1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you grow up in a religious household?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Nov 26, 2016.

1. zammie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somewhat? My parents changed religions a lot, for the most of my childhood we were Spiritualist, but before that we were Wiccan and after we were...who knows? Something vaguely influenced by everything else, I guess. My biological father was Lutheran, though I thought it was all ridiculous by the time I was 12. I myself am 100% agnostic theist, these days.

2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a religion household and was ****ed over because of it. It affected both of my brothers and I in various ways, and everyone except our parents have escaped from religion as adults.

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, Evangelical to be exact. It's left me with complicated, unpleasant feelings.

I consider myself a liberal Christian now, but it's hard to say I'm comfortable. As long as I'm still living at home, I can't really think about what I truly believe with a clear head. My emotions swing from hating myself to hating my environment. The church tells me I'm either with them or against them. There's no nuance or uncertainty, just an insistence that I have to fit in or else. And I can't ever fit in.

So, for now, I don't actually know what I am. I want to stay within Christianity, but I really need to put some distance between myself and my parents' church before I can understand what that means. I need to come to terms with all the bad, and good, I've seen. I need to think without being distracted by all the extremism.

4. Geekyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes and my parents will kill me if they find out I'm a trans gay man :frowning2: I wanna do surgery and cut my hair to a guy way but I can't I'm only 17 D: :tears:

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2016 at 09:01 PM ----------

I feel you my parents won't really let me think, they force me to say gays are terrible but inside I'm crying and hurting

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was little me and my mom went to a Catholic Church however once my mom realized what BS it was we decided to leave. I now claim atheism and she is more agnostic. My dad I can never recall being religious in fact neither are my grandparents.

6. Linkmaste

More lax Christian uphold but being in a Catholic school you see messed up shit. Like gay people burn in hell, it's a sin, you're sick, you're ostracized from club activities and general bigotry you just hear all in the name of someone who supposed to love you?

Yeah you can say I hated it. Im agnostic and I have no strive to be religious. It's just too bad for me. My dad was anglician my mom's Christian but they stopped taking me to church when I told them it made me feel bad (I think I was eight or nine).

But my aunts love going to church. Can't understand it for the life of me.

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not, but my mom and sister are somewhat spiritual, I guess something like very lax Buddhists. I live in a very secular part of a pretty secular country and I had never actually known anyone in person who is part of an organized religion until I was like 20 and got a job where there was this (awesome) Muslim guy who was the only reason that job was even bearable. :lol:

I have changed with age, as I was strongly opposed to the idea of anything spiritual when I was younger, but my beliefs have become more open-minded with time. I am open to different views as long as they are not extreme, immoral, hateful or forced on me, and learning about new ones can really be kind of interesting. :slight_smile:

8. latekate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was born and raised Catholic. Went to church every Sunday as a family and hid our sins all week. I'm now part of a different type of Christian church but I'm still grateful for the foundation of my Catholic faith. I'm grateful I have never doubted there was a God. Growing up as a Cathoilic and a queer however i always thought I had to choose between loving God and being my true self. I now know God made me just the way he wants me and I can love and serve his kingdom regardless of the gender of my soulmate.

9. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents believe in God, but they don't go to church.
    They thought it was important for us to find our own believes. I'm really glad for that. I could believe in God or not, or in something else, it was okay ^^

I don't know... I don't think it classifies under "religious household"... ^^

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family is Baptist, with some similarities to the religion the Duggars on the tv show
    19 kids and counting. practice.

11. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Evangelical Baptist. My mom is from an intense Fundie (Fundamentalist) background. It's been...interesting. It's forced me to deal with both internal and external homophobia - very much the "us vs. them" mentality. I'm a Christian, and I want to remain in the church, but I'm very close to walking away from my church for some space.

12. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised Catholic, as this was my mom's religion and the religion of many of my relatives. My mom had me and my siblings attend Sunday school and go to church with her regularly. But considering that my dad was agnostic, the household was not particularly religious. We were not raised with strict religious rules or any religion-based bigotry. Despite my mom's devout religious persuasion, she has always been pro-LGBT and is not particularly conservative outside of a few issues.

13. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha not really.

14. KYSS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. My parents were very light christhians rather than catholic. But I went to a catholic school since I was 4 until I was 18. Not gonna lie I was a devoted catholic during those years. Funny I ended up being a very skeptical agnostic.

15. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We are not very religions, though when I was very young, I went to a Catholic school. The things I said were quite scandalous, but I didn't understand, because I was too young.

16. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me , I grew up in an evangelical presbytarian household . My mom was the pastors daughter so we were super religious than most . I was christian homeschooled , was banned from most fads at the time including Pokemon , Yu-Gi-Oh , Harry Potter , etc due to satanism . I normally went to church 5 times a day going to christian boyscouts ( its a thing. search royal rangers ) and youth groups .

My mother was also very vocal on her views . When I was 7-8 , I told my mom about gay marriage and if it was alright ( not in that way but " can a man marry another man " and she was vocal that " they were going to hell " . I disagreed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

After she passed , alot of things changed . i wasn't as religious , was going through major depression , and was trying to discover who I actually was . hell , sometimes I am jealous because I felt like I missed so much of my life.

Now I am a liberal christian unitarian universalist , but I wish my mom side were alittle more supportive of me in terms of sexuality . Hate hiding who I actually am .

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents are Roman Catholic. I've never really been comfortable going to church.

My dad subscribes pretty firmly to the thought that religion bestows morals. I've always refuted that thought because I believe my morals come from within me, not from a universal font of goodness. I don't do good things for the promise of heaven, I do them because I'm not an asshole.

For a while, I explored other religions, but I'm too analytical to accept the concept of any defined god. I played around with wicca for a bit. Sometimes I still get in touch with "spirituality", but that's not about religion or an afterlife or any of that. For me that's mostly taking humbling moments to reflect on how small and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things, and to marvel at the vastness and interconnectedness of the universe.

I guess agnostic sums up my own views. I don't believe in an interventionist god. If there's a grand creator, I doubt they're paying attention. Then again, I severely doubt there is any one creator. I have faith in the universe and faith in the void, not in any god-form.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's weird to say, since there is a bit of Christian imagery around my house but my family never forced it onto me like some religious families have. Granted, my mom was weird about me being an atheist when I was twelve and told me to consider being a Protestant or something despite her not even really buying into the Church at all--being raised Catholic and all.

19. moonmodule

Yes and no, I suppose. I grew up mostly with my mother, who is Christian (non-denominational), but doesn't really... talk about it much? Nowadays. My little 13 year-old brother didn't even know she was religious until recently. But she is very religious, and I've known it from a young age, I think. I remember being very young and finding small ways to rebel, being something of a mini faux-atheist, almost.

She doesn't make us ever go to church (except perhaps she did me somewhat when I was very young, but not strictly) and we don't have any crosses in our house or anything. I'm not even sure if there's a bible (although I'd guess there is), but religion seems to be a very important and personal thing to her, which is the same for me... I'm agnostic and nonreligious, mostly, but what complicated beliefs I do hold on God and religion aren't really anyone's business but my own.

20. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Catholic family that goes to church regularly and my father reads theology books for fun. I also had religious catholic education in school since that's a thing here in Germany.
    Luckily my parents were never the "bad" kind of Catholics if you get what I mean.

My personal relation with religion is pretty complicated.