1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you grow up in a religious household?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Nov 26, 2016.

1. AlamoCity

+1

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2016 at 06:17 PM ----------

In my case my grandpa was an "elder" with considerable power in his prime and we were a "good family." Emphasis on "were."

2. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, my parents are baptists. I'm agnostic.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was and I wasn't.
    For 13 years I grew up around my dad's family and they were the people that went to church every Sunday and prayed at every meal. Any beating or abuse we suffered was god's will, at least that is what they liked to say. Anime was bad because it was the devil's work and so was modern work. They HAD to vote for Bush because everyone knee the other guy was the anti-Christ.

But at 13 I moved in with my mom. They believe in god but don't care for going to church because at most southern churches you are going just to talk shit behind people's back.
    Only my grandma on this side of the family pressures me to church. Though lately if I say anything like god dmn it i get this look from my mom. I've been saying it for years but I think she finally realized that I am not religious.

4. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. My parents are ambivalent about the concept of god and don't particularly talk much about religion. I don't think they're outright atheists, like me, though.

5. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, we're Orthadox Jews.
    I'm still growing with it, I guess you can say, but when I'd come home from school confused over what to believe, my dad reaffirmed in my mind that it is all b.s, the Torah is still a great book and progressive for its time but not sufficient in today's society, and that for gods sake, all men are created equal, not as the 5% of our religion that we're technically part of believes. I agree with all this, religion is a tool for morals. Who cares if it happened or not? That's not the point. I just want to reaffirm, 95% of our religion does not view other religions as inferior. That's messed up.

Bye!

6. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Family is very proudly Jewish. We are traditional and hold all the high holidays and stuff but we are not religious, if that makes sense.

7. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, my parents were and still are Christians and raised me as such, and they're pretty light Christians. But they taught Christianity to me like it's factual and I thought it was common knowledge that God was real.
    Then in third grade I saw a book in a bookstore titled "God: The Failed Hypothesis: How Science Shows that God does not exist" and I stopped believing in God pretty much right then and there. It just made too much sense to me.
    Only recently have I actually read the book, and I found it very interesting. I wanted to read the book back then but figured that my parents wouldn't let me.

8. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically my mother was religious, she used to go to church when I was young, but I would characterise her as a social churchgoer . I don't think she actually believed any of it. Pretty sure my father was an atheist, but it wasn't ever something I felt the need to ask him about. I have always remained as atheist as the day I was born.

9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mum in particular is very religious, and although my dad is less so he is still definitely a Christian. We all started off as Catholic but at some point we converted to the Church of England (I'm not sure if I can even call that a "conversion", if I'm honest) so my house has a weird combination of Catholic and CofE customs. Unfortunately my parents retained all the strictness of the Catholics. Why is this unfortunate? Because I am now an atheist/agnostic, and my mum won't stop preaching the Bible onto me.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fairly fundamentalist/evangelicalist family, I slowly did a complete turn-around as I matured and learned to think on my own. Not Westboro level crazy but certainly hateful. Said a lot of things I've learned to regret.

After I eventually read the doctrine I was previously bound to, I noticed countless scientific flaws and examples of backwards morality I cannot approve of. So I left, and I'm still fending off others trying to drag me back in. At this point, even if they had some undeniable proof all of the sudden that this "sky man" was even real, I would refuse to acknowledge such a cruel being.

I've wanted to at least educate them a little about the world outside their Fox "News" propaganda but I'm afraid their skulls are as thick as mine once was. Knowing I cannot educate them and they cannot pull me back into the closet, I've been going my own way.
    I suppose in my case, freedom rides alone.

11. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mother forced us into religion and church regularly, but not in the super extremist level. I'd rate it as average or slightly above. But guess what? 25-30 years ago when I was young and impressionable, those churches said anything other than being exclusively heterosexual made you the devil, and I more or less believed that, at least to the extent I really, really hated myself. That continued for over 25 years, until I admitted I'm bi in the last year or so.

Also, I HATE RELIGION, so, so, so much. It is a unique potent poison to humans physically and mentally. If my life's work was to stamp it out, I'd have led an extremely purpose driven and important life. Needless to say, I'm not an extremist or anything myself, haha.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. My parents were both raised hardcore christian. My mother is a christian and my dad is a 'heathen'

For some weird reason I was baptised and went to church. I tried my best to follow god and apparently I was a great example. Obviously my views changed because now I'm an atheist

13. bicuriousfluff

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Grew up in a very religious household. My views have shifted somewhat.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! Did they convert because of you, or on their own? :confused:

15. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did but I never was religious, especially as I got older.

16. hangwithmejoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, family of Southern Baptists. Sister still wants me to give Christianity a try. I was a Wiccan for ten years, then an atheist. Still an atheist.

17. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mom converted because of the homophobia at church. She was always LGBT+ positive, despite following a Christian religion at first. I came out at 14 and I got nothing but support. But once she realized the church didn't feel the same way as she did, she decided it was too toxic of an environment to expose her family to, especially as the mother of a gay kid.

Now...not all christians are homophobic these days, but she struggles to believe in a real god at all, and believes there's no proof of one. She's sort of agnostic-atheist.

18. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, an orthodox Christian home. The first 13 years of my life were extremely sheltered. I couldn't watch anything other than Animal Planet, or Christian networks. Music was limited to Christian bands, and I went to church all the time. In truth I was incredibly devout, I've read the King James Bible front to back, did daily activities in a workbooklet my mother gave me, and said numerous prayers. Likewise I went to any kind of activity that my church had.

Unfortunately for my mother that never lasted, and I became an atheist at around 16 or so. Not because of my orientation (though I was thrown out of a church for that). But because I think after knowing so much about Christianity I decided it never added up. I am still confident in saying I know at least as much (if not more) about Christianity than my mother, or most of my family.

My father is the only other non-believer in my family. (Or at least, close family.) Though he wasn't in my life until my teenage years, so he doesn't really count.

19. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I did. A mix of Southern Baptist and Jehovah's Witness. Both religions seem too extreme for me, so I chose non-denominational. I believe that God leads me, instead of a fixed denomination.

#39 Anthemic, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  20. timo

Nope, my parents are irreligious. I went to a catholic primary school but that was mostly cause there aren't any good non-religious primary schools in the town I grew up in.

Still not religious.