1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First day here. First attempt at coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Finallykelly, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Finallykelly

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hopefully i do not sound like a wimp, but I am scared to death even coming out anonymously, ha ha.. i suck

Anyway, here i am... Hi im Rob. I am a transgender person finally ready to break from this aweful cage and be the woman I was meant to be.

Thank you all for listening and being here. This probably doesnt count as "coming out" but its the best I came up with to ease into it. Suggestions welcome. Any advice on how to make friends here and build rapport with people is also greatly appreciated.

On the superficial side I need encouragement with things like finding salons, nail places and shopping that are accepting of people like me. Or encouragement to say screw it and just book any place to rip the bandaid off ha ha..

I am also wondering if anyone knows of in person support groups in the eastern PA or NJ areas.

I dont know. I am just trying to start conversation i guess. I dont even know what to say or ask here. I hope I dont sound too stupid or shallow

Thank you sooo much

Kelly

2. Linkmaste

Welcome to EC Kelly!

We are excited to have you here and thank you for sharing your gender identity and sexual orientation to us. Coming out is a huge thing and taking that first step is often the scariest. You have plenty of courage to come out and for that you should give yourself a pat on the back.

There are a couple of things,

First, please check out the Gender Identity section of the forum if you want to get tips and a good grasp on how others like you are starting their paths on transgender and gender identity. I myself am a cis gendered female (and proud) so I can't provide the exact details on some questions you might have (such as finding salons-I can't stand having my nails done aha).

Second, there is loads of ways to start your coming out process. Some people are totally fine gathering everyone around the bon fire and announcing it-others like me take person be person case and individually tell them and have more of a private discussion. Whatever the case-it's important for you to feel safe, secure, comfortable and READY. No one should ever pressure you to come out-that is your decision.

Don't be afraid to sound 'stupid' or 'shallow'. There is no such thing here at EC. We are all different persons here on the site and have diversity to bring to the table. Some of us range from college students to even serving in military and hospitals. Don't forget to check out the 'Welcome Lounge' if you want to say hello as well.

Hope this helps!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

4. renard

renard Guest

Hi Kelly!

Linkmaste994 made a few really good points, and I'd just reiterate that we're all here to offer each other support! I logged on because I sort of needed validation in my own identity, but I've also made some meaningful connection by offering others advice and listening to others' problems as they listened to mine.

So yeah, only you can decide when you're ready to "rip the band-aid off" in salons or other places in your everyday life. But know that here at EC, we encourage you to be yourself and express whatever you need to until, when, and after you've reached that point. Much love, and don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance here if you need it. (*hug*)

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Kelly! I'm Brooke(duh).

One thing I'd like to point out hun, you got your gender ID wrong in your profile. Male(trans) implies a transgender male(or FtM). You and I are transgender women, therefore Female(trans) is the proper term. Or just Female. It's your GENDER not your birth sex you're putting in that box.

Also you only live about an hour and a half from me! Small little world we live in. Enjoy the site, the Gender Identity section has a lot of great stuff. There's some good conversations going on right now. :slight_smile:

6. TheSeeker

Welcome aboard!! You are brave to come out, but please know that you are safe here and we are here for you!!

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Kelly! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

Coming Out to anyone "counts", even Coming Out to your friends here on this website. Congratulations!:thumbsup: It takes a lot of courage to Come Out.

In terms of in-person support groups in NJ or PA, it depends on what type of specific support group(s) you are looking for, but the best way to find one may be to do an Internet Search of groups in your area. Alternatively, you can post a thread in the Ask the Staff forum (it's Private), tell them your city and ask them to help you find the support resources that you are seeking in your area.