1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the only way to really know to get together with someone?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Funyarinpa, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Funyarinpa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like I've hit a brick wall when thinking about my sexuality. I'm not really a very social person so it feels like the likelihood of me ever getting together with someone is very low, at least right now. I've been talking to my therapist about this stuff though and at this point he says any change at all is important, even if it's not necessarily going to turn my life upside down.

I guess I should start from the beginning though...(I'll put each section in spoilers so it doesn't look too overwhelming)

It was only about 2 or 3 years ago that I really started seriously thinking about what my sexuality was, up until that point I think I had just gotten by on the idea that it would all suddenly make sense when I was an adult, it was in the future so I didn't have to think about it. Originally I thought I was asexual (and I guess it's still a slight possibility) but I ended up staring at pictures of guys a lot and I would get aroused if I started at them long enough.

One moment that stands out in particular was looking at pictures of Zachary Quinto and going kinda funny, like kissing my pillow. I didn't really feel like myself. I haven't really felt as strongly as that since then....and looking at more pictures of him doesn't really do it either.

Back in secondary school I'd get boners while sitting in the common area. I guess I knew the reason for the boners were the guys in my year but at the time I felt very fixated on the jackets they were wearing. If get aroused because of what somebody is wearing can I really say that I'm attracted to that person? I asked my therapist that a few weeks ago, he said it was a good question but I never got an answer.

I thought I had a clothing fetish at the time. I guess I didn't think about it too much at the time but it made me feel very dirty and weird. The clothing fetish is probably still a thing but I think the last year or so has shown me that it goes beyond that.

The thing is I had "crushes" on girls in secondary school but I can't remember they're being anything sexual or physical about it....it was always because I thought they were nice or seemed friendly. The more I've read about attraction the more it seems like my idea of attraction was pretty timid.

At this point I feel like it's pretty likely that I'm either gay or maybe asexual with gay leanings. I don't feel particularly straight.

My best friend already knows most of this, he actually told me he thought he was bisexual a good year or so before I started telling him this stuff. That was a few years ago though. There's a forum I've been a member on for about 10 years now and it has a pretty tight community, I think I want to tell them some of this stuff soon. I haven't told my parents or family yet, it's not really because I think they'll react badly I'd just rather feel more confident about it when I say it to them.

I know this will sound dramatic but I feel like a shadow sometimes. Like somebody just moving around but not really doing anything that matters.

I suppose what I'm wondering now is where do I go from here and is the only way to really know to have sex with a guy? (or at least kiss one) I'm working through a number of things with my therapist and I do feel like he's helping but at the same time it feels like time is running out.

I had another question in the spoilers but in case people miss it I'll say it again. If you feel attracted by someone because of what they're wearing, can you really say you're attracted to that person at all?

2. KYSS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that you have to have sex to find out what you like, yes it helps. But it's not necessarily a full indicator. Asexuality, like any kind of sexual orientation, is a spectrum. So there's a wide range there from the ones that have zero sex drive to the ones that are more propense to get aroused. About the clothes kink... I think everyone has one of their own, something that turns you on. It's just what makes us, well US
    Hope it helps!
    Have a nice day.

3. seeking

Agree with KYSS. You don't need to be sexual with a certain person to know what your sexuality. While it can confirm your sexual identity it isn't needed to truly know if you are what you believe you are.

Spoiler #1:
    Zachery Q is gay I believe. I also believe he is married. Anyway....could it have just been curiosity or trying to put yourself in Zachery's shoes?

Alternatively Asexuality is a spectrum as well like KYSS states. I would even think it's fluid as well. While I am not heavily educated on Asexuality the people I know who identify with it told me they still have sexual fantasies but they don't have the need to be sexual with someone to be intimate. Hopefully someone here who identifies as asexual can really direct you to webpages and books about it.

Spoiler #2:
    I know nothing about fetish...but there are people that are sexually attracted to inanimate objects. I would think you were actually aroused by the males in the clothing. (Not being sarcastic,) have you tried being sexual with women who dressed up in the clothes that get you revving?

spoiler #3:
    I can't really answer this for you. it took me quite some time and self discovery to really be very sure of my sexuality.
    (I'm female.)
    Guys I thought I had crushes on I actually didn't have crushes on.. I just valued something about them...admired something about them that I wish I could be. But, it wasn't a true crush. Just admiration.

Spoiler #4:
    I wouldn't tell anyone until you are secure in your sexual identity.

My best advice is to explore your feelings. Let life experience direct you. If you want to be sexually active be sexually active. If you was to be in an emotionally intimate relationship without sex then do that. I just think expressing your feelings and what you wish to do will direct you to who you truly are.

4. Funyarinpa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. To be honest I've seen women wearing jackets similar to ones I've seen guys wearing but it doesn't really do anything for me. Although I always assumed that was because I was a man and not a woman. Let me explain, there was another aspect to my "fetish" in that I would imagine myself turning into other guys. It's a lot weaker than it used to be though but when I was a teenager it was pretty much the only way I could "get off" reliably.

I feel like I've already made some progress with this stuff though. I don't think I would have been able to talk about this (even online) as openly about a year ago.

5. seeking

So you would imagine yourself being the guy and it would get you off? If I understood correctly I am not sure if that is really a fetish. In my dreams I was the male all the time even in my fantasies I was the male (I'm female)....Since I came to really accept my sexuality...I'm no longer the males in my fantasies being with females.

It might have been the way your mind processed your sexual desire without feeling shame.

I am not hundred percent sure what the answer would be to what you described...at the end of the day that might be something you have to continue to explore.

6. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you don't need to have sex to know you're gay. If you are a man and just men arouse you (or you have been attracted sexually in the past to men almost exclusively) you're probably gay.