1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How white are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mental, Nov 28, 2016.

?

What percentage of you is white?

1. 0%

9 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. 1-10%

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. 11-20%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 21-30%

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. 31-40%

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. 41-50%

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. 51-60%

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 61-70%

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. 71-80%

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  10. 81-90%

8 vote(s)
    7.2%
  11. 91-99%

29 vote(s)
    26.1%
  12. 100%

37 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. Not sure (if you have an estimate or a least amount, please leave in comment below)

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, for one you gotta think that most countries weren't very diverse until somewhat recently. Instead of white, I guess it would've been better to ask how European you are. My apologies.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except that's untrue ? Black people (as an example) have been present in Europe for centuries, much before America was even discovered.
    (Here is a link to a short sum up of black history AFRO-EUROPE: A History of Black people in Europe)

Some very famous people from the 18th or 19th century were black or were half black which is the case of Alexandre Dumas for example (the famous author of the " Three musketeers" as well as his father who was a very famous French General) and some lived in much earlier time than this.

It seems like people somehow think that black people arrived in Europe when slavery started but racism and turning black people into slave is a rather recent concept (if you look at the entire history of the human race.)

I don't have that much knowledge on other race but I know muslim have been in Europe for a very long time as well and I am sure Asian must have been present in Europe for far longer than we think as well.

That is why for me it is a very odd concept to associate skin color with nationality because these have absolutely nothing to do. And I am afraid that unless we have access to photographs and/or portrait of each of our ancestors it is very hard to affirm that we come from a 100% "white" family.

3. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry. I think I got that ideology from being partially native American. Cause you look at people from America (old america) and there's really only one race that could be from there, Native American.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem, I was simply asking the question out of curiosity as I am really interested in knowing and understanding why most people on this thread seem to have assumed that European ancestors = white but I think it's mostly for similar reasons as yours as history lessons seem to focus a lot on Caucasian people, only mentioning black people when talking about slavery and/or the apartheid. :slight_smile:

5. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ethnically full white, but my dad's side of the family is Latino, but ethnically European. My mother is from the UK.

6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a really weird question and I'm not sure I approve.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I've ever cared enough to think about it?

#47 HM03, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. Gay Deputy

I am 99% what most would consider Caucasian...WASPish. I'm 41% Irish and the remaining is Western Europe, German, and Scandinavian. Only 1% was listed as Native American. I did a DNA test through one of the ancestry sites. Highly informative!

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2016 at 06:46 AM ----------

Of course...that should have said I'm from areas considered Caucasian/white areas. Now, if there's any mixing in there...I am not sure...nor would I care...except I wish it'd done something for my pasty butt! :-D

9. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

I took 100%, but I don't know much about my heritage more than a century back. I could be wrong.

10. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Presumably 100%, but I've never looked into it. My surname is pretty rare and I don't know much about my ancestry, only that I'm English and Irish and probably Celtic...

11. I'm_Danni_x

I'm 0% white as i'm ethnically Pakistani.

12. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    im white enough to be terrible at dancing XD

no idea, but i might actually have an answer soon, as my mother is trying to get a dna test done to see our family past

13. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure what my biological origins are, I am probably of mostly mixed European decent (English and West European) which means I'm white as fuck. I'm not 100% white though, I know that for sure.

**Disclaimer: I mean WHITE people from these regions. My family has also been in America for a very long time and we're southern so I have reason to believe that many of my family members are white.

#53 galaxygia, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  14. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Externally? 0%
    Internally? 100%
    I've been told that I'm like a coconut

15. Embi

Embi Guest

As far as I know I'm 100% white. But I don't know anything about my family that came before my mother's parents and my father's grandparents. However, I highly doubt that anyone would have had a child with a non-white person in the society they lived in, so I'm quite certain.

16. Distant Echo

Well, this is difficult. I'm generally pink, tending to brown in summer

Take this as...what even is this question? I'm human, as is everybody else on here. The rest is irrelevant.

17. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a mix of swedish, english, and german. I'm pretty white.

18. Two Shakes

This question is so interesting and has many different aspects, and obviously everyone is answering different parts of the question haha.

I guess it depends on your definition of "white." You can't really ask how "white" someone is genetically because different groups (even when all are considered "Caucasian") are considered white by different people.. For example, genetically I am virtually entirely Southern Italian, and in America I am considered entirely white (unless one counts gene mixing with the Middle East/North Africa, which is much more negligible with Italians than people think), but there are people in Europe (and people in the north of Italy) who don't consider Italians/Southern Italians to be really "white." There are even some radical people who think Europe "ends at Naples" and that everything south of that is just Africa/the Middle East. Because I was raised and grew up in America, I consider myself white, but if I was raised in Italy I might not think that way, and I might say I'm "not quite white."

And then there's the social definition of white, or as I like to say the difference between white and White. For example, in the suburbs, an asian person is not white but they might be White... "White" being country club memberships, "Mom I need the new iPhone even though my current one still works perfectly fine," going on 1 week service trips to take pictures with brown kids, etc... Being White isn't awful in and of itself or even necessarily bad, and it doesn't reflect how that person is personality wise, but it's just another definition of "whiteness" where White is redefined as a measure of privilege. In those terms, I'm white, but I'm not White.

And to all y'all talking about skin color... In America, our definition of "whiteness" is very centered on that, yes, but it is not everywhere. I get as dark as my half-native Brazilian friend but I'm still white, and in the days of old Irish people weren't considered white (even with their pale features).

I say to all, being white is nothing to be ashamed of (no reason to feel like you need to "lie" about what percentage you are so you don't have to put 99%), just recognize that in the vast majority of countries you don't have to worry about being treated differently because of your perceived race.

(P.S. Identifying as Hispanic or Latino is not a "race" thing... There are white Latinos, black Latinos, etc... And even a lot of people from Latin American countries are "lighter" than you think because of colonialism and gene mixing that goes far, far back)

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  20. ladykiki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put 100% as I'm not aware of any other colour among my family tree. It's a running joke in my family that I don't tan because I reflect the sun instead of absorbing it :dry: