1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Health

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boxinggirl87, Oct 31, 2016.

1. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm far from a stranger of the affects of mental health, especially when gone untreated. My mom struggled with depression most of her life but refused to get help because everyone else was the problem. My dad was diagnosed bi polar and a few months after that took his own life. My brother went down a similar path as our parents. He idolized our dad and had a lot of scares but eventually turned his thinking like our mom and blamed everyone else for his issues. My half sister even struggled but when the medication she was on (same one our dad had been on) started making her act weird, she stopped trying altogether.

Cut to me. I've dealt with depression all of my life along with anxiety. I was like most people afraid of medication or the stigma that would be placed on me for having a mental illness. As I got older, the worse things got. It really did a number on my relationship (one which didn't make it through the rough patch). The only reason I went to see a doctor in the first place was because I was tired of the strain it was putting on the relationship.

As some of you may know, medication is a trial and error type thing. The first kind I was put on, was the wrong kind. My now ex broke up with me because like most people she can't see that mental illness is an issue not the person. There had been several times I hit really low and even at one point had to be hospitalized. I had another bad episode a few weeks ago, made an earlier appointment with my doctor not only because of how bad the depression was getting but I was having nearly daily panic attacks for no reason that I could see. He finally put me on anxiety meds along with upping my anti depressants. I really wish I had the anxiety meds a long time ago because if this is what normal people feel like most days, I've been missing out.

One I really just wanted to be able to say that. But two, to let other people know that not all hope is ever lost.

2. Thirteenly

Thirteenly Guest

I'm struggling with this too, I have mental health issues in my family and when I opened up to my mom, she mocked me. My dad has ignored and mocked me, too. I'm an adult, but I just feel very stuck and without support, I don't know what to do.

3. Sealgirl19

I'm currently struggling with Major depression and the first two meds I tried made me feel worse. The second one increased my depression to the point of where I wanted to end my life. So right now I'm trying to stay clear of pills. Right now I'm just trying my hardest to keep busy and I see a therapist weekly but it's still though. I lost my last relationship due to depression and my life has been spiraling out of control sense then. I've gotten to the point of where I hated myself and I thought I was a monster for a bit but I'm slowly getting myself back into control. I'm not saying meds are helpful but I do not have the patience for them.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I swear, finding the right meds is like trying to find Atlantis sometimes. I think I've been on over twenty different antidepressants and antianxiety medications since I was sixteen or so. I still have my shitty days, but I'm not in constant suicidal ideation mode like how I was years ago.

I'm glad you got the help you need, and I wish you the best :slight_smile:

#4 Daydreamer1, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be rather frustrating when you are struggling to find the right mix for you and others don't understand. I'm still searching and I know it's just a trail and error thing but my doctor is also staying away from anything that others in my family struggled with.

It's also hard when people don't get it. When they think oh well everyone has a bad day you just shrug it off. If it were that easy then i wouldn't need to be told that. But I also hate that moment when others expect you to accommodate to their moods when they don't bother for you.

The last time I was on the edge of suicide I tried telling two friends. One got mad and said she didn't want to hear that shit. And the other although tried to talk me out of it ended up just telling me she would be there with me till the end. I still tear up over both responses

6. fluffhead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. Personally I'm scared to ever talk again. In high school some lady tried to have me locked up. I was as sincere and honest as possible as I thought it would help. Now my trust for doctors really isn't there. On the plus I'm over twice the age of the first time I came close to killing myself. I've found ways around things and been able to string together some kind of a life.

As the moment simply in the pursuit of happiness. My goal is pretty much just to do everything I can, meet people, travel, and live as best I can. If my time comes I want to have lived in a manner I'm both proud and satisfied with.

I have thought of seeking treatment though. It's a tough thought considering how (can you swear on this forum?) over I got in the past.

Anyway I'm just trying to enjoy the good times and survive the bad right now. It's worked for a while so we'll see what happens in the future.

Best of luck OP

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Living with mental illness is very hard and it can take a long time to find the best fit with medication, and when nothing seems to work for us we can become more upset and depressed about life, but it is worth persevering. It may feel like a battle you are destined to lose, but it's really not the case.

It's very important to remain open and talk about how you are feeling. It may not deliver a magic fix to your mood, but it does help to release the pressure and clear some precious head space. One of the worst aspects to mental ill health is the pressure it places on your mind with circling and damaging thoughts and when all of that remains locked up inside it's hard to cope. So do resist the temptation to blame and lash out and try to engage with people who care.

With the right meds and good support, you can get through it.

8. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    can attest; finding the right meds sucksssss

9. BroadSpectrum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thats exactly what happens to me. Meds are worse than the illness

10. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been taking Prozac and it's the medication that has helped me the most, but it took me years to get to this med. I've tried several other meds and even though they helped me too, none of them helped me as much as Prozac. Now I go days without thinking about killing myself and with the other meds, I thought about it daily.

Maybe the ones here who said that medication is worse than the disease itself haven't found the right meds? But I don't know if there is the right medication for everyone, maybe some people would be better off without any meds. I don't know.

Today, I'm feeling like ending my life. I hadn't felt like that in weeks. Prozac really works for me.

I just wanted to say that maybe you guys could try meds that work on a different part of the brain. They don't all work on the same parts. If you're feeling depressed, you could keep trying different medications; it worked for me. Not that I'm all better, but I am better than before.