1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philosophical/Religious Affiliation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PanPrideLgbt, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*)

2. alexidsa

alexidsa Guest

I believe in common sense, science, love, empathy, etc. I guess secular humanism comes closest to it but I don't like labels. I'm also interested in Buddhism but in a secular way.

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Discordianism.

You all are Discordians, you just don't know it yet =P

(All hail Eris)

4. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    agnostic existentialism

5. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Existential nihilism

6. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of a funky atheist pagan thingy going on here :slight_smile:

7. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These are ideas I've been pondering for some time, and absurdism or a variation thereof seem to be the most appealing to me at the moment. Note, my understanding of the various schools of philosophy is sub-elementary, so I might be blurring some definitions and over-generalizing. I feel pulled toward a sort of nihilism at times, just wanting to give in to despondency. But what's the point? Since we're here, why not try to feel good once in a while? I've fostered enough misery already, haha! Some brief vids have again piqued my interest lately, including the following:

[YOUTUBE]w7EBDF_Ixjg[/YOUTUBE]

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Jellal

Agnostic with an interest in learning from many religions and philosophies to hear what they have to say.

10. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agnostic atheist.
    (As in, like literally everyone else on the planet, I do not have enough information to say for certain one way or another, however I do not *believe* in a god or gods.

I was raised in a "Choose your own path" sort of way. They didn't brainwash me with religious dogma nor did they force science down my throat. I was allowed to choose my own way. However, my grandmother did force me to go to some Sunday school stuff as well as had my aunt give me "lessons" on Christianity and stuff.

11. SHIELDAgentAlex

I think you misunderstand nihilism-- it's not "life has no meaning, let's fuck shit up.", it's "life has no inherent meaning, therefore we must give it meaning and do our best to make a difference, because why be miserable in our short existences?"

I'm a nihilist in the vein of Nietzsche--I reject all notions of a greater meaning, and choose to take responsibility for my actions, rather than blaming God or Satan. I believe that there is no Good or Evil: there's only Stagnation and Change. Change is good. I'm agnostic, because I'm not certain about God, but I certainly wouldn't worship Yahweh.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, nihilism definitionally depends on the rejection of a search for meaning. It certainly shares many of existentialism's and absurdism's tenants, but it is distinct from them in that it doesn't actively seek to create moral frameworks for existence and declares knowledge, morality and communication to be fundamentally null.

Nietzsche, as it so happens, was not a nihilist. He was specifically an anti-nihilist who tried to rebut nihilism in a way relatable to how nihilists thought.

13. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Christian, Evangelical Lutheran to be exact.

14. Flowey

The philosophy of "Things just happen. What the hell."

15. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I'd give you a cookie if the virtual world would allow it.

16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m a secular atheist. I used to be religious, since the age of four up till age eleven I was a Christian. Then when I hit twelve, I changed my mind. To me, it feels weird looking back on it now with my new mindset and beliefs. To this day I’m an atheist.

To me, I don’t think the world revolves around humans, but rather humans revolve around the world. That we are fairly insignificant, just another part of the ecosystem. I think nature can be beautifully chaotic, and sometimes just down right chaotic and not at all beautiful. I dislike the “everything happens for a reason” ideology, but I can respectfully disagree with it. I think life is more disorderly than most people realise.

I have a saying, “life doesn’t have a meaning, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t meaning to life”. Basically, what I mean by this is that I don’t think life has a singular meaning (besides 42 obviously. :grin:) and that it is more multifaceted than that. I don’t think anything has meaning until will give it one, a building only becomes a building when you think of it as such, we could go around calling houses “a bunch of bricks” but we don’t because we have this idea of houses and home, so we call it a building. If we didn’t, then the meaning would alter. If we considered all buildings something only for other animals besides humans, that’s what a building would be. There would be no connection of humans living in such.

Morality is a difficult thing, is there such a thing as innate morality? Sure, we have reflexes, guilt, and a more primitive side. But do we have a sense of wrong and right innately? Well…I know there have been studies on mice showing that they have a concept of sharing, so possibly? I think morality is a subjective thing, and depends on the situation. I’ve never like the idea of “treat others like you would like to be treated” because what if a person hates themselves and thinks they deserve punishment? Should they punish others? I don’t think so.

But when you think about it, any ideology can be twisted in the wrong hands. A message intended to bring peace can be interpreted as a reason for war by the wrong listener. People hear what they want to hear, particularly if it’s vague enough. Tell a group of people you don’t know the same vague compliment and they’ll find a way to apply it to themselves and see it as something personal to them, when really it isn’t.

People are selfish. Sometimes we are insecure about things others aren’t bothered about, mainly because they’re too busy being insecure about themselves. Probably anyway. I don't know what school of thought my beliefs fall in, but yeah...

17. aeva

Another in the Secular Humanist Atheist camp. Definitely a moral relativist.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a super-skeptic, anarchist, atheist father, and I work in a scientific field, so I'm a very logical and evidence-driven person. I get frustrated when people make decisions based off emotions or spread information that is not rooted in fact.

18. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agnostic.

19. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can certainly respect this, and at the same time envy the thought of reasonable family members. My questioning (And later being gay) has sort of driven a wall between us in a sense.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people