1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Childhood Friendships

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Cinnamon Bunny, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all :slight_smile: I discovered pretty late in life, 30, that I experience same-sex attraction. There was some really heavy denial that kept me from really identifying or experiencing that attraction. I'm still confused about things, but I had a somewhat random question I wanted to ask.

I moved around a lot, so friends were very important to me. Growing up I was very idealistic about best friends. I wanted these friendships to be meaningful and last "forever" as a kid. One of my biggest desires was to find a "true friend" though I was often left disappointed. I'd put so much effort and care into these friendships. I was always heart broken when the friendships fell apart. I didn't understand why they didn't care as much as I did. Most of my best friends were girls too. Not sure if my idealism was from watching too much TV, a personality trait, or if it was a reflection of my true feelings.

I was wondering if this is common among the LGBT community. Especially if you grew up in a home/culture that didn't acknowledge/accept same sex relationships.

2. nbd

nbd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely. I'm in my 30s and have only started questioning. Repressed childhood, zero exposure to the lgbt community, etc etc.

I also moved a lot and was always seeking a best friend. I would become rather attached to my friend of the year and we would invariably have a huge falling out when I became too possessive and they tired of me. For so long I thought that I was just an awful friend. However, looking back I think there was an element of attraction that I wasn't yet ready to acknowledge.

3. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow... you sound so much like me nbd. I'd always have best friend for every new place I lived (every 1-2 years). If the friendship didn't peacefully fade out from distance, I find they get "tired" of me or conveniently too busy :confused: I thought I was a good friend, but ...it was like I wasn't capable of long-lasting relationships. There have been a few exceptions, but this was on-going theme in my life. After awhile, I kept myself emotionally distant in friendships.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going to throw a theory out. Maybe your subconscious you was really looking for a partner.

Me. Now that I know I am gay, no doubt about it, looking back I made friends with the subconscious me really wanting a partner. But I was unaware the subconscious me was doing this.

Deep deep down I wanted to love, to hug, to touch. To much shame to get that so I went for the next best thing. Close friendship.

Comments?

#4 brainwashed, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. fulcrum

Ya, I think when your emotions are suppressed like with closeted gays, it can maybe influence what you want out of a friendship?? I dont know. Thinking back to my childhood,I think I missed out of a lot of good friendships because I subconsciously closed up every time a guy was just friendly with me. Fearing that it would 'expose' me somehow through a slip up. And it was automatic. There were many guys that I wasnt attracted to that elicited that reaction in me.