1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump claims to be fine with same-sex marriage as law of the land

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Dare2bProud

Post election I have been following Sen. Sanders and Sen. Warren, they are two strong democrats that continually state that if Trump & Pence want to take rights away they will fight harder. I read an article that Trump is going into the White House with the lowest popularity rating of any newly elected President. At some point who is going to have to pay attention and care about the unrest in America, if he doesn't other countries will, the last thing he should want to do is make the country he is running look bad .. or he could. It takes a lot of work to change a law that's already enacted, a lot of layers to go through and there would be no sleeping at the White House if he even started. There would be protests everyday.

I heard someone on here recently say, we need to just wait and see. Does anyone find that as a Hillary supporter that other Hillary supporters have turned on one another when someone says, "Give him a chance to lead. We need to just let the election go and find new directions to fight." I have been caught up with people who say my loyalty Clinton is negative because I have resided with the notion she lost the electoral college and that we just need to move forward. I have had to be very conscious on twitter lately to not seem like some type of traitor.

The election is over, there's not much more anyone can do, but side with those democratic leaders that are in our corner, support them, when they call us to fight we fight with them.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm waiting for him to say that all the shit he said about mexicans and muslims was metaphorical and that he didn't mean it. (eye roll)

3. SrFrancium

I don't care, that mother fucker wants to "strengthen and expand" Americas nuclear capabilities.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never got the impression that he was against gay marriage. I only thought he might try to make it a state-by-state decision again.

5. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    Please, this doesn't reassure me in the slightest. No Donald Trump isn't the most homophobic politician in the world. But does he support LGBT people? No! If anything, he just doesn't hold passionate hatred towards the queer community. But the people he has elected most certainly do. The government will be entirely steered by conservatives in this administration who harbor anti-lgbt sentiment so I wouldn't be so ready to relax just yet.

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trump makes me physically ill.

7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is the best attitude to have. Clinton lost, and her supporters have to deal with it. That being said, they are terrified, because everyone is telling them that Trump is a racist, and a sexist. They just keep saying these things, and comparing him to Hitler. He might not be as bad as everyone is saying, and people need to learn not to instantly believe everything they hear. Problem is also that, when they do research and discover he isn't quite the second coming of Hitler, everyone takes the attitude of "How dare you?", so they are afraid of not being afaid. Well, everyone needs to chill. Trump has said some pretty crazy stuff, but he seems to have the interest of the country's safety in mind, even though we may not entirely agree with how he goes about it. Hilary lost, and all we can do now is continue to voice our opinions on the changes Trump will make. His unpopularity isn't exactly fair, it's just popular not to like him, we really should give him a chance.
    As for what you said about how he might make the country look bad, I'm not sure how that will go.

Anyway, to be somewhat on topic, I would like to add that I never got the impression that Trump himself was homophobic. The vice president, yeah, most likely, but not Trump himself, so I am not surprised that he doesn't care to change marriage laws. Thank god.

8. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have less concern about Trump on LGBT issues than most republicans because he is not a social conservative ideologue. That being said, he could make a very detrimental supreme court choice for the LGBT community, remains to be seen. I also have big concern about his VP choice and should Pence become president, that would be very bad news for the LGBT community.
    In some way, I think he picked Pence so that democrats wouldn't want to try and impeach him. lol

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Donald trump is great.

10. AlexTheGrey

I dunno. A lot of that unpopularity is due to the crazy things that came out of his mouth.

There's a few good things in his policy plan, but I'm left wondering at the end of the day because they weren't really pushed. Instead there was more discussion about isolationism, protectionism, building walls, etc. How important are those things in the Trump policy that I'd support? How will those pan out in comparison to the erosion of civil rights that either Trump is already willing to do, or will have cabinet and congress members trying to wheel and deal to get him to sign because they are more invested in it than he is?

Except his cabinet is almost across the board anti-LGBT. He picked Pence as VP despite disagreeing with him. He's not against letting the foxes into the henhouse here, so obviously it isn't high enough on his priorities to pick really anybody who agrees with him on that topic. Which leads me to his talk about deals. Is he invested enough in LGBT rights to say "no" if the Republicans say "We'll give you your infrastructure bill if you give us our RFRA expansions?"

If he doesn't care enough, that might look like a pretty good deal to get what he wants. And the thing is, I wouldn't bet money on him turning down a deal like that. He's got no skin the game. But I'm not sure the case is solid enough to bet money on him signing such a bill either. But with his inner circle, I am concerned.

I'll be on the lookout for the red flags, see if he overturns Obama's LGBT discrimination protections for federal hiring for example. But yeah, I'm not going to be claiming he's out for my rights (yet) until it starts happening.

But considering women's reproductive rights are another area I'm invested in, seeing him re-instate the foreign aid ban on NGOs that even discuss abortion is saddening, but completely expected from him, being a pro-lifer.

I will add though, there were plenty of folks talking about executive overreach, "coming for our guns" and the like about Obama. You'd think the sky was falling for the last 8 years then too. The women's march in particular is a very specific response to public statements of policy Trump has made. I'm not going to tell them to calm down, especially when Trump is starting to do the things he's said he's going to do that these people are afraid of him doing...

I will tip my hat to Trump if that is the case. That is master-level cover-your-ass cunning. :lol:

11. amomwhoknows

Re -- the thought that Trump picked Pence so he wouldn't be impeached is interesting.

However, for many in the party, Pence is immensely beatable and the most ambitious among them are hoping that Trump doesn't get his 4 years in.

If you have really paid attention the last two years, Trump himself doesn't really know what he stands for. He is likely passionate about a few things, and otherwise will be guided (or make deals) by those around him.

For example, the Mexico abortion thing he signed yesterday. Two plus years ago, I can almost guarantee you that Trump was pro-choice (we know he was a decade or so ago). He likely still is, or even more likely, doesn't care. But this was as easy thing for an advisor to pull off, because it doesn't affect American women at all, plus was likely a punishment for the March.

For anyone concerned about LGBT rights to put down their guard is making a mistake.

12. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Point taken, but I have a question for you. What about Clinton accepting money from nations who torture and kill LGBTQ individuals?

13. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goddammit can we not talk about Hillary Clinton? No one cares anymore xD

14. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

The things I've read here have showed me so much...especially how quickly members of the LGBT+ community are willing to forget the awful things this man has said when they come to the crazy notion that his policies no longer affect you. His hateful rhetoric towards muslims, women and Mexican-Americans is absolutely disgusting. I respect your opinion, and I know we will not agree on everything-but I also know that though I am not directly affected by his hateful rhetoric through my LGBTQ+ background I am affected as a person of color...I don't know how to say I'm scared-I am terrified. I am a politically active member of my community. Met with several members of congress, my school board, the (former) department of education secretary, my organization of students registered 150,000 new voters. With my background I have NEVER FELT HOPELESS. I have always had a plan and course of action. This time I don't. And it horrifies me to see that all the progress I have pushed for in my state, in my city, and my country will be rolled back by the incoming administration. My team has been fighting for two years to get a municipal ID in Phoenix, today there was a comittee hearing with the House of Representatives where a law is being handed to a senate committee for a hearing...which would withhold money from cities which pass new laws for municipal ID's...this was the most progressive policy ever passed in Arizona and already it's been rolled back-it benefited so many; the elderly, transgender men and women, the homeless population, and undocumented immigrants. I feel helpless and all I know is I have no intention of laying down and taking what the incoming administration has to throw at me, I'm going to fight back, by continuing to organize the members of my community who are not willing to put up with the hateful rhetoric perpetuated by the trump administration. So no I won't give him a chance. Actions speak louder than words and his actions suggest that he does not have the best interest of the people in mind-he has appointed people to positions of power, who have openly and adamantly fought to slow down progress which the LARGE MAJORITY of people in this country want (65,844,954 voters to trumps-62,979,879).

15. DontJudge

All these big crazy ideas that the parties have are just to gain support once the candidate is in the office things settle down

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you seen the news in the last 4 days? He's even causing some concern among Republican lawmakers with some of his executive orders and statements.

17. Cass1D

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think Trump himself really cares much about LGBT issues, but the people he's surrounded himself with and appointed to powerful positions, on the other hand...I'm not holding out any hopes for social progress on issues like workplace, housing discrimination, etc, because such issues tend to be described as "bad for business" and "against religious liberty" among conservative pundits.

18. TOM666

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He seems pragmatic about these things, he supposed North zcarilina's bathroom bill and sided with the transgender community but he didn't do this out of kindness but because of his business sense, as a businessmen he wants business from the LGBT community too because it helps his bottom line.

When it comes to gay marriage it doesn't matter what he thinks but what the person he appoints to the Supreme Court thinks.
    He promised to appoint someone like Justice Scalia who is as conservative as you can get.

And his selection of Mike Pence as his VP shows he has no problem working with homophobic people.

For the most part the issue has been decided it would take more than one arch-conservative justice to undue the gay marriage ruling.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, the fact his VP is pro-conversion therapy and signed against marriage equality and Ben Carson, the so-called neurosurgeon, thinks homosexuality is a disease says enough about his stance on the issues.

20. CyclingFan