1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rpj1209, Nov 22, 2016.

1. rpj1209

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so I have come out to my mom and her side of the family. However, I live with my dad and his side of the family so, I need help telling them. I have been with my boyfriend for almost two months now. How should I tell them? Should I just bring him home one day and come out that way? He has already met my mom's side of the family. Help please!!!

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey rpj1209,

First, how did you Come Out to your Mom and her side of the family? Could you use as similar technique to Come Out to your Dad and his side of the family?

Second, how do you anticipate that your Dad and his side of the family will react? If there is a chance that any of them may not be supportive, do you want to potentially put your boyfriend in the middle of that? On the flip side, would YOU feel more comfortable Coming Out to them with him by your side? (And assuming he goes into the situation knowingly and willingly.)

Third, could bringing your boyfriend to house and Coming Out at the same time, possibly cause additional problems for you and your boyfriend. Remember that people often need some time to understand and accept when we Come Out to them. Could Coming Out by introducing your boyfriend all at once potentially overwhelm your Dad and his side of the family?

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

3. rpj1209

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother's side of the family was very accepting and I knew they would be so I just came out and told them before I had a boyfriend. But my dad's side of the family I feel will not be understanding and accepting that's why I have not told them yet. I'm just scared and would feel better having my boyfriend there but I don't know how that would go over.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.K., rpj1209.

So, have you asked your Mom for her input on how you might Come Out to your Dad and his side of the family?

If you think you'd be much more comfortable Coming Out to your Dad and his side of the family with your boyfriend at your side, then, like I said, make sure he knows what you are expecting in terms of a reaction from them and what you expect him to do, if anything.

5. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

I can understand you feeling more comfortable coming out with your boyfriend by your side. But if you feel that this half of your family may not take it too well I would be a little concerned that they may "blame your boyfriend for turning you this way" or think that if you never met him that you would have found a girlfriend or some other silly ideas that put all the blame on him.

It may be worth thinking about two bits of news rather than one big one.Firstly while alone,come out and let them know your gay and then take your boyfriend home and introduce him as someone more than a friend.

You obviously know them better than anyone and it has to be your call,but I just don't want your family to have any reason to be set against your boyfriend before they even have a chance to get to know him.

Good luck

6. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gradual is probably the way to do it in this case, based on what you said. A lot of people will have a kind of bad initial reaction but come around in the near future. Up to you, ultimately.