1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with unintentional(?) homophobic remarks from family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LittleMouse, Dec 15, 2016.

1. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So yesterday I was having a meal with parents when a news story triggered a discussion about gay & bisexual people, including a comment about how promiscuous 'the gays' can be.

I don't think they realised but they were being rather homophobic.

How do you deal with these remarks when you're not out and don't want to out yourself in that situation? Especially with family, I think it's easier with friends.

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You just.. don't involve yourself? Don't feel responsible to educate your parents, things should be the other way round actually. If you think you can chime in without risking to out yourself, that's great. However, if the question arises, you should be aware that you'd have to be lying unless you want to come out there and then.

3. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This homophobia just sounds like ignorance to me, and if it's not an issue they can relate with or identify with (they don't know your true sexuality, and I'm presuming they probably don't know any LGBT+ individuals they are close to) these sorts of comments can happen. I'm not saying it's right, but without any other information I'd assume it's fairly benign. If you want and feel comfortable with it, you can engage in the conversation and slowly work through their misconceptions. As long as you chip away at it, you won't be giving anything away.

Remarks in my family were a lot more homophobic but were still ultimately borne out of ignorance. Within a few months after coming out, their attitudes changed. One of the big life lessons my family has learnt is not to dismiss the experiences of other people, even if the experience is something you simply cannot understand or relate to. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. I know, not nice to contemplate. But if you feel vulnerable about coming out, it may be best not to bring up the topic of homophobia until you are ready to come out. Making your opinion known could have the effect of turning attention
    on you.

I don't know your home situation (how confrontational your family can be) but this is the best I can think of. If you feel you have a chance though, go for it.

And if you have a hard time holding your tongue, pillows are always handy punching bags. :wink:

Sebby45

5. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know your relationship with your family, but there are three ways I usually deal with mine:
    1. Politely tell them that I disagree.
    2. Refer to a person in my circle of friends that doesn't fit into said stereotype
    3. Change the subject so that I don't have to listen to more of it

I spent 1 month with my family this summer, and that was enough. I love them but they make racist, homophobic and otherwise... well, not cool comments on a daily basis.
    I don't let things like that slip without making it known that I disagree. I never even thought about the possibility of that outing me.

6. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. Yes it's not usually anything too major, but still irritating. I think it probably is ignorance as nobody else in the extended family is LGBT and as far as I'm aware none of their friends are either.

I might try referring to other people who don't fit the stereotype if it goes with the conversation. Other than that I just change the subject.
    I think they'll probably be absolutely fine when I do come out but there just hasn't been a good time. I'm back living with them for a while and I think I may wait until I move out again but it just depends.

7. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad we were able to help! Good luck! :slight_smile: