1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News So, Trump, Huh? (What's the General Vibe about this?)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by warrior452, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not American but still not happy, first instinct was "How?!"
    But now the important thing is that hate doesn't take control

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't like Clinton or Trump. I voted for Jill Stein. But, I think Trump will be better than Clinton would have been, so I am satisfied that the least-worst candidate won.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Angry beyond words. How the fuck a bigoted, sexist, racist clown with no political experience won is frightening. Plus, his ignorant KKK loving followers have already assaulted gay people, muslims, people of color, and have left disgusting graffiti and acts of vandalism behind (like calling black people "monkeys" and the n word).

Seriously, fuck Trump and Pence.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not concerned too much about Trump but I am about Pence. I just hope nothing happens to Trump the next 4 to 8 years because if Pence did end up in office then we would have a problem.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good things: No war with Russia in foresight

Bad things: Pretty much everything else

However, I've heard that he removed some promises from his website, mostly regarding keeping out Muslims and getting out of the Paris act. That's already a bit reassuring.

6. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As of now , The Justice thats going to be replaced(scalia) was against gay marriage anyway . So in terms of supreme court rulings , I think that will be the same . I am watching Ginsberg and I hope she keeps on kicking in 2( senate race 2018 )-4 years .

Now with trump, I am afraid that he may be influenced by Pence ( just like bush - cheney) , but I would not know his policies or cry revolution until he actually goes into power.

Also the reason why hilary lost was A- votership was down and B - Did not speak for the working class democrats due to scandals and big business .

Overall : its going to be a bumpy ride , but there is going to be smooth pavement at the end of the road.

7. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

why are the most insightful posts on american politics coming from internationals?

why does the canadian have the best post amongst all these post over days from americans?

8. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the most worry for those in the muslim community and in the latino community, who will probably have it the worst these next four years. As a women I will probably have to worry a lot about how Trump will empower the fascists in this country even more. I think the solution to this though (if you can really call it a solution because we still have to wait for years for a new, actually qualified president) is to unite, come together, rebuild the feminist movement, and grow stronger, and find a way to fight back against this oppression.
    Also, I'm thinking about going to law school. That way, I can make a difference in society more directly.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is such a facile and short-sighted statement. Trump's victory is implicit permission for Russia to become the largest external actor in the Middle East and forces the only major pro-democratic in the Syrian conflict to become France and Britain. That is, if he does align himself with Russia as he has said - it's very hard to trust that those past statements are in any way accurate.

Add on top of that the weakening of confidence in NATO, Russia's bolstered belief that the Kremlin can continue to interfere in Western elections and the abandonment of the doctrine of a responsibility to protect from the world's only superpower and you have a recipe for longer-term conflict and a steady disintegration of a peaceful, liberal-democratic world order. And once America lets its position slip by withdrawing from the world, it will not be probable or easy for it to return to its current power.

So no, you won't have as much tension in the next four years, but I hope you're happy with the return of brutal, unprincipled realpolitik in the coming decades as America willingly surrenders its global position.

It's also a goodbye to gender equality and LGBT advocacy as key planks of US foreign policy. If Europe and South America can't fill that advocacy vacuum internationally, sexist and homophobic nations will.

#29 Aussie792, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  10. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think he's removing things from his website because if there's one thing that the evil orange pumpkin likes its being unpredictable. He will literally say that he will do one thing, then say that he will do the opposite of that. This way, whatever he does, he can go back and say that he said he would do it.

The only silver lining of this cloud is that Hillary won the popular vote. So, although our government renders us powerless, we, will not allow ourselves to stop fighting for what is right.

11. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

interesting. So we need to step up international LGBT support, and efforts at international unity, activism, and advocacy

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disturbing. America elected Biff to be president. I didn't like Machiavelli at all either, but at least she was actually qualified for the job.

#32 Browncoat, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a really good point. On a global level, LGBTQ+ rights are not advanced at all. The U.S was setting an example when Obama was president and he supported marriage equality and we got it passed. Now though, the nation with one of the strongest militaries is sending a message that they don't support women and minorities right when we are in the middle of huge conflicts globally regarding those rights.

We have until January to live in this country the way it is when it's progressive. I think we should make the most of this time. I'm thinking about moving, but I'm not sure which country would be the best choice. I would definitely move to Germany or France if I spoke the language.

14. photoguy93

I had clinical Wednesday night and it was just a bad night! I think that even though many in my area did vote for him, there is a bad vibe. Maybe I was too happy to care back in 08 when Obama won, but I do not remember this feeling. It's like the world turned gray and we just need a bigly hhhuuuggggeeeeee hug.... :wink:

Seriously, thouhg, it is very scary. Again, Trump is Trump. I'm not super worried. But I am worried about who will be a part of his administration. I kind of see it like he's been the puppet and will get all these crazies into the administration who will totally ruin everything that's been done.

The one bright spot is I can look at the map and maybe find a new place to live. I'm in Indiana and it's alllllll Republican here - definitely thinking long and hard about plans after graduation!

15. dreamcatcher

This man is a con artist. He has scammed the American people into believing this bullshit dream about making "America great again". He has said nothing of substance throughout any of his debates, spread numerous lies and yet the people voted for him because he isn't "PC" and tells it like it is. The American People acted like a bunch of whiny teenagers by voting for a bigoted piece of shit simply because they didn't want to follow the "status quo" again.

But to be honest, I'm not mad at Donald Trump. He's an opportunist. He saw a chance, created this whole charade, and took advantage of it. Donald Trump is merely a symptom of the problems that we have in American culture: misogyny, racism, nationalism, military worship, consumerism, etc... Who I am mad at the most are the American people. I don't care that the American people are tired of the same ole government. By electing Donald Trump, they have proven that they care less about the well being of minorities around the country than they do about themselves. They have proven that they don't give a shit about what happens to others as long as they're making money and bullying other nations around the world. Donald Trump is the physical representation of all that is wrong with our nation. And if we get fucked over by this presidency, then we will have gotten what we deserved.

16. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah. You still don't understand what is happening in America. Currently or historically. You just don't like Trump. Which, hey, don't like him. Whatever. You can like who you want to. That doesn't mean you understand what is happening here.

17. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm incredibly upset, but even more concerned about Pence. Trump may be a loose cannon, but Pence is incredibly anti-LGBT and I'm scared to death Trump will sign off on anything he proposes.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the fact that none of the post you quoted was about life within America, I'm not sure I'm very convinced by you in particular accusing me of not understanding, well, any topic, really.

Yes, I certainly have a relatively elite and liberal view of the world. I think I'm certainly in touch emotionally and intellectually with the majority of American voters, even if I don't have a comparable lived experience to many. But that does not make me utterly unable to comprehend ideas that don't agree with me, which is of course quite a rich accusation given where it's coming from.

I sure as hell know American history on the international stage and understand enough domestically to put my opinion forward. There are many faults I've been rightfully accused of, but ignorance is not often one of them. If you could substantively tell me what is wrong with what I say rather than merely asserting that everything I say is wrong, I really would be so much more inclined to give value to your words.

19. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm disturbed about the power that the uninformed voter can have over the result of an election. I'm also disturbed by all of the people that voted for him knowing well and good every wrong he's ever done and all he stands for.

20. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How can I convince someone who isn't particularly reasonable of anything? It seems to me that being reasonable is a necessary prerequisite to being convinced. That of course doesn't mean that you are entirely unreasonable, as I doubt you think the sky is polka dotted and made of chocolate, but beyond that I haven't seen a demonstration that your capable or willing to consider certain concepts or change your mind because you've been presented with a rational and convincing argument and/or facts/truth.

And yeah, I question why you comment so much on American politics when Australia has its own huge problems. Restrictive gun laws and a rise in violence, socialized medicine, and a looming housing crash to name a few. Maybe you should worry about your own home and not so much about mine? That again also seems to be the reasonable thing to do, right?