1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it make me homophobic if....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Twilight Song, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Twilight Song

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Now while this maybe a very horrid thing to say I need to because I feel like I feel like I'm going to suffocate*if I don't.

So recently I realized that while I'm all for equal rights for the LGBT community, I really don't like reading or writing about them at all. I usually skip over LGBT books and serials, and am really not fond of same sex pairings in either books and serials. Initially I wondered whether I was*not as open minded as I thought was but then I realized that I just can't connect with same sex pairings , the way I can with*straight pairings.

Does this make me homophobic?

I mean if I had to live under the same roof with an LGBT person, I know that I wouldn't care about their sexuality or their anatomy , and would treat them like I treat straight people.

In fact, I've had two friends who while straight were very touchy feely with each other and it never made me uncomfortable. In fact it didn't bother me at all unlike how it bothered one of my male friends.

So umm...can someone help out here?

2. Eris

Eris Guest

nah, i dont think it makes you homophobic, which by definition, means you have a "hatred or fear of homosexuals".

i dont like reading about straight pairings either, does that make me cisphobic? no. i'd say it's just a matter of taste and preference.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really. A lot of gay people don't really connect with straight pairings. As an asexual, even one that likes men and thinks they're pretty, I don't connect with any pairings. It's all a matter of your own orientation, I think.

4. mattni

If you're not scared or hate same-sex couples, then you ain't homophobic. You just skip over books and stuff related to LGBT and that's fine.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, everyone has their own opinion on pairings.

Some straight people can only connect with straight pairings. Some gay people only read gay pairings. Some straight women primarily enjoy lesbian pairings even though they're not gay. Some lesbians primarily enjoy straight or gay male pairings, even though they don't like men. It's fiction so don't overthink it. It has nothing to do with sexuality or hatred of sexualities.

I'm a lesbian, and my favorite pairing I ever wrote is a straight pairing. I enjoy writing them with my friend, who is ALSO not attracted to men at all. If anyone wants to call us straight or bi for our love for this pairing, they can screw off and stop overthinking it.

Also, I personally will not read or watch anything that has a sex scene in it. Straight, gay, lesbian, don't care, do not want to read it. Does that make me a prude or slut shamer? No. I just don't want to read it.

6. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just as a lot of other people have said, it's not homophobia, just personal preference. I'd like it more if gay couples were in more mainstream stories but i've found plenty of straight relationships in stories to be nice. We just have a difference in preference and that's all there is to it.

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Skipping over a few lgbt related stuff doesn't really make you homophobic. I can't really relate to straight couples too and anything related to them doesn't interest me as much. Its a matter of preference really, just as long as you're not beating them with a bat and calling them the f word, i think it's fine to feel that way sometimes.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it does.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of us have various things that we are more or less comfortable about. For some of us, any direct discussion of sexual activity or experience is awkward and uncomfortable. For others, it might be talking about our feelings. For still others, it might be avoiding confrontation or uncomfortable emotions.

We've all been brought up with different experiences, values, prototypes that influence who we are. There's nothing inherently wrong with not wanting to read stories (or see movies) depicting same sex relationships.

That said, *any* time anyone has something that makes him or her uncomfortable, and it is something that most other people are OK with (and something that's fundamentally a healthy thing), there may be an opportunity for self-exploration to see what it is, specifically, that makes this thing (discussion of sex; confrontation; sharing intimate feelings, etc) uncomfortable. Often, by exploring this, we can find a part of ourselves that needs some attention, and that, once we do so, will be a healthier part of ourselves.

10. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Chip makes a really good point, maybe all of us could keep that in mind :icon_bigg, you must already be quite open to have made the effort of posting here to "confess" what you believed to be homophobic though. To me personally, it seems as though you simply don't have an interest in watching/reading/writing about LGBT subjects, in the same way we aren't too interested in indulging in things about straight/cis subjects. You've likely been told this all the times you need to be at this point, but this doesn't confirm you as any form of homophobic at all. ( ^ u ^ )

11. Twilight Song

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So I just found the first same sex pairing I'm going to write about. I came across them quite by accident, and now they're going quite strong as I really can't seem to stop rooting for them and shipping them.

*Frowns*
    Of course I'm still not sure whether their ship sinks or not, considering that at least one of the characters is most probably bisexual but from what I've gathered they really don't want to be parted and this story really suits them so it seems like this ship might just stay afloat.

So if you are a fan of fantasy , you can check it out when I post it on Wattpad, that is if you're interested. I'll post the tentative publishing date when I've fleshed out their backstory and the plot, because right now it's really unpolished.

I thought that I would share this ,because I know how rare LGBT characters are in fiction. And because I've finally moved on from my reluctance to write about LGBT characters.^_^

12. KYSS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it doesn't make you homophobic it's just a matter of preference like everyone said here. Personally although I wouldn't mind be in straight relationship. I prefer same sex media. Because I feel you can find straight media everywhere: fiction, movies, music, IRL. Pretty much everywhere.

13. Flowey

I'm a gay person who isn't interested in LGBT books or whatever because LGBT-themed movies and stuffs will focus on LGBT issues (Well, 'duh' me). It bores me....I'm more of an action, fantasy, sci-fi, horror guy...
    If the actors are hot though, then that another story :wink:

14. Twilight Song

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well my book is fantasy, so if you want , you can check it out once I publish it on Wattpad.

15. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the others - that doesn't make you homophobic. As a bisexual woman, I enjoy reading and/or watching stuff about gay/lesbian/straight pairings. It makes no difference to my sexuality or sexual beliefs. I just happen to be a sucker for romance, and have to admit, I do get turned on reading about/watching love scenes (Doesn't have to be sexual, just the intimacy between the two characters makes me feel all bubbly inside).

So just relax and keep doing (or avoiding) whatever it is that you enjoy/avoid. You're on an LGBT site, so that in itself says a lot about your support for the community. Just my two cents :grin:

16. Kat 5

Nah. I usually avoid cishet pairings like the plague lol.

17. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It might also have something to do with the environment you grew up in. I used to be quite averse to gay pairings in books and things too, before I realised I was gay myself, and now I can't get enough of them. I wouldn't say it makes you homophobic.

(also, heya fellow Indian!)

#17 Opheliac, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016