1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Fears/Phobias

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SabreBear, Dec 1, 2016.

1. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I recently had a conversation with someone about phobias, and it was brought up that I have (apparently) a weird phobia, ommetaphobia (the fear of eyes). Eye contact doesn't bother me, but seeing eyes through windows, someone watching me without me watching them, touching eyes, staring at them too long, and the worst seeing eyes through keyholes or sliding door panels. (Honestly if you want to freak me out showing me a picture of something along those lines is the sure way of doing it. But please don't.)

It comes from a reoccurring hallucination I had when I was younger, in which I would see eyes everywhere, regardless if I had my eyes opened or shut.

But long story short I can acknowledge that it's an unconventional phobia. So, do you guys have any strange phobias/fears?

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was more when I was a kid, but even now it's still creepy: the old Emergency Broadcast System alert tone. I remember being five, six, seven years old and running screaming out of the room whenever I heard it.

Anyone over the age of 25 who lives in the USA knows which tone I'm talking about. YOU KNOW.

#2 ThatBorussenGuy, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  3. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Elevators freak me out, not enough to not get on one, but I hate going on them alone and I hate being on them with 4+ people.

4. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a kid I was afraid of balloons cause I hate that they float away and never come back :C.

Another one is that I am afraid of dead things . Like I usually hide in my room and sobe it all out cause I do not want to see the corpse .

5. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mannequins. They freak me out, whether or not they are full-bodied.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm downright terrified of Yorkshire terriers, their looks and sounds alike. If I see one, I'll jump on the highest thing in the vicinity even if it means I knock over a few things. Busted a window once trying to get away from it...

Unfortunately my sister also got one just to spite me, so I only really leave my room at night. During the day hours I'll just hang around on these forums or draw or build projects to keep me busy while I wait for the night. At around 1:30 AM or so the dog will be put up and I'm free to roam the house. It isn't much, but it's a nice feeling, sure it's a small place but being out of my room, or "home" for once just feels free.

When I finally get my own place I won't have to worry about this fear anymore and it'll be so nice, roam wherever I want, peace and quiet, I could even stay up during daylight hours if I wanted to. I'm just a very fear-oriented person and with this one in particular being severe, it easily controls me.

Parents say it's because one bit into my leg pretty deep as a young child, but I don't remember that at all. I suppose I was really young when it happened. That's probably about it for my craziness.

7. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid of crossing streets/roads. It'll take me a considerable amount of time to cross them. Even if they're empty, I'm still going to look both ways just in case.

8. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm very scared of slugs. I go to great lengths to avoid them. They're just so creepy.

9. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dark streets. I hate it if there is no light... once I refused to go directly to my home, because there was no street light, so I walked back and took another street.

And everytime I'm alone I fear of someone coming in and abducting me. Sometimes I get so scared that I lock my room and jump up with every noise I hear.

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if I have weird fears or phobias. I have some form of fear of heights (if I can easily fall, theoretically speaking). However, I am afraid of bees and wasps. I try to control myself when I see one, but I may suddenly run away if they get too close. I really don't know why I have that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. jem17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a fear of butterflies and moths. mainly butterflies and open spaces in the dark.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Flying over water terrifies me

13. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Loud noises, I don't know why but I just can't stand them. Fireworks and bonfire night are probably the worst because they're sudden, although I'm not too bothered about gunshots as I have trained on a couple of rifles. They still make my heart rise into my throat, but not as much.
    (Yes firework bangs and gunshot noises sound different)

14. Spacesword

a fear of bees/wasps in general and I don't like the dark (I actaully have a reason to be though I don't want to get into that)

15. moonmodule

Really weird that I'm seeing this considering I have some weirdly weird phobias AND I had a sucky incident the other day where I panicked because of a phobic reaction. So this thread is like, calling out to me.

Anyway, I have multiple weird phobias, and they're so weird and vague that even I don't understand them, and also if I think about them too hard, well, I'll panic. But I have a fear of needles, getting my blood drawn, which are simple, but then, it's like... I have... a fear of blood flow? thinking about hearts beating / the sound of a heartbeat? thinking about nerves in the body? numbness? blood pooling up in one spot in the body? it gets really weird. :confused: and these aren't little phobias either, but I honestly can't predict what will trigger them sometimes. :eusa_eh:

16. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the sound of toast being buttered.....I'm the only person I know who doesn't love that sound :/

17. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm scared of heights. However, I can go up tall buildings, or on a plane, no problem. What scares me is going up hills or mountains. Most people I find are the other way around.

18. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Paraskavedekatriaphobia

I don't have it but I love that word.

19. Barb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm scared to death in the dark and I'm also really damn afraid of spiders.

I also can't stand feet and I get really uncomfortable when people touch my food or when people lick their fingers (when eating chips for example, please don't :') ). This is why I also don't share food and why I dislike to hold hands for too long. Germs are the worst and humans can be disgusting oops.
    I do my best to get over the last thing though.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That and certain logos scared the shit out of me as a kid. Look up "Scariest logos" on youtube and I'm sure you'll find a ton of videos on that. It's so weird, and I've honestly been embarrassed to admit it, but at least there's a community of people with this peculiar shared fear. OddityArchive did a great video on this very thing, as well as the EBS.

Oh, and when I was a kid, I had this weird phobia of certain numbers.