1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody else tired of being a millennial?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedEyeFlash, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Olle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out"

And yet I'm seeing a bunch of posts arguing against safe spaces and people misrepresenting them as if they only exist for people to hide from reality... hmmm :rolle:

2. ScatteredEarth

I thought millenials were people born post Y2K, hence the term millenials.

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here Is When Each Generation Begins and Ends, According to Facts - The Atlantic
    According to this article I found after a quick google search, millennials stretch from people born in 1982-2004. I've just stopped caring about the stereotypes people associate with millennials and more use it in sarcasm.

4. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    xD So glad I'm not a millennial, my generation actually still has a chance to prove itself :slight_smile:

5. ScatteredEarth

Well according to burai's article up there, you are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most research articles put me in 'Generation Z' I'm a little young to be a millennial as I was born nearly 2 years after Y2k

#26 galaxygia, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahaha, thank you!

You're all forgetting that this site is a safe space - why are you here exactly if you hate them so much?

8. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear ya. Older generations tend pin everything they dislike about millennials on you simply because you are one.

I don't take selfies. I NEVER use my phone when someone is talking to me. I'm 19, not rude. I don't ask for money. Not even for things I NEED like clothes or shoes. I'ld hold out till Christmas and ask for it then. I'm not lazy. I mow the lawn, wash the dishes, do the laundry, help make dinner, take out the trash, sweep, dust, wash the dogs, rake, stack firewood, help take care of my grandparents, tutor my little sister in math, etc. Without being asked, and I've never received an allowance. I don't feel I'm entitled to anything I haven't earned. In my house, I wasn't even entitled to an opinion until I turned 18. I'm not narcissistic. I'm actually the opposite. Heck, the only reason I didn't commit suicide is because I kept reminding myself that my family needs my help because I'm one of the few who can lift my wheelchair-bound grandmother. Never felt I needed technology. I'm not offended by jokes. And when I am offended, because someone said something truly offensive, I typically don't say anything. Don't try looking me up on Facebook, I don't have an account. EC is the closest thing to social media I'm on. I'm a poor conversationalist sometimes, sure, but I blame the fact that I was under-socialized as a child. Homeschooling, and mean church goers...

Lastly "safe spaces"... When I was a kid I used to hide in the closet to get away from my stepdad, my mom, dad, or older half brother. They found me anyway. There is no such thing as "safe spaces" as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, I'm bipolar just like my mom. I'm depressed, I have anxiety, an ED, I self-harm, I'm terrified of police officers due to a traumatic experience as a child, but I can't make the world stop just because it's getting too hard for me. And I wouldn't want it to. I WANT to fight my demons so I can come out on top and be proud of myself for once. I don't want life handed to me. I want to work for it to prove my worth.

This is just a very long way of saying, I'm an individual, NOT a generation. So, no, I'm not tired of being a millennial. I'm tired of people who can't see past the generation I was born in. The only thing I believe I deserve is a chance.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2016 at 02:47 AM ----------

It won't matter. People will still judge you for things you've never done because of stereotypes. Just wait, soon people will start complaining about "Generation Z" before you've even gotten the chance to start your own life, make your own choices, or have any impact on society whatsoever. I'm a millennial and I certainly never got the chance to prove myself, even though I don't fit that stereotype at all.

9. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    THIS SO MUCH. I've already agreed with someone else on this thread who said a similar thing. You people are ridiculing safe spaces IN a moderated safe space.

Someone here identifies as genderqueer by their profile, are you not aware that there are loads of people who would call you a "special snowflake" for that?

If you're unhappy that someone told you not to tell a potentially offensive joke, you are clearly not like-minded and probably wouldn't have gotten along in any case, so I can't see how it's a loss.

I'm not the kind of person who would tell you that you can't be offensive if you want to be. Go ahead, but then don't complain if people call you out on it. I agree the whole world can't be a safe space, the world is hard, true. That doesn't mean there should be NO safe places at all.

10. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well being young in general older generations will assume you have it so good and it many cases they're right. At the same time if you prefer Dolly Parton to Katy Perry that's just preference. I think we need to respect the fact that everyone is different opposed to making blanketed statements. Yes I love technology but I mainly look at political satire on my laptop. I actually spend more time reading than gaming. Prefer classic blues over modern pop. Many breeds to a dog I suppose.

11. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "special snowflake" thing. Where do you draw the line as to what constitutes as a special snowflake? Am I one because I identify as demi-bisexual? Would you rather I thought of myself as emotionally screwed up (like I did before I found the term) because I can't feel romantic or sexual things the same way most people can? Why does it matter how other people identify?

12. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Safe PLACE is vastly different to safe SPACE. Your home is or, should be a safe PLACE, that's a place where you can be confident that you will not be physically harmed by another and, that secrets shared there will not be repeated outside the PLACE- it's a physical location.

Safe SPACE, is refusing to face conflict, upsetting, offending or otherwise "triggering" discussions, events, words, etc.. ie - tuning off the TV or leaving the room because a murder is on the news or, running away because someone called you a "fag." going to a safe SPACE, to me is not confronting what upsets you, running form it, hiding from reality be that physically or, in your mind.

We get nowhere that way. Things don't change, everyone just ends up hiding from reality, not discussing what needs discussed, not calling it as they see it becasue when you do, the offended or upset just switch off and run away.

Well, I for one can't solve a problem with someone that won't discuss the problem with me because, OMG, it upsets them and they have to go to their safe SPACE instead of facing the problem. So you don't like it when I call the male "service person" in a cafe a waiter, or the "postal carrier" a mailman but, instead of telling me why that's so offensive to you, you clam up and space out - gone to your safe SPACE.

Okay so you don't like it, I don't like a lot of things in this world either but, that's no reason to clam up, shut down and, do nothing about it and, it's no reason for me not to say, do or discuss such things just because someone else might be offended or upset.

If I don't like something, it it upsets, offends, hurts or angers me, I DO something about it. I stand up for myself. Seems too many today refuse to deal with anything that isn't a fluffy bed of rose petals, then complain that they are oppressed, taken advantage of, ignored, not taken seriously, alone, etc....

We haven't gained the rights we have by going to safe SPACES, we gained them by facing the opposition, standing up to them and refusing to hide or be silent. We gained them my facing and, dealing with what upsets and offends us head on.

13. Joelouis

For some daft reason I was assuming this thread was all about Minnions.

My niece and nephews are constantly on their phones and tablets and will only grunt or tut if you dare disturb them. They only really communicate with others via text, FB and other electronic means. No social skills whatsoever.

It's an ongoing trend in that older people will moan about today's youth while forgetting they themselves were the focus of their elders' moanings when they were young.

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not at all. Maybe because I like taking pictures myself as well, I don't know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There are many things going on in the world, some of these things are interesting to me, some are definitely not. Just focus on the things you enjoy and you should be fine I think. =]

15. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be fair, it's not as drastic as people are making it sound. Nobody actually goes around with their phone glued to their face ALL the time.

Got to say, though, I really hate this trend of giving really young kids smartphones. The hell are they going to use them for? That is discouraging social interaction in my opinion, no kid needs a phone until they start high school.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll agree with this negative opinion actually. People have their whole lives to look at screens. Being a kid is the best time to run around outside and do crazy (but not stupid) stuff without consequences.

17. Psaurus918

Not at all. I rather be a millennial than a baby boomer. Also people being glued to their phones is not reflective of one generation. I constantly see people of ALL ages glued to their phones

18. Cranedweller12

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    i completely understand what you mean. I think being a millennial has its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand we will not put up with certain things that do not make us happy, just to do them, but we also need to make sure we are not being lazy, as I believe our generation can be.

19. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One thing I have noticed, is the way language is used is becoming more and more indirect.

George Carlin describes this extremely well. There are a few "choice" words in the video.

[YOUTUBE]vuEQixrBKCc[/YOUTUBE]

20. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's the problem. The second you go onto any website, even this one, you aren't in the safest space you could be in, which would be by yourself. If you cut off contact with everything and everyone then nothing can hurt you and no one can offend you. So the simple act of walking out your door or logging into a website is you voluntarily entering a world of other people. You are choosing to engage with people who you may or may not agree with and who may or may not offend you. You're taking a gamble.

To take it one step further, everyone on this site should want this site to eventually shut down or change its primary function as there would eventually be no more need of a place like this. Even though this site does good, it also perpetuates the idea that we are all weak and need "safe spaces" to run and hide in, even though this site is not as safe as just keeping to yourself.