1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Pay safe?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Akira12, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Debating on using Apple Pay on my iPhone 6s Plus but not completely sure how safe it is so thought I'd ask if anyone uses it? Is it safe? Better then physically using your card or?

2. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also as another question and it's not letting me edit it...should I use a case for my iPhone 6s Plus? The otterbox commuter case I got annoys me with the way it's positioned and seems slippier then without the case. However I don't wanna drop it and have it shatter so I'm not to sure lol. Any advice would be lovely.

3. starfish

Yes Apple Pay is safe, and is actually safer than using a traditional card.

I have not worked on ApplePay, but I used to work in the payment card industry. First for a card issuer and then for a payment network. I'll let you guess which one.

Here is my understanding of how Apple pay works, at a high level.

When you register the card with Apple Pay apple sends the Card Number (PAN) to the bank, but Apple does not store it.
    The bank generates a new card number for the phone called the Device PAN.
    Apple Stores the Device PAN and sends the Device PAN back to the phone.

Any time you use Apple Pay, the phone sends the Device PAN to the terminal, which in turn works it way back to you bank. At the same time your phone sends a message to Apple that an transaction was authenticated with the TouchID on the phone.

When the bank receives a transaction with the Device PAN, they contact Apple to see if it was authenticated. If it was authenticated, they send an approval to the terminal. They then look up with PAN associated with the Device PAN, and take the money out of your account.

In the event the PAN is compromised, and they attempt to use it, the transaction will be declined as the phone did not authenticate it.

At a high level this is called tokenization, and like I said I have not worked on Apple Pay, but I have worked on other tokenization systems.

Google and Samsung both have similar systems. The implementation is different, but it works the same at a high level.

#3 starfish, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016