1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IQ test drama

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Dec 6, 2016.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Last year, our Maths teacher made us take an IQ test 'for fun'. After the results came in, it turned out that one of my classmates had the highest IQ based on that very test. I didn't do so bad myself with an IQ of 133 (which of course is not a real score). However, the 'genius' boy started feeling super confident about himself and kinda condescended to the rest of the class. The boy himself is great at Mathemarics (and basically all other related subject) The teacher seemed to be satisfied with the results since I guess that kinda 'assured' her in her own beliefs. She thinks that everyone can be assessed and limited to a certain score. This angered me quite a lot, since everyone has areas in which they excel and fail. I just hate people who think they're superior just because they're good at something other people are not. And honestly, those IQ tests ain't sht. Intelligence shouldn't be limited to how well you perform in school. Some people are music geniuses, others are great dancers, writers, artists. You cannot estimate someone's intelligence by making them take a test! Are those people trying to feel better for themselves or do they just fail to realize that intelligence can be expressed in various forms? What do you think about that?

2. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually IQ tests are specialized in that they only record a person's capability to think, reason, etc.. meaning that yes, it doesn't take into account things such as musical/artistic talent, or physical aspects. If anything an IQ test should be used only as a general look on your critical thinking capabilities. There is some wiggle room though, given that if you took the test tired you'd likely do worse than if you were fully rested, etc etc

In the end an IQ test in an end-all for your intelligence, but in my opinion, offers a good look on how you think and what processes your mind goes through.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way about IQ, it's pretty silly and its significance is very overstated.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IQ is just a number and it changes over time. I've been tested 5 different times, the lowest was 126 and the highest was 138. so it shifts over time and circumstances.

im told that is gifted to high gifted, but I just say above average, and I know there are a lot of people out there smarter than me.

its just a number.

5. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never liked tests that demean someone. And the guy who got the highest score and got all cocky can go flip off a table. Just because you score high on some lousy test doesn't mean you're the big cheese.

I vaguely remember having to take one in order to get into the gifted program in grade school. And honestly I was uncomfortable with how many people would go to me for help on things just because I was in the gifted program so I was "obviously the most intelligent person around". I don't mind helping people, but I don't like being put on a pedestal. Plus, I felt sub-par in comparison to other students that were in that program with me, and I felt bad about myself when we took an IQ test in psychology because I got a lower score than some of my classmates who were in the gifted program with me back in elementary/middle school.

Moral of the story is, I hate tests that demean, and I hate that there are people who do well that get cocky, and I also hate that those who end up demeaned by the IQ test might have this feeling of not living up to expectations or worthlessness, when that's simply not true.

I don't know why I went on that little story mode.

Anyway, for measure of intelligence, I prefer this, if anything: Multiple Intelligences -- Assessment
    It test for 9 kinds of intelligence so it's much more diverse, and it's more about finding your strengths than pitting a specific part of your mind against others.

#5 AgenderMoose, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. Nikky DoUrden

Fact - Richard Feynman, one of the greatest scientists of all times, which Feynman Diagrams are named after, has an IQ of 125.

IQ means sh*t.

Next question :grin:

7. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I took an IQ test for my psychologist for the first time this year. I think that test is only good for making your doctor(s) understand you better, it seems pointless to do it at school and tell everyone about it. If the teachers had made the students take the test to better understand them and didn't tell them what scores the other students had taken, ok, but the way they did it at your school seems pointless to me.

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^This. Especially in a math class. We took one in our psych class specifically because we were in the unit talking about "intelligence" and how exactly one would measure that (we all agreed that the IQ test was pretty flawed). But it does not belong in a math class. I see zero explanation for that.

#8 AgenderMoose, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. renard

renard Guest

I'd definitely agree with the inaccuracy of IQ tests that others have talked about here.

Also, I'm an English teacher, and I'll say that I have students all the time who do well on assignments where they just have to write about something that happened in their lives, but have way more trouble when they have to do research and organize their thoughts to make a good argument. Often, this is because they think they can do the harder assignment last-minute, but they can't. It's just too much work. The result is that the students who didn't start as such great writers but worked harder often end up with better grades.

The point: the person who is passionate and works harder will often do better than the "natural genius" who thinks they can coast along on their abilities. Find what you love — what really interests you and just makes you want to talk about it all the time — and study that! And work hard at that! If you're willing to put in the work for something you really care about, it'll pay off.

10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That. I had to get that done right after I graduated high school. I don't remember why I had to have the test, but my score was around 160, and let me tell you, that number doesn't amount to a damn thing in real life. It's a number. There are stereotypically "brainy" things that I suck at; someone with a so-called "lower" IQ could probably run circles around me in math. Who cares what an IQ test says? Can you use that brain for anything useful? That's what matters. People who use that number as nothing more than a means to brag are idiots.

IQ is a number. Nothing more. The original poster ought to tell his asshole classmate that, for all the good it'll do.