1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents? (Also grandparents)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by h4zey, Dec 12, 2016.

1. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    okay so i've come out to most of my aunts and they've been supportive and cool about it. (this was a few years ago) i want to come out to my parents... but, my mum is kinda a jerk though i feel she'll come around way more easier cuz i atleast told her last year that i was "gay" even though it's not completely true... i just said that cuz it was easier and she's more accepting with gays. but the problem is my dad and gma (his mum) they don't even kno that i like girls and they're kinda violent and toxic. i lived with my dad a few years and he was abusive (emotionally and a little physically) he blows up over every little thing so i'm scared to come out to him - the same goes for my gma. she thinks the lgbt community is not normal and they should go to hell :frowning2: i also been living with her for almost 3 years.. i wouldn't be so worried about their opinions if i was more confident and independent i rely heavily on family members for everything cuz i have bad ADHD and anxiety - so i struggle with basic things like spending money and leaving the house due to anxiety and dysphoria and low self esteem. how should i come out?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm sorry they're like that. Honestly, given what you said, it seems like it would be unsafe to come out to them, or at least to your dad and grandmother. your safety always comes first. Also, do you think you may be able to move out at some point? Because that would be your safest option if you're going to come out to them.
    Only you can decide if you're ready of course, but just consider the risks that may be involved. It is great though that some of your other relatives have been supportive so in the event you do come out, they can have your back. You could even have them be there or let them know when you're coming out so they can help if things don't go well. Best of luck~

3. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah thanks!