1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legalization of gay marriage across the world

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Georgia111, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Georgia111

Hi y'all. Do you ever think there will come a time when gay marriage will be legal everywhere?

2. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see that happening in the next 100years or 200.That's because many countries are still homophobic for cultural and religious reasons,and its gonna take a long time to change that mentality
    But as time goes by,people usually change their way of thinking,so hopefully a century from now counties across the world will legalize it.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Probably not. Some cultures/religions will definitely never allow it. The only way that would happen is if the cultures/religions themselves change (which isn't likely) or disappear/lose power (which also isn't likely).

#3 Skaros, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I very much doubt that timeframe. Even if Western social liberalism were a phenomenon guaranteed to continue throughout the coming centuries, vast swaths of Africa, South Asia and South-East Asia and the Middle East are progressing into periods of more widespread and more radically conservative religiousness.

That conservative religiosity is a trend unlikely to be turned around in such a short timeframe as two hundred years. I think the greatest we can hope for in terms of improving the level at which a universal standard occurs is the abolition of the death penalty and reduced sentences for gay sex within the next one hundred or so years.

I'm not pessimistic about the possibilities of improvement, however. Comprehensive change requires at least three broad things to happen, all of which are realistic.

The first is the triumph of social liberalism within the West, resulting in the West's institutions both internally and externally encouraging LGBT rights with a popular mandate. I genuinely don't think that's too tall an order, despite the trauma and apprehension of the state of Western politics we're going through.

The second is the West's ability to maintain global predominance and, according to socially liberal and interventionist political philosophies carrying over from the first point, be willing to pressure or force other governments to change their policies regarding LGBT people. That requires a simultaneous ability to encourage wholesale, organic change in some conservative societies as well as acknowledging the limitations and risks of such broad reform and, elsewhere, asking for specific outcomes that ameliorate LGBT suffering from the top-down. This is a necessary step which I feel is the most tenuous, and the value of the first is largely dependent on this step, and the third step is likely to fail without it.

The third is for endogenous change to occur within conservative societies. That internal pressure, without external support, could easily be crushed and defeated because of the relatively low numbers of people directly at stake in LGBT rights and would need to be incorporated into a general movement of social and political liberalisation. For example, it is hard to see gay men having a strong political voice in Iran. It's less hard to see a women's liberation movement gaining successes in the coming decades, a movement to which gay men (and women) in Iran could feasibly use as stepping stone or (very optimistically) a joint movement to achieve gay liberation.

Those changes are enormous and require LGBT rights to be pursued among an enormous array of other political goals internationally. Even in the best scenarios where all three things above happen, there will be setbacks, there will be moments that seem like betrayals and advances that seem disappointingly small from the perspective of those of us living in free societies. But those small steps, such as moving from the death penalty to life sentences and from life sentences to short sentences and finally to decriminalisation, make an enormous difference in the lives of LGBT people globally.

I do not see universal same-sex marriage as a possibility within the next few hundred years. But that is by no means a reason to lose heart. It does, however, mean that to realistically pursue LGBT rights you must take a broader view of how a better world is achieved and don't isolate LGBT issues from other human rights, political, legal, strategic and economic issues. That comes with a great deal of moral debate and the implementation of tools seemingly far removed from LGBT rights.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt it.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only if stable, unbiased, and reliable education were to become a global norm. So not anytime soon to put it lightly, where there is progress a significant portion of humanity will always stand against it.

Many people raise their children to be practically clones of themselves, keeping the cycle going. To end this cycle a significant amount of people must break free and question. People need less propaganda and more truth. Then the rational thinkers will educate their peers of our harmlessness.

The problem with progress in human history is, the people who try to keep the rest from moving forward can become violent when their power and authority is threatened.

Edit: To summarize, not in this century but perhaps in the future. Maybe wisdom can make a comeback later in time.

#6 Kira, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. Linkmaste

Unfortunately, not without the consequence of radical cultural change and implement of perhaps a different power. Not saying it will be bad but the cultures that are against gay marriage tend to be rooted in their beliefs.

I wish it could happen sooner than later but Aussia792 hit the nail on the head. The time frame is unlikely. Unless some radical movement came in a wiped out all cultures that are against it, (which is bad) the countries that do support it need to be beacons to those who need the outreach.

It's just sad to think about. This happens to people at birth, and they in a way lose their right to live in their country peacefully and freely at the luck of the draw.

8. Iloveyoubabe

Iloveyoubabe Guest

I wish, but it would be highly unlikely. If it does happen, I don't see it happening for another few hundred years. There are still many countries that are just still too homophobic.

9. MewDew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it will happen eventually as long as we all keep getting our voices heard and spreading our ideas to more places. It will take a very long time, but I believe that it will happen eventually.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will take centuries, if not millennia for the entire world to legalize gay marriage. The Middle East has about the same rate of progress as the American south does it seems.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It won't be anytime soon. Many countries don't even have basic rights for women and non-white people.

12. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe eventually but there's no way it'd happen within our lifetimes.

13. SkyDiver

Not for a looooooong time, if ever.

My guess is that progress will stall for the next 10-20 years as much of the planet temporarily moves towards the right, but we can still probably get to 40 or so countries? (We're at 21 right now). I think it's reasonable to say that Mexico, Australia, much of South America, the remaining Western European countries, some Eastern European countries, and a couple countries scattered in Africa and Asia will have it by 2030.

I think things will definitely pick up mid-century, as the stigma behind same-sex marriage rapidly erases in most parts of the world. Expect the holdouts to mostly be in the Middle East and Northern Africa. There will probably still be 10 or 20 left to do so by the time we're all gone.

To me, China is the game-changer. I think once they allow it (which is looking more and more likely to be in the next couple of decades), it's game-over for the anti-same-sex marriage movement.