1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do answer are you gay question if still in closet

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Shasta, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I suspect someone knows that I am questioning and I'm not ready to come out. How do I answer this question. How do I imply I don't appreciate being asked with out being rude. Is t responding with why are you, a mean response. Or does it put the ball back in their court?

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you want to remain quiet about your sexuality, seem convincing in your answer and not start an argument or furhter conversation, you have to just say a straight and confident "No". It may be lying but if you try to say any more than that your just going to arouse suspicion, or just trip yourself up with words. Keep it simple.

I find this to be a very difficult question to answer but I know the onky two useful ways to answer it are 1. If you trust the person and think they will support you, be honest about your thought about your own sexuality and explain if you dont have a label right now 2. If you would rather not talk about it with this person, just say "no", calmly but firmly

#2 SHACH, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who suspects probably already knows. One of the most difficult things to get your hands around is the idea that when you're gay and closeted, nearly everyone with any sort of good gaydar already knows... you aren't fooling anyone. And the more you try to fool people, the more obvious you are, at least for those who know what to look for.

So... the reality is, there really isn't a good answer. If you tapdance, they will likely know you're tapdancing. If you lie, they'll likely know you're lying. That said, there's nothing wrong with simply saying you aren't, if you aren't ready. You could also say "I'm not sure, it's something I'm thinking a lot about" which might be closer to honest, but will likely have the effect of affirming.

It really depends what you're comfortable doing.

4. ForeverDaisy

I actually had this situation come up recently. Out of all people it was my hair dresser who brought it up and it caught me quite off guard. I'm still in the closet myself so the best answer I could think of on the spot was that I liked to think of myself as a person whose open to anything. It was a bit of lie but it also felt like an honest response in the moment. With that, I do trust her to keep that conversation between us and I know she cares about my well-being.

I would assume the same applies to your friend. Even if you don't want to the full conversation now, I'm sure your friend just wants you to know that they're there for you if you ever do want to talk. Good luck!

5. faustian1

There always are the old standbys,

A: "I'll never tell..." (inspiration for delivery can be found in the lines of numerous 1930-1960 movie actresses)

or

A: "Are you interested?" or "Is that an offer?" (exceedingly effective, if the questioner is straight)

Other candidates include, "For some reason a lot of people are asking me that lately," or in the present political environment, "What? Are you thinking I'm a Republican?" or, "My last girlfriend was Mrs. Doubtfire."

As Chip wrote, they may still have that gaydar locked on, but if delivered correctly they won't quite know what to do with you.

#5 faustian1, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    This person knows I like them because I came up people you may know. I kept looking at thier profiles and which made me come up in pymk. I heard if lurk on someone's profile it will pop up their pymk. I logged out and looked that way and I still came up. So they know I have been looking at them. I was using their number.

I suspect this person may be gay their is something about them that I can't put my finger on. Also first I didn't like this person something about them just erked me and I resented them. Every once in awhile I will meet someone who knows I'm into girls no matter how hard I try to hide it. That being said this person probably knew I liked them before I did.

I don't trust this person because I don't know them and I don't know what they are
    capable of. I have one person who wants to do bad to me and I don't need another one to be worried about.

So if this person asks me I will say no, but be hard to keep my composure because they know how to riffle my feathers

7. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The only time I've legitimately been asked if I was gay was by a truck driver while we were unloading freight at the retail store I work in. He was talking to my coworker who everyone says looks like my brother. My coworker was gay, and somehow the topic of dating was brought up, so my coworker let him know he had a boyfriend. Then he asked if I was gay. Internally I was freaking out, but I firmly said "no". He believed me.

I've never been asked by someone closer to me if I'm gay. And really if the right person asked me in the right setting, I'd love that. I want to come out, I'm just terrible at initiating anything slightly difficult, so this is a real challenge for me.

8. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been talking to this guy on a dating app so I guess if the question comes up I can say I'm interested in someone.

9. SystemGlitch

If there's someone I don't want to come out to, I laugh and say "why, you interested?" or "looking to hook me up with someone?" depending on the gender of the one asking. They normally fumble and say something along the lines of "no, I was just wondering" and my response to that is just "if I was gay you'd know it by now". It's not entirely lying for me since I'm not gay, but yeah. Play it off casual, don't try to over-deny it. A joking answer is best because it suggests that the question doesn't mean much to you, though if they persist you can switch to being more firm and saying "no, I've already told you".

10. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    WHO wants to know besides you? A favorite saying of my great grandfather

11. Cinis

Cinis Guest

This. Denying to answer the question makes them think you are actually gay or whatever else more than any answer you could have given.
    I personally always answered with" My one true love is Batman. Obviously."

If you are still questioning then it is also completely fine to answer with" I don't know yet."