way.

#8 iiimee, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good things are usually obstructed by a barrier of morons, you see. You offer them a mattress free of charge and they push you aside to sleep on a bed of daggers just because they already have it. It's senseless to fear any and all change, for much of it is progress. They really had a chance to knock down the barricade too, shame.

It's happened before, a big chance to do good is shot down and left to rot. Remember the Equal Rights Act? Classic US.

#9 Kira, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  10. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Isn't HB2 bad?
    I think it's good if their getting rid of that. What else did they get rid of though?
    From Wikipedia:
    "HB2" redirects here. For the Texas law also called HB2, see Texas Senate Bill 5.
    The Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, officially called An Act to Provide for Single-sex Multiple Occupancy Bathroom and Changing Facilities in Schools and Public Agencies and to Create Statewide Consistency in Regulation of Employment and Public Accommodations but commonly known as House Bill 2 or HB2, is an act passed in the U.S. state of North Carolina in March 2016. Some opponents of the bill describe it as the most anti-LGBT legislation in the United States.[1][2][3][4] Some proponents of HB2 call it "common sense" legislation,[5][6][7] while advocates of repeal say replacing it with an anti-discrimination law is "common sense".[8]

One contentious element of the law eliminates anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and legislates that in government buildings, individuals may only use restrooms and changing facilities that correspond to the sex on their birth certificates.[9][10] This has been criticized because it prevents transgender people who do not or cannot alter their birth certificates from using the restroom consistent with their gender identity:[9] in North Carolina, only people who undergo sex reassignment surgery can change the sex on their birth certificates, and outside jurisdictions have different rules, some more restrictive.[11] The legislation changes the definition of sex in the state's anti-discrimination law to "the physical condition of being male or female, which is stated on a person's birth certificate."[12][13][14]