1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Naxams, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No seriously, what is it to you? But don't be that cheeky bugger and say 42, be honest I want to know what other people think and since it's kind of an awkward question to ask in person I'll ask here.

2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strangle as much fun as possible out of life (or at least that's the meaning I created for myself)

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Naxams,

But that's a cheeky question, as well, don't you think?:grin:

O.K., if I can't say 42 or any other axiom such as from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I will try to be as real-world serious as I can be.

You're young. YOU have decide what the meaning of life is for yourself. Just as each of us has to come to terms with our own sexuality in our own timeframe and on our own terms, I would argue that coming to an understanding of the meaning of our lives is very similar. I'm not sure that any two peoples lives mean exactly the same to them. I also think that whatever motivates and drives a person can (maybe should) be the meaning of life to them.

For myself, I just always wanted to do the best I could and have a positive impact on those around me (i.e. just make people around me happier), whenever possible. That also reflects positively back on how my life feels/goes.

If you are asking if there is a greater spiritual purpose to our lives on this planet, I certainly wouldn't pretend to be able to answer that. But there are religions and philosophies that exist purporting to answer your question. If you explore and find one that feels right to you, then perhaps live with that philosophy or religion for a time and see if it answers/meets your needs.

I'm sorry that I probably didn't actually help with your inquiry.:icon_sad:

4. Yosia

I think life is simply what you make it out to be. I personally don't believe in stuff such as 'living our lives in devotion to a god' and don't get me wrong, if that's a belief people have then awesome! I believe evereyone should be able to believe what they like - because who really knows?

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you make of it. :sunglasses:

Personally my main goal is to find happiness. ^.^ Though I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet...

I've never really understood this question, though. What exactly is meant by "meaning"? :confused: If you want to know what "life means" then you can look up "life" in the dictionary, lol.

6. L0ser

Each person has their own interpretation of the "meaning" of life. I haven't figure out what I live for yet, besides that I want to find that out. I don't think there is any grand meaning or purpose, and I'm pretty much an absurdist so I'm sure if I'll ever really have apply a meaning to life.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure. It's almost like a story. There are many chapters in your life and there is a whole lot of change and progress within your life just like a book.

8. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've thought about this a lot, and my answer might change in the future, but right now I think that life doesn't really have any meaning.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting analogy, Andrew99. IRL, stories are created by authors with a predetermined outcome. Are you implying that their is an Author (perhaps God) who predetermines our lives? And would you say that our lives, in general, (regardless of the previous "author" question) are predetermined?

Just asking...:slight_smile:

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, that's a very deep question and I'm sure the answer is different for everyone.

From a perspective that isn't spiritual, I'd say my goal is to leave the planet a little better than if I hadn't been here. I know ultimately I'm a vapor in the wind, but if we all strived for that it would create a positive cycle, similar to how negativity also forms a cycle.

So I guess to add more positivity to a world that really needs it, even if I can't do much as just one person in the long run. :slight_smile:

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I pretty much agree with the faith of my upbringing that people "are that they might have joy". I think that the greatest joy is found in interpersonal relationship, i.e. love.

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never considered "What is the meaning of life?" to be a very big question.
    I think it's obvious that we exist because the conditions were right for Earth to form, abiogenesis to happen, and evolution to bring us here today; there is no deeper, cosmic meaning. We create our own meaning now that we have consciousness and can do things to please ourselves.

13. killswitch0029

Like a passage from a book, life's meaning is a very subjective thing in my own personal opinion. If I was going to say what I think the meaning of life would be though.... Do what makes you happy, be a good person, deal with and overcome the hardships, and most importantly, have a little bit of fun along the way.

14. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

large scale it has no individual meaning. we are all just completely insignificant parts of an unimaginably large universe in which one singe life is meaningless and we only have meaning as an entire species.

small scale life means continuing on even when things are hard, striving for happiness, fulfillment, helping others when you can, etc.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not quite. Idk if there is an author but I don't think that there is a god that predetermined our lives. I think it is up to us to see what is out their and to explore life for our own. Meet new people. And I think that's how our stories get written and/or filled.

16. Joelouis

As you've hit on exactly what I was thinking, I'll not bother!

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, this.

18. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once read that if something isn't good it's not over.
    I try to life my life like that. If I'm not happy with something I can change it.

My goal, my meaning in life is to help animals. I dream of having a farm for old cats and dogs whose owners gave them away because they're old. I like the idea of giving them a nice shelter for the rest of their life ^^

19. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aw, but 42 was totally going to be my answer.

The meaning of life is whatever you make of it.

20. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Life has no intrinsic value or meaning except that which we assign to it.

Happy days :slight_smile: