1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our New POTUS - Support and Advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rachelmk, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Rachelmk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like this to be a thread to talk about the emotions we as a community may be facing as a result of America's election. I've been anxious and terrified all day, and I would really like to talk to people about it. If anyone knows more about the federal government and the extent of the President's ability and would like to offer reassurance, please do it would be incredibly welcome.

I know that, as of right now, the marriage rights of LGBTQ individuals is protected. The five judges that determined the ruling are alive and at this point in time have no word about when they'll retire. So I feel good about that. But other than that I'm very anxious. Anyone else have thoughts?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if hate crimes will go up.
    I just have a very bad feeling about the upcoming years.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because of Hitler Jr over here, hate crimes towards Muslims has apparently spiked 89%.

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really know how far the President can go on their own beliefs, as far as decisions go. But, in my honest opinion, I don't think much will happen. The reason is because I know many, MANY Republicans/Conservatives who are more tolerant of the LGBT community. I actually know of more African American Democrats who are anti-LGBT. I was shocked about that... :/ But, I do live in the South, so pretty much everything (especially the weather) is unpredictable.

5. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First I was shocked that my country was still so backwards thinking, then angry that I even have to call myself a 'Murican. Now it's time to do all I can.

I own my rural home, it's safe from any hate that may come and, I can defend it, and anyone here if need be. I've got a car, I'm withing 6 hours or less of 3 major airports and, I'm a part of a so far small but growing group willing to offer shelter to any LGBTQ seeking to leave the country. We've got places people can go and find a welcoming couch and, help getting on their feet again.

We all hope it won't be needed but, better to get the network in place now, in case it is needed. I know too well how people can be and, I don't want to see any more of us submitted to conversion therapy, or the same sort of thing only, in their own homes, from their own families.

The Trump/Pense win send the message that that, and other forms of discrimination and abuse against us are okay and, that's just plain wrong. I can't change how America voted, but if I can do one small thing to help save just one of us, I'll do it without reservation.

6. alexidsa

alexidsa Guest

As a Bernie supporter I feel horrible. It would have never happened if they did not cheated primaries towards Hillary...

7. Solid Snake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Funny how most of Trump's supporters are people who voted for Obama in 2008, but CNN doesn't want you to know that. That would hurt the narrative that people voted for Trump because of "whitelash".

Instead of assuming Trump and his supporters are racist because the mainstream media said so, why don't you listen to at what Trump supporters have to say for a change?
    I can guarantee you that the Clinton News Network wouldn't have wanted you to hear this.
    [YOUTUBE]fDnz2ykeJkM[/YOUTUBE]

TLDR; Trump's presidency isn't going to cause a rise in bigotry.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just blatantly false. Most Trump supporters did not vote for Obama in 2008. A sufficient number of white Obama supporters in crucial states defected to vote for Trump along with most traditionally Republican voters.

And not every Trump supporter is evil. But those supporters crying "lock her up", "build the wall" and the rest who ignored the brutal misogyny and disregard for women, dismissiveness toward the disabled and the cheap capitalisation on anti-Latino and Islamophobic sentiments do hold moral responsibility and are people we must hold to account - civilly and democratically.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, everyone who voted or supported Trump should be treated all the same, because they knew what kind of a person he is and how disgustingly unprofessional his """politics""" are, and they still voted for him anyway. At the end of the day, they're just as bad as the literal Nazis who vandalized shops in Philly with swastikas and hate speech--even if they aren't outwardly showing it.

10. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Everyone had their reasons for voting. I loathe Trump but I feel that a large part of why he got elected was because of the kind of people who support him felt dismissed and unheard.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe that every Trump voter is a horrible neo-Nazi. In the UK and presumably the US, there is a large population of people who are disengaged with politics, concerned over things like immigration and frustrated with dismissal by the government. Maybe people voted for him because they saw him as an alternative to Clinton, whom many feel is corrupt and a criminal.

I'm a Brit, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I think you would be best to respect the result and try to come together as much as you can under a divisive President. Calling each other Nazi scumbags isn't going to help anything.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something similar happened/is happening in the UK. The same for the Netherlands and other countries (e.g. France). I agree with you, calling each other names will not help. Some more empathy/respect from both sides is a good idea I think, how hard as it may be.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A woman in Philadelphia was chased by two Trump supporters yelling "Burn in hell you Arab!" She told the blogger that wrote the story that it was by far not the first time.

Gay man has ‘head smashed open’ by ‘celebrating Trump supporters’ on election night · PinkNews

Yesterday it was reported that someone screamed "Heil Hitler, you fucking Jew" at a 15-year-old boy who was waiting for the school bus in San Diego.

This past summer, Trump supporters beat a homeless man within an inch of his life with a metal pipe because he was Hispanic. The entire time, they taunted him saying "Trump was right, you people should be deported!"

Just today, a cell phone video was released showing students in the cafeteria at Royal Oak Middle School here in Michigan chanting "Build that wall" at a Mexican student.

At San Jose State University, a campus-wide emergency alert notification was sent out after a man ripped the Hijab off of a Muslim woman and tried to choke her.

The list goes on and on.

#13 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They already have.

Also as a sidenote: I'm 100% seriously looking into moving to Canada. Seeing that I'll have to move to North America for a good job anyways, what difference does it make? America has gotten so corrupt and so right wing with politics to the point of no return. There's no strong progressive movement with actual power in America now. The fact that we have a vice president elect who supports the torture of LGBT individuals leaves me feeling shitless in America. I say this as someone who lives in a "liberal bubble". The last time we had a republican house, senate and president, what followed was the great depression.

Canada is beautiful, supports multiculturalism, bans guns, low crime rates, and is actually secular. From what I see, they don't allow corruption and their parliament would never elect an openly fascist to the office of PM. I've lost all faith and hope in America. The only thing that would fix the American political system is for a true revolution which includes abolishing the electoral college, mandating that district lines are drawn by a bipartisan committee, restoring the voter rights act, and publicly financing elections. Seeing that I don't see this happening as the powerful benefit by this system, I am seriously considering moving to Canada.

#14 Geek, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can I join? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Tired of this country honestly.

16. A Republican

A Republican Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to move as well.

To America :grin:

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What place? San Fran? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

America has some very nice spots, honestly. I can see why you'd like to go there. Though Italy is beautiful too. =]

18. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

Yes please I can't stress this enough. So much divisiveness it sounds like the 60's.

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why? So you can get your head bashed in by a Trump supporter?