1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Naxams, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Eris

Eris Guest

insta existential crisis

"what is the purpose of life" - that is the question i asked myself when i got into some depressive episodes like a few weeks ago and had mostly gave up on myself and my life. i tried so hard to look for a purpose but there were none.

its so magical that after some incidences, i dont think of things like that anymore. im back to being emotionally resilient. im back to saying, "the purpose of life, is to end the suffering of other beings". life itself has no purpose; we can do as we please. you can choose to let your life atrophy but you can also do things that allow you to learn something new each day. to let life be meaningful, at least for me, i have to play a part in order to change things for the better. the goal i aim for now, is to live life with content. it may not be in accordance to society's view of "success", but this is my life, and the story is mine to make.

2. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally?

I think the meaning of life is to question. Where would we be if no one said "What if?", If no one had tried to see past the surface?

Of course I'm only 16, and have awhile more to think on that. So who knows how I'll answer the same question five years from now? Heh. Maybe the meaning is to change

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have fun and try to leave the world a better place than you found it. Ultimately we are just a tiny speck in the universe. Individually our lives have very little meaning.

4. timo

In my opinion life doesn't have much meaning. Have fun, make people around you happy. So I just have a lot of fun and be good to others and try not to worry too much about what the future brings.

5. GreenTree

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Happiness.
    Enjoying the small things in life and sharing happiness with others.
    :slight_smile:

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Serving people above me. Basically everyone

7. Guff

I once read somewhere the point of life is to find and execute a lifelong plan of ways to stay happy that involves doing harm to as few as possible on the way.
    I kinda liked it.

8. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    42!

There is no intrinsic meaning of life. We live any one of the countless varieties of miserable lives, and we die.

9. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Darn it, I was going to say that.

10. Hemospectrum

Hemospectrum Guest

For me, the meaning of life is whatever you make of it. Some people may perceive life as a game, while other may see it as an opportunity to shrive. It's all about your beliefs, as your opinions and thoughts are the reason why you act the way you act and talk the way you talk.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The great psychiatrist and psychotherapist, Carl G. Jung would say that in youth, questions about the meaning of life should be set aside until one is much older.

So what to do in the meantime? Gain a skill, it doesn't quite matter what, as long as you love it, as long as you create a set of values, chief among them being the idea of excellence.

Here is a passage from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert M. Pirsig:

The surest path to joy is to master a skill, and it is through that skill, and through your interaction with the world as it is that you will find yourself, later in life, in contemplation of what all of this living has meant...this is appropriate for old age, not youth. Just live your life with an attitude of excellence, the meaning of it all will soon enough manifest itself.

12. Ryu

Ryu

Reproduce and die according to science, get into the afterlife or rebirth in religion, take each day as it comes extasentialism is to much effort is my view.

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say advancing collective knowledge and eliminating detrimental ideas. When science advances, that's when we progress.

There are people who go against knowledge and it's progress however, they are to be educated immediately and thoroughly.. I don't know a solution for Ray Comfort types who ignore blatant evidence in an effort to hold back global advancement, as they seem to be immune to education.

My personal take on attempting to give reason to my existence, anyway.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It reminds me of 'Find what you love and let it kill you'...

The original meaning of life is survival, just to stay alive another day -and, if you can afford it, pass your genes.

The rest, whatever theory you want to believe in... It is pretty much your own meaning, and at the end it doesn't matter what you believe in, because your body will rot at some point, and in a couple of generations you won't be remembered by anyone anyways, so... Carpe diem.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :grin:

Yes...this is the "stark" version...but one that I generally agree with.

I did however say: gain a skill, as opposed to "Find what you love", because, it is through gaining a skill, in something that may have mildly stimulated you at first, which can become a deep passion with time as you get better and better at it. This is more likely to lead to a measure of happiness in this too short sojourn among the living.

But yeah, the principal cause of death is life, no escaping that clause, no matter how much you jog, or pull weights...