1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have your "tastes" changed as you've come to understand gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by luke564, Nov 22, 2016.

1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like actually asking this question with regards to sexual identity also.

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed their interests, hobbies, taste in music, tv, clothes, (the things they like to do when they go out etc) changing as you've come to understand accept your gender identity?

I'm not talking about finally having the courage to enjoy things you have always secretly liked, but more that certain tastes have actually unexpectedly changed as a result?

Maybe it took a while for it to happen, maybe you didn't even realise it was happening until after you changed.

2. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just realized I drink coffee way diffently earlier today. I used to just drink it black, because I liked it. But today I got a large pumpkin spice with vanilla soy milk and organic sugar. This changed completely out of left field after I figured out my gender. Lol.

3. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm being mocked

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2016 at 09:49 PM ----------

:frowning2:

4. KayJay

I used to enjoy video games a lot more before I transitioned. Now it's something I'll do for a few hours every now and then. I used to play countless hours a day before. I can't really think of anything else that changed so drastically.

5. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    KayJay that is actually super interesting to me, is it because you've lost interest?

6. KayJay

Maybe partly, ya. They don't make me feel as good anymore. I can't say for sure if it's the hormones but it's definitely been a change.

7. realworldbound

Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't think mine really have at all. Though for whatever reason, I've become much less socially awkward. Since realizing that I'm genderfluid and not just a gay man that feels "more feminine" sometimes, for whatever reason I've noticed myself communicating so much better with my peers and even my family. I'm thinking that maybe I was always conscious of this but my brain put a lot of thought into hiding it so I would be kind of hard to communicate with. Now I hold conversations really well and people think I'm a lot more confident. It's ironic though as I've definitely had a lot more worries haha.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

I felt sensitive about a few things, but I have learned to embrace them. In some ways, this made me feel more secure in my identity, instead of invalidating it like I initially thought it would.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having your interests change either.

#8 Nychthemeron, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How? I was being serious, as stupid as it sounds.

10. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really can't think of any ways my tastes have changed, but I also haven't changed much in my presentation at all. I wear exactly the same clothes, talk the same way, have the same haircut, etc. The only thing that's changed about me is my pronouns and preferred name. The only thing I can think of that has changed at all taste wise is that I've maybe become more dominant and demanding sexually, but I think that is more the testosterone than my understanding of my gender. I think I always wished I was more like that but didn't have the confidence. So maybe in a way it is related to gender just because I feel more confident overall since coming out as trans so I'm more willing to express myself and my needs.

#10 Rickystarr, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  11. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've become even more drawn away from feminine things than I used to. Turns out I'm quite the masculine guy, though I had repressed this for several years without really knowing it. Now that I'm aware of who I am, I'm unable to wear half of the clothes that I used to be ok with. Certain clothes seem to make me feel dysphoric nowadays, probably because I've realised how much they bring out my somewhat feminine figure. I also act a LOT more masculine, and many of the feminine actions that I used to do are now seldom ever done by me. I had always felt deep inside that a lot of my femininity was me faking my personality to try to fit in, so now I've just let all of it go.

Other than that though, my interests are pretty much the same. I still like martial arts, and I still barely understand the concept of fangirling. I still love music (rock AND classical), I still draw the same types of art. Also, I still find small animals cute; that's one part of me that is not leaving.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, I care way less about what I'm ''supposed'' to like.

For example, I don't hate pink anymore. I used to when I was a kid, but now, I realize that it's just a color like any other. Also, I don't exaggerate how I carry myself anymore. I'm not really feminine either, but I'm not excessively masculine, if that makes sense.

Oh, I care more about the type of clothing I wear. Before, I'd just take what would be easier to hide my curves with. Now, I actually buy things I enjoy wearing.

For the rest, my interests mostly stayed the same.

13. wolf of fire

I've come to like pink in a way, I want to dye my hair pink.

14. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Really interesting guys.

15. Irisviel

not changed... but expanded. I just like to pursue some things more because I don't need to repress them. It's all subtle though, more about being comfortable than developing anything that hasn't been there.

16. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anything changed for me.

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah.

Which is a bit problematic, actually. Trying to adjust my aesthetics to pass as another gender is trickier than I thought, what with having to learn new fashion rules and all that...on top of that, Pennsylvania guys can't dress themselves for shit, so I've been taking all my advice from blogs and stuff.

Just as complicated, some of my tastes are androgynous, but in that femme boy way, not that tomboy way, and my body...just can't do that. When I blur the lines of gender, I want it to be clear that I'm a somewhat delicate guy, not a somewhat rough girl.

Tastes in other things have stayed pretty consistent, too...

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you mean expanded then yes. No I didn't give up everything I was or liked just because I'm trans.

19. Monsterita

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not really. I'm allowed to enjoy things that I didn't feel free to enjoy before, so I do a lot of different things than I used to, but I don't think my tastes have changed.

I also used to play a lot of video games to 'escape'. Playing Elder Scrolls or Fallout with a female character was my way of 'medicating' my dysphoria. But I had to play those games in secret, too. I don't play games as much anymore because I made an online friend who accepts me as I am. So I spend all that time talking to her, instead.

20. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same. I'm still a huge hockey nut, that isn't changing. I still want to play "men's" league (they call it that but most rec leagues are mixed). I still drink and have a potty mouth too.