1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I Screwed This Up Too Much?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by afgirl, Dec 11, 2016.

1. afgirl

I have been away for awhile. Things got a bit hectic and crazy in my life, and everything sort of blew up in my face and here I am. I have the feeling I will be on the receiving end of a lot of criticism should I get a response, but I am at my wit's end.

I have been with my girlfriend since October of last year. Around October of this year we had an argument and my gf basically let me have it about not ever coming to my house. I live in a rural community, and my daughter is not pleased with my current situation, so I have kept it out of her sight (additionally at the recommendation of our counselor) in order to keep the peace. My daughter is very headstrong and angry much of the time. When she initially found out about my relationship, she went so far as to physically attack me. That's where I called Law Enforcement and got recommendations, which were basically to seek counseling immediately, obviously I did. The counseling has never been focused on my relationship with my gf, but more my relationship with my daughter. The counselor wanted her to bring it up. She finally did, but it has not been what I had hoped in the way of making progress.

Anyway, back to my gf. Since she became angry in October, everything has changed. We are pretty much hanging by a thread. I changed jobs and now I don't see her very often at all. Sex is nonexistent. We are both angry. She is angry that I have not integrated her into my life more, which yes, I see the point, although I didn't think her coming to my house was such a huge issue, but it means a lot to her, as I have come to discover. I am angry because the amazing girl who loved me so much, and treated me better than anyone has ever treated me in my life is gone. We have tried to meet and discuss this, most recently last night. This turned into another huge argument, leaving us both close to tears at times, yelling at each other at others.

She is unhappy living here and hates her job. We both worked at the same place, and I recently moved to another agency because it was so awful. She wants to move closer to her mom and family. This also hurts me because I feel like I have to worry if she will transfer and leave and then all this is for nothing. I have to stay in this area for another 2 1/2 years minimum because my daughter is currently in high school.

Anyway, yes I know this is long, and if you're still reading, you have amazing patience. Well, she wants to go to counseling with me. She wants to be part of my family. But the anger with how both of us are dealing with this makes me wonder if it's even worth it. Can it ever get back to the way it was? I don't think either of us are convinced it can, but I think deep down we both hope it does.

She is my first gf. I love her dearly. However, I don't know if I am dealing with this right. I am used to the dynamics of a male/female relationship. I don't know what to do. In the morning after this latest failed attempt at resolution I am sad, and thoughtful. I am totally willing to take her to our counselor, as this is a family advocacy counselor, and this ultimately has to do with integrating my family. Please keep in mind that my daughter absolutely hates the idea of her, does not want her in this house, and is terrified that people around here will find out. Her assumptions, which unfortunately is true in this area, is that people won't let their kids come to my house if it is known that I am gay.

I know this is a lot, but I would like some honest input. I do not want to lose this woman, but I don't want the relationship as it stands now. Being brutally honest is fine. I wish she had been a bit earlier in the relationship.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm sorry you are in this situation it sucks. I can see it from both sides, I totally understand why you have kept your daughter and girlfriend apart but at the same time I totally see why that is upsetting your girlfriend. I think it's probably been bugging her for a while and then now when it's all built up has let it all out.

I think it is possible for it to go back to how it was but there is never a guarentee and everyone needs to be invested in it and by that I mean both you and your girlfriend. I kind of think what do you have to lose by taking her to counselling, it's not going to be a quick fix of course but maybe it will show commitment from your part to your girlfriend in trying to fix what is upsetting her and at the same time talking together with a third party present might help you both get across what needs to be said and dealt with.
    You might take her and it still might not work but what have you got to lose?

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi afgirl,

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I feel, as a mom, I understand your actions and your intention to get through this tough time with your daughter before bringing your girlfriend more fully into your life. I don't think you're wrong. But on the other hadn, I understand her pain and her wish to move on based on the way things are. It's really hard to accept I'm sure, but I feel like there are just times when relationships don't work because both people have different needs at the time.

Take this time to make progress with your daughter. You'll get through it. And I'm sure you will meet someone else when you're ready to let someone fully into your life.

4. afgirl

Thank you. Things with my daughter have been better recently solely because I am not going out as I was to see my gf. I think she believes it is over, which is what she wanted in the first place. Yes, I guess my fear in going through all this and having her move or leave. I tend to keep people at arm's length in general, and I know that's my issue. But then again, I have spent the last couple of months crying and being a general emotional mess. I miss the lady so much....it just hurts all the time.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw, so many hugs hun. (*hug*) I know you must be really missing her.

I think that your daughter will have to learn that you are going to have partners, and that your identity will not change. How old is she? It sounds like she is a teen? I don't have a lot of advice on teens... but lotts of empathy. I'm sorry your relationship with her has struggled so much.

6. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No you will not receive critiscism, you have done nothing wrong at all. All you have done is try and be happy and try and keep others happy as well. Nothing wrong with that sentiment.

I am not qualified in any way to advise on bringing up a daughter but I agree with baristajedi in that daughter will have to learn. I would also add that she should want you to be happy.

Sorry I cant offer advice but I am thinkimg good thoughts for you (&&&)

7. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I'd be doing more work with your daughter on difference and acceptance of other people including yourself. It sounds like she is controlling and manipulative.Also I'd be telling her that if she ever raises so much as a hand to me again then shed be going into care full stop. I wouldnt be putting up with her like she is, shes having you over a barrell.
    You have the right to a private life/realtionship without your daughter kicking off.
    Is her Dad around? and if so would he be able to give you some support with her? Sorry you have to go through all this but I think you need to put your foot down.

8. afgirl

This is definitely a possibility. I guess I really didn't realize how in trouble we were, although she doesn't understand how I didn't realize it. It just hurts and this just sucks.

I wish we lived somewhere else. I don't think it would be such a big deal. This is rural Mississippi and it's just like stepping back in time about 25 years when it comes to things like this. My gf is totally out and has been since she was a teenager, so this completely baffles her to some extent. I think my teenage daughter doesn't really worry about me being happy at this point. To be fair to her, it would be difficult for her socially if this were public knowledge. Again, this sucks.

Her dad is not in her life at all, and provides no support financially or otherwise. I suppose this makes me treat her a little differently in that she has had to put up with a lot of bs that she has no control over. In the process I very well may have created a monster. I hope not, but right now I just wish I could go back and raise her a little differently. Oh well, what's done is done.

Anyway, just talked to gf. She is also unhappy with her job here. I admit it is a miserable place to work. I worked there as well...that's where we met, and I transferred to another agency, which really isn't an option for her. She is willing to meet with our counselor, so I guess I will call and get an appointment and just see if I can see her without my daughter and bring gf along, as this is a family advocacy counselor. My gf questions this counselor,as she has not really resolved any of our issues. However, gf is not committing to anything just yet. We even discussed whether we were officially together, which neither of us seem to be able to decide either.

I love her so much, but I feel like she left the relationship a year in, due to my lack of changing anything, which I understand. I just don't know if we can get it back. Both of us seem to be willing to try, but I feel like I'm the one who wants this to work. It hurts so much I just sort of want to say F*ck it, and be done. I feel like the band-aid is being ripped off so very slowly.

9. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Are there any gay/lesbian family groups you could link in with? maybe they would be able to give you some support. Could your girlfriend look for alternative employment? or self employment even? theres nothing worse than being in a job you hate, it can really drag you down.

10. TreeTurtle137

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a believer that love can conquer all. Love isn't neediness or judgment though. It's understanding, empathy, respect. I think if the love is there you can definitely heal this. Your relationship will not be the same as it was though, it will go to a new place - and if you get there via love (acceptance, understanding, connection), it will be even more beautiful than when you first fell in love.

I think if I was you, I'd try and let love guide me in all my decisions. Even with my daughter. You are her example. Yes, you're trying to protect her but this is also a learning curve she may need to experience. Maybe there's a middle ground you can find with her? For example, perhaps she can agree to meet and know your girlfriend (slowly) but that you won't come out while she's in school.

Good luck. My heart's with you.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww thats so tough it is awful that you dont live in a more accepting place but like you said there is nothing that you can do about that right now.
    Maybe you should set yourself some boundaries, so maybe see how the first session goes with the counsellor and your girlfriend and then give yourself a set number of further sessions by which point you agree to make a decision one way or the other depending on how it is going.

Looking back and wishing you had done things differently is only natural but you can only do your best at the time.

12. afgirl

I guess I never looked at it this way. Yeah, I know the cliche and all, but I keep telling her I want what we had. I want that girl. I really just want someone who treats me well. She went from someone who would bring me cards and little gifts for no good reason to pretty much ignoring my birthday, which really kind of hurt, but we talked about it. She really pretty much quit on me...and sadly, I didn't realize, just thought it was normal stuff because even though we'd had problems, the issues with her job and school just had her overwhelmed. But as we talk, no that wasn't it. However, I know she cares about me. I just know it's at the point where there's just not much else to go. She is so out, and I really don't know the first thing about this life. I just want something normal as much as she does.

Unfortunately, my gf works for a federal agency, so if she stays with it six more years, then she gets an annuity so she's not going to walk away from that. I went to another federal agency, but there really isn't anything for her there. She also wants to move closer to her family--to be where people love her. I don't know if some of the things are to prove a point or what. That hurt, it really did. There really isn't much in the way of an LGBT community anywhere near here.

I am so glad to be able to vent about this here. Thank you everybody.

13. YeahpIdk

Hey afgirl.

I remember your last post a few months back that mirrors this issue, except it seems it's gotten worse, which I'm sorry to see. I'm going to be a little forward. I feel compelled with your posts because I may understand your mother/daughter dynamic, as it's very similar to my own - especially the willful child part. Here are the sides I'm seeing:

Mother/Daughter:

I grew up with a single parent. Though it is a wonderful, often unbreakable bond, it can also become unhealthily co-dependent. This is what I'm getting from your posts. Your daughter does indeed sound extremely manipulative, but it sounds very fear-based. Fear because you're her only parent, and maybe she feels like she's losing you. She may feel like she's losing you in two parts: 1) because you've got a girlfriend and 2) because you're gay and doesn't want you to be shunned or hurt/feels like she's not apart of your life. And because she is strong willed, a lot of this fear could manifest as anger and violence because she's a teenager and running on emotions most of the time.

My mother has had a few relationships that I was extremely not keen on. It was either because I didn't like how they treated her in one way or another, or because I didn't like the way they treated me...sometimes it was because I didn't like the way my mom handled the two at once, similar to what I'm getting from your posts, she had a really hard time integrating her relationships into our own in a way that was respectful of me.

Did you ever try to have an honest, calm talk with your daughter regarding her feelings about your girlfriend and relationship? I see you're going to counseling, but have any of those feelings come up in it? I get giving someone time to think about things, but I really don't believe in babying someone's bad behavior. And if your girlfriend hasn't done anything bad to your daughter, or you, this is, indeed, bad behavior that may be spiraling out of control...simply because she's always acted in such a way, and isn't sure how to approach it from a different angle now. She also may have a good reason to be angry, though - which is why you should ask her.

I have to believe that the anger is misplaced and has not much to do with your sexual orientation, even your girlfriend. I know there's some kind of LGBTQ+ community in Mississippi, so even if it's a slow to grow, religious based community, it is not totally hidden and forbidden from that society. It seems that a lot of the hesitation is on your part, out of fear, especially because this is your first same-sex relationship. And that is totally, totally understandable, but may be something you want to look into.

With everything you say, especially about keeping your girlfriend away, I wonder if your compartmentalization of your relationship and child has caused this huge rift. There is a relationship in particular of my mother's that I had a huge problem with. I didn't like him as a person, at all. He wasn't trying to be close to me and kept his distance most of the time. He just wasn't trying to get to know me or be on my level, and I became really defensive and weary because of it. My mother and I are glued at the hip a lot of the time, so someone who is trying to be in her life should essentially be equal parts wanting to be my friend/respect our relationship. And my mother was allowing it, or acting like everything was fine, which made me feel enraged and like we were becoming distant. I had this very child-like (though I was not a child) reaction toward it. Something about the detachment made me so upset. A lot of it was really ridiculous, though. All of that is to say, I think if my mother's boyfriend would have put some effort into trying to be my friend and be in my life, and my mom didn't try to push him on me (he also tried to push himself on me, like telling me they were going to be together whether I liked it or not (lol)) all at once, things would have been different.

It kind of sounds like you never gave that a chance. I think it's fine, even good, to separate your relationship from your child/family in the beginning, but after a long period of time when you're beginning to get serious? There's a trust, especially between a single parent and their child, that can be violated from improper integration. I think you can still achieve this, if you talk to your kid and get to the root of her issues. Because honestly, she's living in this century, south or not, I really don't think it's the gayness. I think she's afraid of losing you, and frustrated about not completely understanding this aspect of your life because you're afraid to include her. Let her, even make her at times, be a part of it: the both of you take her out on the weekend to do something fun or go out to eat at her favorite place or travel. If your girlfriend doesn't do anything that can be construed as hurtful to your daughter, I really think it's that. But I could be TOTALLY wrong. I'm just trying to look at it through that lens since it's a familiar one to me.

And I get that a lot of your fear is probably because she makes you feel like you can't be gay because her "friends" won't come over/she won't be accepted, and I think I said this before, but help her to understand it and teach her that she wouldn't WANT those kind of friends. Unless you're going to miraculously become straight tomorrow, you're probably going to be gay forever and either stay with this girlfriend, or date another woman -- so should you accept her intolerance?? It's going to be a cold world for her if she stays that way, BELIEVE ME. If she ever wants to leave your tiny corner of the country with that attitude, she's the one that may end up being shunned. It's not about forcing her to be accepting of other people, it's about you being intolerant of ignorance and narrow-mindedness. For the sake of humanity and your daughter, I'd urge you not to let her grow up thinking that it's okay and acceptable for anyone who is not a heterosexual to be ashamed of themselves, because it certainly won't stop there. And again, you're not straight, so that behavior should be especially unacceptable.

Also, your daughter doesn't have to tell her friends that you're gay.

Girlfriend:

With the not coming around your house thing, or being integrated into your family life, after a year...I truly think I would have been out by now. Even from your last post. And not because I'm impatient. I think I'd also stick it out if I was in love with someone, especially if it was their first gay relationship and they were scared/having issues at home. But when does waiting for someone else to feel comfortable become a burden on the person waiting? How long should someone compromise their own happiness? It would be one thing if the person was working to make things better, but if no one's doing anything and everyone's just unhappy all the time, it seems like a lost cause.

I remember you said you both have conflicting schedules that cause you to really only get together on the weekend, if she came to your place, would that be a non-issue? Also, are you not seeing her all week and then being gone the whole weekend by her, leaving your daughter home alone? If that's how things are, I'd see the issue really clearly.

So as a gay that is also a strong-headed person to a single parent: First, I will not deny you've got an interesting hand of cards. I am sometimes shocked that after my teen years my mother is even an ounce still sane. Anyway, I think you should go for therapy. Someone who is LGBTQ+ friendly and can help you with this and anything else you have to deal with. Be a little harder on your kid while also being softer on her. Treat her like a person and have a really frank discussion about things. Start bringing your girlfriend around her. If you want your girlfriend to be in your life. But I'd talk to your girlfriend and a counselor to make sure I do it in the most non-threatening way possible, because yes, I think this situation not being dealt with properly has turned into a monster. And hey, you're a human, it happens. But something I wished growing up, is that my mother would have put me in my place a little sometimes. She was totally non-conflict while I was always up and ready for a good, heated argument, ESPECIALLY as a teen when I was just fucking nuts. Put your foot down. It's not too late. She loves you, and you love her. She should always, always come first - but she also needs to know that you're a human who has feelings.

Also, always keep in mind that she's a teenager right now and has a million things going on. If your girlfriend is a good person and you haven't already, bring her into you and your daughter's life. Get yourself a counselor, get your daughter a separate counselor from you, and go from there with love and compassion for the situation. And urge your daughter to find love and compassion within herself.

At the same token, I agree with what Barista said. Maybe you're just not ready and you'll find someone who fits into your life better when the time comes.

14. afgirl

YeahpIdk, yes I do have a lot going on. Yes, the mother/daughter thing has been strained for awhile. It's like the girl turned 13 and I don't know who she became. Before that, she was my "mini-me". She thought I was the greatest person in the world, and then, the teenage years. Yes, the dynamics are something I've never really given as much thought to as I should have. She has not wanted me to date anyone....ever.

And my gf. Well, I don't know what is going to happen. I know she is miserable here and probably has not been putting in for jobs because of me, but now she may well be. Not sure I can blame her, but it does hurt me when she says she wants to move somewhere closer to home because she has people who love her and care about her. I love her and care about her. It's just so difficult.

And then of course, there is me. Am I gay? Am I not? I haven't really had any idea about who I am. I still don't know. I just know she is this person that I love very much...or at least the person she was with me up until October. After that, she is colder and distant. I don't feel important most of the time, but then there are little signs that I get, little glimmers that it may all be okay sometime. I just know that it can't be so far out. Things have to change and they have to change sometime soon...at least progress.

There is a lot going on.

But...today I called and made an appointment with our Counselor for Wednesday afternoon. The appointment is just for me, but I am going to bring my gf 1. so she can understand where/what I've been doing in regards to counseling; I don't think she's impressed with what I've told her thus far, and 2. to help my counselor see this person in the flesh; this is the horrible person my daughter is having such a fit about. Who knows? I think we are both hoping it helps in some way. I think it does show we are both making an effort. For me, the effort is bringing her to counseling, as she told me she wanted to do and for her it's taking off from work and driving almost an hour to meet me for this appointment. If she didn't care, I know she wouldn't be doing that.

But we're all hurt, so I guess for now we just don't get any crazy idea that things are going to change overnight, and hope to move forward.

15. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your daughter's anger is likely from several things. But what I think would be most difficult is that she's not only coming to terms with her mom being gay but in that region she stands to be severely negatively impacted by this just as much, perhaps more, than you. And much of it is out of her control. From her point of view you could, at any time, come out or be found out and she'll be ostracized while you get to happily continue on with your romances. Teen girls are very tough on each other as I'm sure you're aware.
    Fair or not your stubborn daughter is your priority. That doesn't mean she always gets her way or your life gets put on hold to take care of her feelings. But her situation needs consideration.
    I don't see why you can't move. There are other high schools. Also the counselor should be helping you both to discuss solutions.

Your GF needs to realize that your child is your priority and the situation doesn't allow for you to bring her into your home yet. It doesn't need counseling. She's putting you in a shitty dilemma by insisting you integrate her into your home. What does she think would happen? At best it would create unacceptable tension in your family. Most likely you'd be having a huge ongoing fight with your daughter and she would be constantly disrespected as well. She either hasn't thought this out before deciding to make it an issue or needed an excuse to end the relationship. It's crappy but people do it.

16. afgirl

Well, it happened. I guess I should have known it was just a matter of time. I called her back tonight and she was all upset. We'd had a nice conversation earlier when I got off work, but now she was upset, confused about us, hating her job (which I ultimately think is more what this is about than me) and not sure what she wants. As I press for details, I realize this is going straight back to us. She doesn't want to go with me tomorrow. I feel like I called her bluff with that one. She doesn't know if things will change, which is what we've discussed and discussed and now I hear this again. You ever sob so much you can't even talk? Yes, that was/is me. I feel like she wants to break up with me, but can't quite do it, so I did it. I said I can't do this anymore. I feel pitiful and pathetic, and if this is supposed to work out it will, but for now, I just can't do this anymore....all the while sobbing so I could barely be understood.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense. I'm a true mess right now. I have gone from feeling like I've screwed up, to feeling like I really didn't have a chance. Anyway, I remember this is why I don't let myself get too close to people. This hurts like hell and I dread waking up and remembering what just happened.

17. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone