1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would YOU do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Nov 12, 2016.

?

What would YOU do in this situation?

1. Grab weapon and answer without opening door

29 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. Casually open door and answer

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Ignore them

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. Call police

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Guff

I'd just ignore them. Maybe if I'm feeling up to it I'd get out of bed and look through a window to see who I'm ignoring. LOL But probably would be like whatever idiot who came at 3 AM just go already

2. I'm_Danni_x

I'd ignore them because if it was someone important they would probably have called me or message me to tell me they were coming. Then again, who would show up at 3am? In the UK we don't have possession of guns which is a good thing. Even the police don't, they only carry tasers and hand cuffs.

#22 I'm_Danni_x, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. Minx

A mix of things. I'd grab a bat, kept by my bed. And I'd promptly go back to sleep. :lol:

This happens a bit too often in an apartment complex. When people are too inebriated to find the correct door. :grin:

4. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a rural location, it would take 20 minutes MINIMUM for police to get here, so that is not an option.

It would also most likely be someone I knew but, I still need to be safe so, I would grab my sidearm and see who was here before opening the door.

5. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since my parents go outside on the porch a lot during the night, id think it would just be they locked the door on accident. But in this neighborhood, I wouldn't know for sure and I would just let them freeze outside.

6. killswitch0029

Grab a weapon. For all I know they could be trying to break in.

7. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just ignore them. Burglars don't knock... :roflmao:

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can see who's at the front door from my bedroom window, so I'd have a look and react accordingly. In most cases, I'd just ignore and carry on with my night.

9. timo

First I'd be surprised how they made it to my front door and how they opened the other doors in my building for which you need a key.

Then ignore them and continue sleeping.

10. Psaurus918

This!!

If anything I'd turn on the light and see if I know the person and if not I'd just yell and tell them to leave or I'm calling the cops

11. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    ignore it, if its truly important, they'll try again in the morning

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't really have my answer on there. I would ask who it is and what they wanted before opening. I wouldn't actually open it unless I was very sure of their motives.

13. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This actually happened when I was living with my ex boyfriend. He casually opened the door and it was one of our neighbors, a girl, who was very drunk and had lost her purse with keys and phone. We lived in a pretty safe area.

If it was only me then I would probably look out the window to try and determine if it's someone I know, or if they seem in trouble or are hurt. If not then I would probably go back to bed. I feel very safe where I live now as well. My roommate even leaves the door unlocked sometimes.

14. faustian1

Well this depends on where you live.

At 11:40 p.m. on a Friday night, a reporter knocked on the door at US Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Burger's residence. The reporter needed an answer to a question regarding the Watergate investigation, during the Nixon Administration.

Burger answered the door in a bathrobe. In his hand was a long-barreled, Ruger revolver. Just in case, I suppose. Here's a link that describes the incident: https://books.google.com/books?id=0...q=chief justice burger gun front door&f=false

In our case, it certainly won't be a reporter from the Washington Post. The last time this happened to me, it was a drunk who woke up disoriented after sleeping it off. No gun was required. He didn't know where he was. I summoned a police officer, who figured out who he was, and probably recommended that he cut down on drinking.

15. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone was knocking on the door at 3am (Or any other time, for that matter), then they jumped the fence to get into the yard, and that would definitely warrant a call to the police, or neighbourhood watch. Can't take any chances nowadays.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I was quite surprised by the frequency of that response. Obviously I can't speak for other people's experiences, but I do think it would be absolute overkill.

I'd have a peek outside and be reasonably cautious. Most burglaries and other related crimes, be they break-ins or trickery, don't happen at 3am - I would probably lean towards assuming someone needed urgent help.

As a fun aside, a friend of mine lives in a sharehouse where they would leave the backdoor unlocked as a matter of habit, until someone came in drunk off his tits around 4am, slept on the couch and came back the next afternoon with a box of chocolates as an apology, without which nobody would have realised he'd been there.

17. fulcrum

I live in a complex with human security guards at the gate 24hr, so I'd probably just open the door.

18. AlamoCity

It's called TEXAS. I know people young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, that own firearms for defense. It seems more prominent with native Texans than those who move in from other places (ahem... California). I remember very clearly my English Composition professor and I spoke at length one day and found out he was as hippie as they come, from Austin and whatnot, liberal, Mensa member, and a proud gun owner. You never know who's armed in Texas.

19. Garyroberts

Garyroberts Guest

I would look out of the bedroom window to see who it is. If it is someone I know then I'd answer the door, if I don't know them I would open the window and ask what they want.

This is if I can make myself heard over the dogs barking.

20. AngieT

AngieT Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    A couple of years ago I was up late, (online gaming) when I looked over and noticed the front door knob being "jiggled." Instinct had me grab the closest weapon available (Mossberg 12ga) then I dialed 911 and while on the phone with the emergency operator I screamed "touch that door again and I'll blow a hole through this door and you!" I then LOUDLY chambered a shotgun round, loud enough that it was clearly heard outside. The 911 operator freaked out and sent several cops within minutes, but all they ever found was a path through the snow where someone hastily ran for their life.