1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quesion to other dudes with periods

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Nov 16, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

How do you deal with the pain? Mine is in fact horrible and I'm incapable of doing anything else than watching TV and complaining. The painkillers I use are prescription free and therefore basically useless, the recommended amounts for a day works for 3/4 of the day.
    I'm kinda chain-smoking because short-term it stops the pain (I guess because of heightened blood pressure).

The thing is: I absolutely refuse to put any female hormones in my body and visit some doc for women (who will most certainly annoy the hell outta me to put female hormones in my body).

Anyone got ideas how to make it better? Maybe warmth patches or something? Tape the area?

2. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    TENS machine bro, from any pharmacy type shop - not sure what you'd have in Germany, but a Boots type place. Electro pulses to the area experiencing pain and it stops the signals reaching your brain. In other words, the pain stops. I have one and my pain gets so bad that I pass out, so I am on the pill and have been for years. But I'll have to stop that when I start T which terrifies me because the pain is so extreme. So, use the machine (handheld device with pads to apply to the area) and get some Solpadeine Max (which is basically cocodamol but is the highest strength you can buy over the counter).

3. Brytaleith

I'm not a dude, but I do have periods and I hope you won't mind me answering your question.

I have really bad cramps too that usually force me to take a day of two off school. For the most part, I sleep the worst of it off, or at least try to. My senses are always far more sensitive when I have cramps, and literally any movement/sound/light makes me nauseous. I think hot packs make it a lot better, warm drinks (generally tea) help too. I use hot packs when my hands are shaking too badly for me to carry the tea.

I've honestly only tried painkillers once. They're over the counter medication, which is why I've never used them until last month when it was super painful. They helped somewhat. I lost the remaining pills this cycle, so I didn't take them.

Apparently a healthy diet and exercise helps too, but I've always been far too lazy and indulgent to take that route.

I really don't know how it is for you, but I hope you find a way to deal with the pain! Best of luck!

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have actually read smoking makes it worse.

Also, my nurse practioner at planned parenthood said if testosterone didn't stop my periods, they would put me on a depo shot because other birth control would contradict the t. Idk anything about that and I wouldn't want to do that anyway, but my periods have never been debilitating. Since starting T, I had one period that was rather light and I had zero discomfort while before I would have minimal cramping and other symptoms. I just finished a second one which was even lighter to the point where I didn't have to use any "feminine products" at all. Hopefully I won't have one at all next month. So you have that to look forward to eventually!

5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find putting pressure on my abdomen helps so I usually curl up with a fat pillow.

Also to do with the shaking (for Brytaleith) that can be linked to not having enough iron so I have started having iron supplements which help a lot.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't take any hormones either, it just makes people swell and have strokes, that is my opinion. Even doctors told me it's dangerous.

Ugh... I wonder how it is when your period is basically what my random bleeding is... Or when you don't have to take painkillers... At alll.. Or just herbs work...

I got prescription painkillers and additionally to removing the pain, they lighten and shorten the period too, even if I take them for two days. Also, unfortunately I just don't push myself and take a day or half off. And dont eat. Except for some light stuff like rice, chicken and bread. Not too much of that either. And keep myself warm. When the cramps are light some stretching does indeed help.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Thank you very much for your replies.
    @Kal: I'll check if this is available somewhere.
    @Brythaleith: Warm drinks are a good idea. I have an exellent coffee machine ^^ I do strengh training but I suppose with exercise they mean yoga or something?
    @ Ricky: This is true, but as a regular smoker anyway I might aswell use the short-term effects instead of quitting for a few days (I behave like a mixture of dalek and bored Sherlock then so...bad plan) I am pre-T and I suppose I won't be able to start soon.
    @emerry: Oh it's not about the weight gain, I'm slim like a rock star it's that this stuff doesn't belong in my body. I was lucky a lot of time, it happend when I don't have work but for this weekend (I suppose it's gonna last) good old Murphy's here.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Caffeine worsens cramps too so don't drink coffee, strong tea and there is a possibility Solpadeine will make things worse.

When you google period excersices, there is plenty of that.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I still had cramps, putting heat on top of my belly helped A LOT.

It was basically the only thing that worked. I'd take my cat and force her to sleep on me (poor kitty xD) or my dog, who was less annoyed by it. Letting my laptop overheat on me was also a lifesaver.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@emerry: Oh...not good. I'm a coffeine addict and currently doing another diet to lower my voice so therefore it's kinda necessary. I think I'll have to reduce it to a minimum for the next days.

@RainbowGreen: Yes, I find warmth does actually help. Pets are great at that ^^

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't had shark week in almost two years,but I still her killer cramps. The most I can do is ibprophen and distractions. That's probably not much help though.

12. Synesthesia

Yeah that's what I always do, although I rarely get bad cramps.