1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you grow up in a religious household?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just curious to see if you guys grew up with religion or not. If you did have your views since changed?

2. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mom has never been religious. My dad was Christian, but he died when I was 9, so his beliefs didn't influence me very much cause I hardly ever saw him. My cousins on my mom's dad's side are very Christian. I considered myself to not be religious until last summer, when I went to a Christian camp that was sort of connected to my dad, so now I believe in God.

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, thank god.

4. Lex1423

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom is super religious, but in a different way than one would think. She's going to seminary right now, and will finish this next semester, and then hopefully pass her ordination exams to become a reverend of the Presbyterian denomination. But she's completely accepting of minority groups, so she's kind of awesome, and she definitely isn't like the stuffy pastor trying to shove religion onto you. So I grew up Presbyterian, but now I attend our local Unitarian Universalist Church because it aligns more with my beliefs than Christianity, and because my mom lives in Rochester for school, not with us. (My brother and I live with my dad, who's an atheist). My views of Christianity actually changed before I came to understand my gender, I even switched churches with my dad before then.

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kind of. My mom made me go to church even though I didn't want to but for the most part, that was it. Religion was never really discussed outside of church and my Mom, aside from going to church, isn't really religious. She'd maybe mention a thing or two about religion but it was never a lot.

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness by my devout mother. Have my views changed? Well, now I'm an atheist who utterly disavows that religion. You tell me. :grin:

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I was raised by a militant atheist dad and a mom who is strongly against indoctrinating children into religion.

My mom didn't talk about religion much at all, while my dad always told me that religious people are crazy and they should all be burned to death. O.O

My grandparents made me come to church with them a few times, but they stopped making me go once I started crying because I was uncomfortable there.

So I was always an atheist because of my dad teaching me about why he believes that religion is wrong, although I never thought about it for myself until recent months. I certainly do not share his view that religious people should die. :confused: In fact there's hardly anything that my dad and I agree on about anything, lol.

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2016 at 03:51 PM ----------

:thumbsup:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother was pretty hardcore. It was her idea for me to go to Sunday school! My father, he's an atheist more-or-less. He's going straight to hell, for being a terrible person, if nothing else.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents aren't religious at all, but my extended family is largely Roman Catholic. Like my parents, I'm an atheist.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did. My parents were very devout Mormons, not really my cup of tea but it made them wonderful people, helped give them hope and peace and a willingness to see the best in everyone they met. My husband once commented of my parents that it seemed odd that, despite having grown up in the bible belt, he had to go all the way to Utah to find someone whose Christianity really seemed to suit them.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. My parents were raised in religious households and did not want the same silliness for their children.

12. Lulamoon

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised in the LDS (Mormon) Church by my grandmother. I still believe most, but not all, of what the Church teaches, though I haven't attended church in two or three years, and I have no intention of returning any time soon.
    My brother, who I currently live with, quit the Church several years ago, and is almost constantly trying to get me to quit. He says he doesn't care what I do and claims he "isn't shoving his beliefs down my throat", but actions speak louder than words. He obviously doesn't listen to himself.

Growing up in Utah and in the LDS Church, a lot of my friends are LDS. Lucky for me, they were all supportive when I came out as trans.

13. dreamcatcher

Unfortunately, yes. My entire family is Catholic. My parents pray around 2 times a day and go to church twice a week. The only books my dad reads are about Christianity. They get more religious when my grandma is around. My grandmas go to church every day and pray about 6 times a day (no exaggeration). All they talk about is religion. And when one of my grandma's is around, my parents do the rosary every day. They used to force me to do it but now that I'm an adult, they've given up. I don't live at home so I don't have to deal with most of it anyway but when I did live at home, my parents forced me to go to church every Sunday and would try to make me go to confession but I refused.

I used to be a good Catholic but I am agnostic now. Religion has been detrimental to my life which is why I no longer practice it. I like to think there is a God but I can't be sure. And I do find myself praying sometimes but I don't subscribe to any religion anymore.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Yes and no.
    My mother was and still is a part-time Catholic, in the sense that she believes there is something and at Easter and Christmas goes to church with friends of my parents. Other than that she never mentions it.

My father is an atheist and has been afaik, his whole life.
    Growing up, at home, we were never taken to or forced to go to church.

On the other hand, my entire family on my mothers' side, all 7 families, are moderate Catholics and growing up we went to all the comunion celebrations of our cousins. Me and my brother also have uncles and aunts as both secular and religious godparents.
    The main driving force of Catholic religion in our family was my mothers' father, who was devoutly Catholic.

It's from him that me and my younger brother got a children's bible, during the same phase that I was devouring the fairy tales of Grimm, Anderson and the Greek myths of Homerus et al.
    Consequently I did not see, and continue to not see a difference between the religious myths of the Christians and those of all the pagan religions like the Greeks and the Norse.

So, in summary, at home we weren't raised religous, but we did get religious influences and information from my mothers' side of the family.
    But, because I could see no more evidence for the Christian tales than those of Achilles, Thor and Big Bad Wolf, I never got convinced by any of it.

*Edit. Since my childhood I've also read the 'real' bible, as well as the Koran and parts of the Bhagavad Bita and various other religious texts, but I remain unconvinced.

#14 Linthras, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.

My family is Christian (Baptist). In terms of whether this is good or not, I think for the most part it is. My parents are amazing people in many ways, but no one is perfect. The primary area of contention is - you guessed it - LGBT issues. Unfortunately they are of a rather extreme negative in this regard. But other than that, I know they love me and my siblings. It's just tough sometimes.

Myself, I retain interest in Christianity though my views are much more open than my family's. I also practice Buddhism.

16. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and no. My grandparents on my mother's side are devout free-will baptists. My biological father's side of the family is catholic (though I think he got estranged from the catholic church because he's divorced twice/married three different times? Crazy, huh?). However, my mother herself is not religious. She never forced a religion down my throat and let me go to whatever church sessions I wanted to, if I did. Because of family and friend relations, I have been to catholic mass, baptist sunday services, and mormon wednesday night activites and sunday services.

And in the end...I became a not-really-practicing wiccan/pagan. My how things change

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. My mom irreligious as far as I know, but I think my dad thinks "there is/may be something". It's not unlikely for Dutch people to not be into any religion in particular, while still thinking "there is something out there". =]

I know people who are not religious, but do believe in some form of karma and ghosts and spirits. Often also accompanied by the belief in reincarnation (or at least, thinking it's somewhat possible to be true).

18. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, from the start. Then I became an atheist at 14, and the rest of my family converted to atheism as well. It was pretty great.

19. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I was raised a spiritist, which was good, because they don't view homosexuality as something wrong, so I didn't grow up with any guilt nor wishing I was different and when I came out to my parents and my sister, they were surprised, but completely fine with it. They were very supportive.

I used to say I believed in God just because that's what the religion teaches, but now I say I don't, but my beliefs haven't changed.

20. Glowing Eyes

No and my views haven't changed.