1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everlasting Love

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Enjel, Dec 18, 2016.

?

Does an Everlasting Love Between People Exist?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Hi :grin: I'm Enjel! How are you?

Do you believe in a type of destined, soulmate, serendipitous type of love that lasts forever?

I've been thinking about this for the passed several days or so because I was moved by the idea of perfection, and I need your vote; it's quite apparent that much of those in the LGBT+ Community are intellectual human beings so it'd be interesting to receive some insight on this.

Posts under this thread are welcome as well - of course - if you'd like to express what you think about this question in general.

Thank you! Have you a very Merry Christmas, and fun-filled and safe New Year's! :thumbsup:

2. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted "no," but to put some context behind my vote: I'm an optimist and hopeless romantic. I love the idea of the "perfect love," of two people who are just so meant to be together that fireworks go off and sparks fly between them every time they're together. :love:

However, I think it's more realistic that people have varying degrees of compatibility with each other. For example, my ex-husband and I are very compatible in a lot of our personality traits (which is why we got together in the first place), but he's attracted to men whereas I'm more attracted to women. That's why we make better friends than spouses. :slight_smile: It also helps explain why there are people who are perfectly happy in polygamous or polyamorous relationships; they have high compatibility with more than one person.

Even though it sounds less romantic to think of love this way, it also relieves some pressure from feeling like you have to find that "perfect person." :icon_wink You can focus more on the ways that you're compatible with different people, both as romantic and platonic partners.

3. iiimee

I voted "no" because I think that most people's concept of everlasting love is that the people are destined to be together and are always in that "honeymoon" phase of their relationship. This is highly unrealistic. Sorry, but chances are you will get bored of your partner to some degree, even if you love having them around, and arguments are bound to come up at least occasionally... Still, can you have a lifetime partner whom you adore? Yes, but as I said- you will have many moments when you're bored of them or even lust after other people. This is normal, even if you are happy monogamous "soulmates".

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I do believe it exists. I'm a hopeless romantic.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't believe in a destined soulmate. But I do believe two people are capable of being in love with each other for the rest of their lives.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said, I do believe that it is possible to find someone that is special and that you can be happy with for the rest of your life.

That said, I don't believe that the person is your soul mate, or that you were destined to find that person. Love is something that requires a certain amount of effort (in a non-destructive way, of course, or the relationship becomes unhealthy). There will be days when you will be mad at each other. There will be moments when you need your space. In resume: Things will not be perfect everyday.

However, as I said, it is possible to be happy with someone for a long period, or for the rest of your life. But things are not as romantic and beautiful like in movies. A relationship will have problems, and will require a certain amount of effort to maintain.

Nowadays, people are being too immediate. Many people only want the good part of the relationships, and aren't willing to put effort on it to make things work.

Now, it is important to balance things. There are many destructive relationships that aren't worth the effort. If you hang out with your friends on Saturday, but there is an art event you partner wants to go with you, in most cases it is worth the effort to go to the event with your partner. However, if your partner is being possessive and he/she never wants you to hang out with your friends, then things are becoming destructive. So it is important to balance things.

In resume: Yes, it is possible to find that someone special, but things aren't 100% perfect like in movies. A relationship takes a certain amount of effort, but pay attention if the effort is coming from both parts and things are healthy, or if the relationship is being hard to maintain and it is best to let it go.

7. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I voted no because one is going to die eventually if the relationship lasts until death. I stress, *until* death.

In that sense, an 'everlasting' love do not exist. I think love that lasts until death definitely exists.

But then I lack experience in relationships in general so..

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that people can be together for life: just look at old couples who love each other despite being together for 50 years. However, I voted "no" because that's not how they were somehow "meant" to be. It wasn't planned out by some sky-god, it just happened to go that way. Which is nice.