1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do as a hobby?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had a dime for every time I've asked myself (and the internet) this...

So from the title, you can probably tell that I want a hobby. Now, I have hobbies already, but the trouble is that all my hobbies and interests are indoor type things, and I want to take up something that will give me a reason to leave the house, besides aimless wondering around for the sake of exercise. I also want something that will bring me closer to other people, sure I'm an IT student, but waking up to my computer and going to sleep just after being on it...well, it gets dull. I need a life, and I need something so I can say I do things so it'll look good for University applications. My life is a mess. *facedesk*

:bang:

Any suggestions? I know I'm being quite vague here, feel free to ask any suggestions. Please. :icon_sad: :help:

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2016 at 08:10 PM ----------

*say, not ask.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are you into? Maybe you can try out sports, walking, meeting people at clubs, etc. Even indoor activities can get you meeting people and out of the house if you find the proper clubs for them.

3. iiimee

For club ideas, I bet you that there might be a D&D club around you, or a chess club, or some sort of group exercise thing... It's not active, but one thing to keep you busy when you're indoors is origami and other paper crafts! Currently I am making paper flowers, and it's really fun. ^_^

4. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Join St John Ambulance cadets and learn first aid? Or volunteer with local scout groups? I've done loads of that sort of stuff. You can pick up loads of cool skills as well as have a life and make friends :slight_smile:

5. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Learn to ride a motorbike... I have met many wonderful people through motorbikes and travelled to many places I would never have been to otherwise.

Exactly the same for martial arts.

The main thing is find something you like the idea of and go try it whatever that may be.

Not wanting to stereotype but if you are an I'T student I assume you like games too so what about a LARP group?

6. Barb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I relate to your story a lot! I used to be indoors most of the time, playing games by myself and watching anime. I eventually found out about cosplay and conventions and decided to give that a try. Cosplaying had become such a big part of my life and I met amazing friends and even my girlfriend thanks to cosplay. It's a great way of meeting new people!
    Cosplay is something quite time consuming though, but if you're willing to give it a try, it can be really cool!

If you're not that much into dressing up (which I can imagine), doing sports is a way to meet new people and get out there.

Or indeed, look for a club or place where people with mutual interests gather, maybe they have hobbies that speak to you and you might as well join them!

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

What kind of games do you play? Ex an assassins creed fan might try parkour. A shooter player could go to paintball.

8. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my favourite hobbies is learning languages. I find that it combines my desire for quiet solitary time at home with being able to converse and interact with other people. Would that be something you might be interested in?

9. Victini

If you like animals, you could volunteer at an animal shelter. Or a homeless shelter.

10. Gay Deputy

Could try looking into a radio control club...they meet and fly drones, helicopters, and planes. Get good enough with drones and you could open a side business filming events...I have a buddy who does it and makes pretty good money doing it! All from something he started as a hobby! Could join a biking or running club...my friends run in a club that does a weekly beer run (run a mile, drink beer, run a mile, drink beer, etc). It's great socializing, will even out that tan from sitting in front of the computer, and keep a nice figure! (If you stay away from the beer runs anyway). Heck, there's tons of things you could get into. Go onto Groupon, buy you a decent camera, and go hiking/searching for that perfect picture. It's all in what you find fun!

11. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You like sports?

Maybe you could go and play football, or volleyball.
    One of my hobbies is photography. You only need a camera, go outside for an hour or two and make intersting pics. They don't have to be good, but it's fun ^^

What always helped me to forget my sorrows is riding a horse (but it costs a lot, and if you're overweight like me it could get harder to find a place to ride). Or actually everything with animals.

When it's warm outside I'm going out, read a book or write a story.

You just have to find something you like, then you have fun going outside, doing sports, etc.

12. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That seems extremely specific... But the real reason your reply caught my eye was that I'm also an SJA cadet :slight_smile: I agree that it's a pretty good place to make friends as well as good for applications (it looks impressive on a CV), though it would only be ideal if you're interested in medicine. Otherwise Police Cadets/Air Force Cadets etc. might be worth looking into.

I also fence and do martial arts, they're quite interesting and active (as you can imagine) and I make loads of friends there.

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering I can't drive yet, I think learning to ride a motorbike might be off the table for a bit. Perhaps after I've had driving lessons, and my parent's want my sister's lessons out the way before I start having them, so it'll probably be awhile before then.

Martial arts...maybe...

Haha, well I have role-played before, but only online ones. Perhaps in the future I might look into it, and I'll finally be the ultimate nerd. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (No offense).

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2016 at 10:37 AM ----------

*parents, not parent's.

14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What things in normal life bring you joy?

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend checking local clubs or libraries for ideas of things to get involved in.

I was in a similar predicament back a year ago, when I became so stir crazy that I finally had to find something to get out and do. At the time I was watching a swimming anime, and this inspired me to learn swim. So I got a lousy job which barely paid for me to get enrolled in a swim programme and here I am, with a hobby now that lasts 1.5 hours per day and is also fantastic exercise.

I once heard the following. Have three hobbies: one creative, one to keep you fit or healthy, and one to make some money on the side. That said, write a list of hobbies that fall into these categories. You can pick anything you are already drawn to, like, or have started to learn, branch off from there.

Some ideas...
    Creative
    Digital art
    Baking
    Musical instrument
    Prose
    Designing covers for books, music albums, etc.
    Word art
    Poetry
    Short films or music videos
    Photography
    Scrapbooking
    Making models of airplanes, cars, ships, etc.
    Interior décor
    Manga art
    Making custom board games

Health/Fitness
    Cross country running
    Outdoor walks
    Crossfit
    Kickboxing
    Swimming
    Dance
    Yoga
    Nutritional studies

Lucrative
    If you work with computers, small repair jobs or custom work
    Mowing lawns
    Walking dogs
    Cleaning or repairing things for neighbours
    Babysitting
    Homework help/tutoring
    Teaching your skills in IT
    Graphics design
    Webpage development
    Ghostwriting or other freelance writing jobs

Basically, if you're good at something, don't do it for free.

Personally, my hobbies which fall into those categories would be swimming for fitness, music and baking for creativity, and teaching for money. Though I also design custom Monopoly games as a creative outlet, in my spare time.