1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Pride?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NetflixAndKill, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree with Chiroptera. I think that everyone should have the right to be proud of who they are, but sadly "straight pride" is going to attract an ugly homophobic contingent. Personally, in the future, I'd like to see a parade that celebrated the diversity of everyone, no matter their sexuality, gender or ethnicity. But we do have Pride, and to those straight people who feel left out - I say come join in! Straight people will be embraced in any Pride celebration.

I wish I could say the same for LGBT people that turned up to a "Straight Pride" event, but I think that's unrealistic. :frowning2:

3. eMei

You clearly don't understand what Pride is all about.

There is no need for straight pride. Straight people have never been discriminated against. Fact. For a lot of the LGBT community, Pride is the only place in which they can truly be themselves and feel safe around people of whom they know will not judge them for being who they are. Discrimination and violence against the LGBT community is still highly prevalent - in some places crimes against the trans community are on the up. Pride is our way of fighting this without the need to extend to violence. When straight people need to show solidarity against a horrific crime against one of their own, you be sure to message me.

Well, you can feel free to be marginalised by the majority... not that straight people even want pride events in the first place. Just don't involve me in that, thanks.

#23 eMei, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's ridiculous in my opinion.
    Straight people are the majority.
    Lgbt pride is a way to show people that we exist and are human beings just like them and that we are not ashamed of being lgbt.

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. iiimee

This.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@eMei: Nope, that is your definiton. Since when does pride require a qualification?
    Actually if you say, you can't be proud because you're white, straight and middle class you discriminate against them. Check your maslow pyramid. Most of us are safe so the core desire of most people is respect. So this is not just a little of the usual complaining.

8. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think of "straight pride" the same way I think of "all lives matter." No one is doubting that white lives matter. The point of the Black Lives Matter movement is to emphasize that the lives of people of color matter as well. Similarly, no one is doubting that straight people should be confident in their identity as straight people. Queer people have often been taught that their queerness is something to be ashamed of, and that is why LGBTQ+ pride should be emphasized.

9. NetflixAndKill

Personally, I completely agree with everyone who is against the idea of straight pride. We have our rights, whereas much of the LGBTQ+ community is still fighting for their's. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with a straight person expressing simple pride or comfort in their identity. I know a lot of straight people who have gone through long, difficult questioning phases and found great relief when they realized they were simply straight. It's not like I support the idea of straight pride parades, but I don't think there's anything wrong with, say, sporting a hetero pride flag. There's a feminist quote that I think applies to this as well: "I'll respect your opinion so long as it doesn't disrespect anybody's existence".

10. eMei

You're wrong. :eusa_clap

11. Linkmaste

Maybe one day we can have a general pride that celebrates all sexuality and gender identities.

What I don't want to see and what I will forever think is digusting is lgbtq people bashing our Allies. That is not cool.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pride events are fundamentally about bucking negative beliefs regarding those marching. LGBT pride originated as an act of resistance and continues as an affirmation of social acceptance in the context of that history.

Straight pride, then, is purposeless. It has no self-evident reason to exist. So that leads to us having to conclude that, if it can't serve the same function as LGBT pride, it's about something else.

It's geared around spitefully opposing LGBT pride and trying to delegitimise LGBT people by trivialising those events and decontextualising LGBT history and the current social realities we live in.

At best, straight pride is pointless. As it's intended, it's malicious but thankfully largely unsuccessful in the public sphere because of how evidently spiteful it is.

13. Thirteenly

Thirteenly Guest

UGHHHHHHH they are just people who want to feel ~special~ when being LGBT is no cakewalk. They want the inclusion, they don't want to deal with the homophobia; they feel like being an ally isn't good enough so they have to co-opt lgbt/queer and, no offense, take something away.

14. 0Marionette0

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally don't think the ideology alone is discriminatory at all. I just dont really find it necessary but they aren't doing any wrong. :icon_bigg

15. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And that is a completely acceptable stance. You don't see the point, but you respect the right that they have to throw such an event.

I would go to a straight pride rally as an ally... Some of us have to keep the whole heterosexual society from thinking that we (LGBT+ people) all hate them and don't believe they should be able to have pride in their orientation.

Plus, I could actually go to a pride rally without being disgusted by the lack of discretion part of the LGBT community shows for once. It does not look good to see a parade with people in leather ass-less chaps and whips in public regardless of orientation. Keep your kinky :***: at home where it belongs. Its called discretion and common courtesy that normal people don't want to see that... We are not the :***: village people so why does that niche part of our community get over-represented in parades? (Every pride event I've been to)

16. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@TXTurbo:
    Yes, precisely. We haven't done shit for being LGBT. We're not special. You are special if you accomplished something. We are different. Like attached vs unattached earlobes. Left handed vs right handed. Sometimes I feel like it's all about revenge and gaining profit out of being born different which is sad.

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't mind "straight pride" if it didn't seem to me as if it is inherently disingenuous.

"Straight pride" doesn't seem to form because straight people feel proud of who they are, it forms because straight people who are vexed by LGBT pride want to "show up" LGBT pride. It's spiteful, the motives are disingenuous, and as others have said, for some, it is probably a vehicle for homophobia.

In its pure form, "straight pride" could be no different than LGBT pride, but even then, if LGBT pride is about standing up in the face of discrimination for being LGBT, then straight pride will never be equal to LGBT pride.

18. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By that logic, you can't take pride in following laws/not being a criminal/not being a rapist/not being homophobic either. You don't catch crap for not breaking the law, or for not being homophobic, and you will be a part of the majority... So you shouldn't be able to march for compliance of our laws and a peaceful society as the majority of people support not being a criminal?

See how that argument can be easily proven to be invalid? We as a community need to realize that thought process is going to get us nowhere. Its like people don't realize every type of diversity includes a majority, and they are a part of what makes up the diversity of said group. (In real life, not hypothetical equal numbers of each group for those who want to point out it is technically possible)

#38 TXTurbo90, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  19. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TXTurbo, you seem to be equating those who question the motives of "straight pride" with "they shouldn't be allowed to do it". Few people are actually claiming that straight pride should be illegal or shouldn't be permitted in some way. They are expressing valid concerns about the motives for straight pride. As I said in my response, is it purely an expression of pride in this particular facet of your individuality? Or is it a reaction to gay pride? If the latter, then there is cause to believe it to be ridiculous. And believing straight pride to be ridiculous is not the same as believing it shouldn't be allowed.

20. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@ Libertino: I believe it's not that important either, but shouldn't be prohibited either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.