1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have your "tastes" changed as you've come to understand gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by luke564, Nov 22, 2016.

1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I'm curious what things didn't you feel free to enjoy before?

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, they did. One part of them is stuff I always wanted but was afraid to do, because what people would say and so on. Like hitting on people. Or computer games, and goofing around with the dudes. And the second part was... actually femininity. I used to be uncomfortable with expressing femininity, and it was a form of dysphoria, I wanted to project an image, you know. So when I realised I might be actually a dude, I became comfortable with the idea of having kids and with feminine clothes, make-up, nail polish and the such. My relationship with clothing and my body changed a lot. Also, the idea that I could be the dude in the relationship opened me up to my attraction to women. But speaking of interests, they stayed the same, I think.

3. Niko

I guess for me I couldn't stand playing as a female character in a video game. But now that I've accepted myself I have no issues with choosing a female character over a male.

Also for clothing when I still in the closet with myself and identified as female, it was very "emo" or way too edgy. I tried to be something I wasnt but did it because I thought that's what I wanted. But once I came out to myself that phase pretty much ended immediately.

4. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the replies, I found it really interesting to read about your experiences.

Since becoming unsure of myself, and joining this site I have wondered a lot about my own hobbies, interests, likes and dislikes etc

I thought long and hard about all the opinions that I have, which I didn't really choose myself - they're just ones that ive grown up around, and been influenced to like - such strong opinions about how to dress, or what music to listen to or how to act around other people and stuff like that.

I have a lot of typical guy interests, but looking back - I was the only guy in my family that didn't like football, wasn't that big on drinking or sports - I went for so long without a girlfriend I know my dad suspected I was gay for a long time (long before I questioned it, and actually got a girlfriend).

In a way, I was always proud and unashamed that I liked stuff that wasn't stereotypically macho, it didn't bother me that I had opinions about how women dress, or interior design, I'd "pick female characters" in videogames and never really think anything of it.

Even though I'm now wondering if I could be "bi" - I'm finding that I've become so curious about more "effeminate" interests, I wonder how it would actually feel to wear clothes different to the ones I wear, I've tried listening to different music that I would never have been caught dead listening to a few years ago, and found that once I got over the initial hump of my brain just saying "no no no" - I've found it to be kind of a nice feeling. I've found myself having all sorts of weird dreams and thoughts, like moving to a new town where nobody knows me and completely re-inventing myself - I would never do it of course, but you just can't help wonder sometimes - what if I did? how would it feel...