1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career Paths

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaden216, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious as to what others' career paths are. :slight_smile:

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a zookeeper, since I loved animals so much. :lol: Then, sometime around 6th grade, I decided I wanted to be a psychologist. I got my undergrad degree in psychology and eventually got my Master's degree in school counseling. I'm currently an elementary school counselor (a job which I love! :love:slight_smile:, but when I'm ready to retire from school counseling (a loooooong time from now), I might want to get my PhD and become a college professor. :grin:

What about you? What did you want to be when you were a kid? What job do you have now? What career would you like in the future? :thumbsup:

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a kid, I wanted to be a firefighter. Then around high school, I wanted to be an Animal Control Officer, then I got a part-time job working in a vet's office, when I then wanted to pursue a career working as a Vet Tech. After trying to apply to colleges and universities and getting denied, I found Theatre Production, I loved theatre in high school, so I applied to that and got accepted!

I'm currently a full-time student at University.

In the future, I'd like to either work at a small theatre just outside the city, or on a cruise ship.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to college for library sciences (librarian). I wanted to be a writer, but I just decided to do it for fun only.

4. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still unsure what path I'll take career wise, I'd actually love to be either a forensic or clinical psychologist, but I'm currently a medical transcriptionist. I actually really enjoy it and wouldn't have a problem doing it my entire life but I do absolutely love psychology so I guess we'll see.

5. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet. I loved watching shows around veterinary sciences, and was really into the whole scene. As I got older though I started to get a bit nauseous around blood/guts, so that cut that career choice in two. That, along with the fact that my grades faltered and I don't even want to know what my GPA is. Not good enough to go into sciences, that much I can infer.

Now I want to pursue the career path of being an English Professor. My mother and my grandmother were both teachers, and I guess that kind of instilled the desire to want to teach others. I don't want to do grade-school/highschool however, given the fact that I'd likely want to skin my students. (I am not good with kids.) So I have to go down the path of teaching adults, and teaching them something I'm passionate about.

I could take me upwards of 9 years (and no fewer than 4/5) to get my PhD in English, though I'm willing to commit to that.

In an ideal world I write freelance in my spare time, while teaching at a university. Will that dream ever come to fruition? It might. No, it will. I'll make it happen.

6. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wanted to be an electrician when I was a kid, something about fixing things that are broken seemed appealing to me. However, in school, I was better at learning new languages than physics and math, so I got pushed into studying social science even though I wasn't interested in working with it.
    When I finished I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I did a little bit of this and that. I worked as a freelance photographer for a newspaper, I worked at a factory assembling electronics, soldering. I also got some work building websites and designing websites, and that's when I started getting an interest in coding. I finally decided that I wanted to work with computers so I took some uni courses in programming and networking. Loved it, decided to get a degree in computer science.

Currently working in web development, but I'm more interested in systems development so I will most likely make a switch next year. I already have some offers on the table but haven't made any decision yet.

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had many stages as a child of what I wanted to be, all of which were all across the board. In the end, though, I've decided I really want to be an actor. I know it's a bit of an uphill battle to make a career of that, but it's truly what I want to do. I'm currently getting my associate's degree in theatre at a community college.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to be involved in Video Games. Eventually, I found that I really like learning the Japanese language and it's culture. as a result, I want to go into translation but my dream job would be to go into game localization. Currently, I'm a full time student.

#8 kibou97, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a kid, I had over 20 dream careers. The earliest was living a duel life as a Power Ranger and an astronomer for NASA. By the time I got to middle school; I wanted to be a mortician, crime scene investigator, robotics engineer, animator, voice actor, chemist, demonologist, musician, paranormal investigator, director, playwright, actor, and stunt coordinator to name a few.

These days, I'm more focused on being a writer/screenwriter, director, producer, and hopefully a SFX artist.

10. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a kid I wanted to be a geologist.

Then I did a degree in fashion design at college.

Then I joined the army and became a soldier.

Left the army and own my own company doing offshore fire fighting equipment and have done this since 1999.

I think was confused when I was young

11. Love is love

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to be a lawyer, or a journalist. Something about judging on moral issues seems to appeal to me.
    -Love

12. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wanted to be a conservation officer.

13. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Statistician or forensic scientist

14. Jackie13

As a child, wanted to work in an office as an accountant or professional assistant. Also wanted to be a pilot or an astronaut.

I actually am an accountant currently, what do you know! I looked into flying lessons, but due to health reasons, that dream is out of reach. Same thing about being an astronaut. The dream of being a pilot was hard to give up.....

What I'd like to do is study languages and be a linguist, translator maybe. But right now, my full time job is beating cancer. We will see where life leads once that is behind me.

15. SiKiHe

Well right now I've got a job pushing papers. But I have a college degree in theatrical arts, specific to acting. I thought about teaching theater but I don't think I have the patience. Right now I just want to get by happily enough and have time to write, paint and game.

16. Calypto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only two dream careers was to either be a teacher or a train driver.

Studied nautical sciences and worked at sea for 3 years. Decided the sea was not for me, missed land too much.

Now I am a complaint handler for one of the "Big Six" energy suppliers (UK).

17. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a kid I went through phases where I wanted to be either a vet (first one, because I always loved animals), then an obstetrician, then pediatrician, & then a teacher. I also remember wanting to be a writer for a while lol because one my teachers really liked my writing & encouraged me.
    For a few years now though I've set my mind on psychology and that's what I'm planning on majoring in, specifically forensic psychology. Even thought clinical psychology is also an option still. But yeah, now I cant really picture myself doing something not psychology related.

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I either wanna go into human resources, para legal, or be an accountant.

19. AshBl32

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am 16 years old now and a Junoir in High School. I have wanted to be a Physical Theapist ever since I was in Middle School because of pervious events. But I play Softball and Soccer hoping to go to college to play both and get scholarships. The only problem being that, I am getting emails from coaches and I went to do some research on the school. Only finding that they don't have a PT major. So I feel like if I don't go to college to be one I would have to do Criminal Justice. My dad is in the field and he doesn't make that much money and he is really good at his job. A Traveling PT makes around $100,000 a year and a CJ doesn't make nearly that. I am WANTING to do PT.

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a film director. This desire persisted until I was sixteen and decided upon a different path more suited to my natural disposition and interests.

Currently I am unemployed (partly due to my stubborn refusal to be flipping burgers when I could be reading books). But I will be going to university next autumn to study psychology. I intend on studying a bit of neuroscience as well, hopefully to land a career in the field of psychiatry or neuropsychology. I'm not terribly picky; I only want a job where I can study the mind and help people with their mental health, from both a neurobiological and psychological perspective.