1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really not sure about genderqueer people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really confused about genderqueer people. I've done research about genderqueer people, but I don't know if I believe it's a thing. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not entirely convinced they're fake either.

2. KayJay

I have a little bit of the same issue and I try to be understanding cause I can relate to being invalidated. I still call people by their pronouns they request and stuff.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think non-binary people are real, especially if they feel dysphoria of some kind (physically, socially). But a lot of younger people are too caught up in gender roles and think they can't be a woman or man if they don't fit the rigid roles. Even binary trans people don't fit gender roles 100% of the time.

4. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Would you say you feel female?

If so, consider that some people feel male instead, and humans are complicated so it's not that big a stretch that some people won't fit neatly into feeling one or the other. They might feel something else entirely, or they might feel both male and female at once, or they might feel no gender at all. Look at your own feeling of being female, and think about how it could be different, and how some people might not feel the same thing.

If not, consider that some people do have a very strong feeling of their gender as male or female, and again it's not a big stretch that some people will have a different feeling altogether. Consider that people might interpret "gender" in different ways (an internal feeling, part of one's personality, preferred pronouns, preferred presentation, the sex of the body one wants, probably more things I can't think of right now), so not everyone is always talking about the same thing when they talk about gender. Consider that some people might be like you and not have an internal feeling of gender, and then they label that as being agender because they feel it fits and it is a useful label to them (note: this doesn't mean it has to fit you or be something you want to identify as).

Whatever your conclusion, remember to treat people with respect. Refer to them in their preferred manner, believe that they are sincere in what they feel (even if you can't imagine feeling it yourself), include them even if you don't understand them.

5. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know what to think honestly but, I think we should remain open minded...it's always hard to know what someone else is going through or what they truly feel deep down

6. iiimee

There's zero scientific evidence for genderqueer, so beyond socially, you could argue that it doesn't exist. However, I do respect people with that label because personally, while I know there is no way that they can have a brain that is neither male nor female, I do know that being accepted socially is a huge issue for all sorts of people, trans or not. I'm sure that many people who have male bodies and female brains, or female bodies and male brains, choose this label because it feels like a much easier transition- and I'm sure that people whose brain technically aligns use this label too. This does not invalidate them entirely I think, because they are still striving to transition into a new social role than what they were assigned/is expected of them, but from a scientific standpoint genderqueer does not hold up to scrutiny... Still, if someone refuses gendered pronouns or likes both pronouns, who am I to judge?