1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philosophical/Religious Affiliation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PanPrideLgbt, Nov 15, 2016.

1. PanPrideLgbt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I attended a Lutheran church last Advent, thought I was at a Catholic Mass. Not too bad but I stopped going.

2. L0ser

I'm also an absurdist, which as you said also implies atheism. This is the first time I've seen someone else say they're absurdist in one of these threads, so that's pretty cool.

But yeah, this guy put it into words way better than I could.

3. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pretty much a Spiritist, except that I don't believe in God or in karma.

4. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moral/existential nihilist - and by extension, atheist. Basically? I don't believe there is a god. I also don't believe that anything we do, say, or are, is meaningful. I also believe that morality is a human construct, and in the grand scheme of things there is no "good" or "bad" - there is simply nothingness.

And no, because I've been asked this before, that does not mean I condone such things as murder. It simply means that I don't view morals as anything more than opinion. None right, none wrong.

5. Sea Bass

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  6. MrSkittles

7. Glowing Eyes

8. YinYang

Hellenic Polytheistic and Pagan/Wiccan.

9. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A little bit of Pagan and New Age mixed together whilist also adhering to some Buddhist and Tao philosophies. I don't believe in all-powerful "gods" per se, but I do believe in beings and spirits that inhabit higher plains of consiousness. The closest thing to a "god" that I belive in is the collective consiousness of the universe.

10. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Maybe somebody can help me find my philosophical/religious affiliation here?

I did a little research and, at least, I think I'm an atheistic evolutionist.

I've come to understand that all life on the planet goes into a cycle of: birth, growth, death, decomposition (during this stage, the soul of one's body remains in the spiritual plane), & rebirth.

I've also come to realize that the evolution of plants, animals, and humans are ever-going; along with the environment (mountains, forests, oceans, and cities for example).

I believe that humans are gods (demigods?).

I also believe in morality; in that, there are laws that govern this entire universe.

It'd be great to know where I stand in the philosophical/religious world.

Thanks in advance!

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Terminology and labels can be a huge pain in the ass, but here's what I think when I read this.

If you view that there's an essence or soul in everything, you could be an animist. There's also pantheism; which is the belief that everything is of divinity or everything is, in a way, god. However, pantheists don't believe in a distinct or anthropomorphic god. There's also spiritual naturalism and secular spirituality that might also click with you.

For me, I've been told to look into pantheism for that reason. I don't believe that there is a higher power that governs the universe or is a physical being we can interact with nor interacts with us. However, if the name of or idea of a god could be applied to anything, then it would be the universe--because it's all powerful and everywhere all at once much like a higher power would be, but it's not all knowing or, again, interacts with us in the way a god would (ex: miracles).

12. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Daydreamer1, I thank you for helping me there :thumbsup:

I looked up some of the terminology that you've introduced to me.

Animism sounds like it's in the same ballpark as I am in, especially the first definition where it says that it attributes spiritual entities to things. Pantheism was a little off because I think there is a god in which humans technically are it. The first part of the definition in naturalism sounded great where everything arises out of spontaneity, but then, it went on to say that spirituality and the sorts were out of the question. Hmm, I don't think I'm entirely secular since I believe in souls.

Looks like I'm still trying to find my way here :confused:

I guess you could say I believe there are gods in that humans are it at a technicality, spiritualist-evolutionist-moralist??? :lol:

I'll find my place in time & space, I guess.

Thanks, again, Daydreamer1! Means a lot to me.

Have a Happy New Year's (*hug*)

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem. There's so many labels out there that it can nbe hard to figure out what works. There's a video that this woman Cara did for ThePaganPrespective that talks about something like this that couldscoulds be helpful too.

14. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm certainly a Deist and I principally lean to the Christianity branch of Deism.

15. Dalmatian

I liked the "secular humanist atheist" answer someone gave on page 1. However, I would like to give a bit more emphasis to the respect of non-human fellow beings.. and it would be fair to say antitheist, even if it doesn't make much sense :slight_smile:

16. SiKiHe

Catholic raised atheist. I like the idea of not caring about religion though, and just loving people either way. And I have a deep respect for people who believe in anything and use it for good.

17. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised Christian, but I am agnostic. I have considered Deism, though.

18. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was baptized as a Mormon, but fell away...... I don't know. Probably a more scientific approach, like evolution, the big bang, stuff like that....

19. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ancient astronaut theorist...I tend to believe in extra terrestrial intervention rather than divine intervention, there's a lot of things I don't agree with on that stupid ancient aliens show, they're just grasping at straws...but one thing I am sure of is that there was definitely a higher intelligence on earth a long time ago that was somehow forgotten or like I believe was just misinterpreted. This belief is still ridiculed and considered blasphemous to much of the world, but until I see something that better explains some of the astonishing things that ancient people were able to do with the help of "gods", it's what I believe.

20. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Hey! Do you believe in extraterrestrials!?

Because I do! *high fives*

:grin: