1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you keep your last name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have often wondered whether I will end up keeping my last name, or changing it when I go for my first and middle names.

I am estranged from most of my extended family and will be moreso after beginning transition. So taking on an extended family surname isn't an option. But my last name is tied to my birth family - who want nothing to do with a transgender son. So why should I keep it? Then again, what would I change it to?

At any rate, are you intending to keep your last name or change it, and why?

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I will not change my last name because I don't have the possibility in Germany.

3. Lulamoon

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll probably keep my last name, but I'm not sure...
    There are currently only three members of my family with my last name: my dad, my brother, and myself. Everyone else in the family has a different last name, thank goodness. That side of the family is full of idiots, and that's putting it nicely.
    The reason I might change my last name isn't because my family doesn't like me being transgender, in fact they're surprisingly accepting of it. The reason is because my dad and brother are... jerks, to put it nicely. Those two are constantly butting heads with each other, and dragging me into it. I'm honestly surprised there has been very little physical violence over the past few years. I'm just not sure I want to associate myself with them after I finally move out. At the same time, they are my family and as much as we fight, I still love them.

Then, of course, there's the matter of what would I change it to? First and middle name were easy, but thinking of a new last name isn't. I suppose if I get married I can take my spouse's last name.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll probably be keeping my surname. It's a local name with important ties to my family history and heritage so I'm quite proud of it.

5. KayJay

I kept my last name. I don't see a reason to change it even if I had no contact with any family. If i got married I'd change it though probably

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keeping whole name, even the middle name after my father still to honor him.

7. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm keeping my last name because it's simpler and easier, plus I like it well enough. I sort of considered changing the spelling to make a pun, but it's not worth it for me and it would just lead to confusion. I can only imagine seriously changing it if I get married or if I fall out with everyone in my immediate family (or I fall out with just some of them, but the remaining family members and I decide on a new name together). In that case, I don't know what I would change it to; I might pick something from elsewhere on the family tree, I might choose the same name as a close friend, I might pick something entirely different with special meaning to me.

Like Kasey, I also happen to be keeping my middle name. (Unlike her, I'm changing my first name, though.) It's a value and it's only ever used as a name for girls, never guys, but I can be the first. The value is important to me and I'm hoping my mum will be honoured by my keeping that name she gave me. For most of my life I felt like my first name was fine but my middle name didn't fit, so it's quite funny that now it's the other way around.

8. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I do change my last name I'll change it to Hope (which happens to be my middle name) because all my other names go with it - Seth, Ollie and Alexander - but I probably won't. There's nothing wrong with my last name.

9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll probably keep it. Though if my family are real jerks, I'll probably just take my current first name and make it my sir name...though I may change it when I get married...

10. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan on keeping it, I love my last name.

11. Natasha Elyssa

I like my last name, as it's the only last name I've ever had, but I do want to change it. I want to separate myself from my family. Plus, there are plenty of other people in my family to continue my name, so I don't think it's necessary for me. And, I don't know what my family will do when word gets out in the next year or two, so I'll definitely change it pending the response from my family. If they're jerks about it, I'm definitely going to change it. If they're not (most likely "meh" about it), I'm still probably gonna change it. I also feel that changing my last name would be a great addition to my new start in life. New life, new name. ^-^ <3

12. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I could transition, I'd probably keep my last name. I wouldn't like to change everything about my name, if only to keep things somewhat simple. However if my parents decided to disown me or something else, then I'd change it. There would be no point in keeping my family name if I were isolated from them. I'd keep my initials though.

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    last name? yes. so few of us I the family tree and not to confuse the issue for my son. keeping the first name, just changing the spelling to a more feminine spelling/pronunciation and making that my middle name as I never had one; the only one in the family to not have one for some reason.

14. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would change it. I wouldn't want ties with a transphobic and unsupportive family.

15. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't change it since my family has been very supportive throughout my transition and mental health issues, I'm very grateful for it, so I wouldn't want to change it.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took my partner's last name when we got married. I wouldn't have kept mind anyway because of my hostility towards my dad.

17. Rozco

I am keeping mine because I share a name with my dad and grandfather and they are both my role models. Sure, my dad isn't too accepting, but my grandfather was a beautiful human being. I'm taking his first name eventually. I'm proud to be able to be the third gen male to have the same three names in my family. Also my last name is one of French royalty so aha it's a keeper :wink: