1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do should I get used to this new country?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Alexrocks1253, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have lived in the U.S. for a long time, but now, I've moved to Spain in the last summer. There are lots of problems with this: new language, new currency, losing friends, overpricing of electronics, different voltage, region-locking on video games, lower framerates (50 instead of 60, 25 instead of 30), dog poop on the sidewalks, smokers everywhere, etc. I have no idea how I should get accustomed to this place. The only good thing that I've found is the extreme tolerance of the LGBT community, and I really don't know how to make the 4 years I'm staying here better.:icon_sad:

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Learn the new language, learn the new currency, make new friends, start a hobby outside of video games, avoid the dog poop and chastise people for letting their dogs go on the sidewalk, avoid the smokers, be openly disgusted at their smoking. If it is something you are interested in become more involved with the LGBT community.

Explore your new country, if you leave in 4 years and never explore you will most likely regret that in the future. Immerse yourself in the culture.

I live in the US and have never been outside the country, maybe Spain sucks but I have heard it is pretty nice.

I know what I said is all easier said than done, but those are solutions. I think you need to make some friends, which requires being social. If you find it difficult introducing yourself to new people then make yourself as approachable as possible. Obviously school is a good place to meet people but you could also try going to events you are interested in, you may find more people with similar interests.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If electronics-based complaints are your biggest problem from moving across the Atlantic, I'd say you're doing just fine. Culture shock can be serious, but as much as you may feel like a fish out of water, it's also an amazing opportunity that very few (Americans at least) get to have.

Despite the anxieties of being somewhere so distinctly foreign, I think I'd make a hobby out of simply wandering and exploring. Of course Spain appeals to me because I love history and they have a lot of it that's quite visible, but my point is that it makes no sense not to make the most of it. You only get one life, so ¡vívalo! <-- I hope that's right XD.

#3 Argentwing, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. That's right. Thanks for the advice.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Get a motor bike. Seriously. You have awesome weather there and can drive all the time you want. Plus: Girls love it ^^

6. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. I'll try.

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The 1st thing that you need to do is stop comparing your home country with the country you currently live in. I know it is tempting to point out everything that's better home and focus on that but it isn't really healthy and won't make your stay any better.

I am saying this as someone who've lived in many different countries (including the US) and currently live in the same country as you.

There are many things that I could say are better in my native country than they are in Spain but there is also MANY things that are better here in Spain than in my native country, and the same goes for the US and Spain. What you need to do is accept that those two countries are different. There really is no point in comparing and wishing things were the same because, well, they'll never be the same and the sooner you accept it, the sooner you'll embrace your new lifestyle because 4 years is a LONG time to be in a place you hate, so you might as well find ways to start liking it. :slight_smile:

If you are going to compare try and compare the opposite way. Surely, before leaving the states you didn't like EVERYTHING about America? What did you dislike about the US and living there ? What don't you miss and are happy doesn't exist in Spain ? What do you like about Spain apart from the fact that people are more accepting of the LGBT community ? Do you like the food ? The landscapes? the fact that you can easily travel to another country in just a couple of hours and for very cheap ?

What do you like to do apart from video games ? Have you thought about joining a club or starting some physical activities such as soccer or basketball ? Those are nice ways to meet new people, connect with other and feel less lonely. Or why not an LGBT club ? I am sure there is one (if not more) in Madrid. :slight_smile:

Smoking is annoying and I would not hesitate to tell people to not blow the smoke in your face or to please smoke somewhere else if it's something that really gets on your nerves.

I understand how difficult it can be to leave your entire life behind to start somewhere new, completly different to what you are used to (like I said I have done it many times) BUT try and embrace it. Spain, as well as Europe as a whole, has a lot to offer if you care to take the time to discover its treasures and learn what it has to teach you. :slight_smile:

Good luck OP and big hug to you x

8. seeking

I always grew up in city so I gotten use to the poop, urinating people, drunk, and smokers. But, I think you should focus on what is positive about this country also focus on the fact you are getting to live in a different country (learn a new language by full integrating into the language/culture.) This is very very cool to me and probably be very cool to anyone else you end up sharing your stories with.

Everyone else has made very good points.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Integration. Integration. Integration. :slight_smile:

Start actively learning the language. Not learning the language of your new country of residence is the biggest mistake that you can do because it will leave you isolated and feeling extremely foreign. This is very true for a country like Spain where most people do not speak or understand English.

I've lived in two different countries so far and both times the best decision was to learn the language. You not only meet new people who are in the same boat as you but it also gives you something to do on a regular basis so you don't start feeling lonely.

Once you're able to understand the people around you more, many things about the new country that felt foreign and weird at the beginning will suddenly become acceptable and interesting. Language isn't just about successful communication, it's also about the culture and history of the people who use that language.

I've been many times in Spain and although the dog poop is a problem, they have great food and most people are unusually friendly and helpful. And the climate is amazing compared to Sweden.

10. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. nchehe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i can't imagine having to leave my friends. i hope you could do it. well, it's only 4 years?

12. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people