1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Pride?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NetflixAndKill, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetflixAndKill

I was curious about what people think of the term "straight pride" or anything related to it. Thoughts?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I feel like most of the time I hear it is when people are just joking about it, but I think there are probably some people out there who feel there should be "straight pride parades" and the like. I think it's annoying and kind of ridiculous. Straight people already have pride, it's called automatic societal acceptance.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2016 at 11:42 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]hJHrtKnqPfU[/YOUTUBE]

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's mainly a reactionary thing, basically the people who have "straight pride" are being completely ignorant about the entire purpose of regular LGBT pride/pride parades. I find it really annoying anytime it pops up which luckily hasn't been often for me.

4. KevinDutch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even really open minded friends of mine where bitching about it as in there should be something for us as well. Like it's retarded the pride in the netherlands is a celebration now but it ised to be sortoff a protest for equal rights. Same as feminism since there was a huge difference back in the day as well compared to now in this country. The reason why the pride and feminism are still really something is for us to support other countries that are less open minded in these things yet. Ofcourse there are always still some cultural things and different oppinions but at least in the Netherlands everything is equal. Even girls should join the military when a war would occur or something.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be ok with it if it was about equality (it would still be stupid because straight people do not suffer because of their orientation, but it would be ok).

However, these events are used to directly attack the LGBT community. They arent about "look, we are all equal and deserve respect!". They are about "these gay people have too many rights, they can have events asking for rights and we want this too, because people give them too much attention!"

Like some already said above, it is a reactionary thing, and it is simply ridiculous. LGBT pride, to me, isn't about just being proud of who you are because of who you are. It is being proud of who you are in a world full of prejudice, that requires constant fighting for our right to live as anyone else without being judged.

Straight people don't need to fight for rights regarding orientation. It makes no sense to be proud of something you don't need to fight for.

In resume and repeating: If these events didn't attack us, then i would be ok with them. However, this isn't the case.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're used to attack LGBT people by homophobes, which is why I don't care for it.

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of silly, but I don't have a problem with it as long as they're not anti-LGBT

8. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I find a straight person who has grown up in a society that pushes deeply held shame onto young (and old) LGBT people who struggle with their sexuality and or gender identity there will be a place for 'straight pride'.

When someone asking for straight pride understands why we call LGBT pride, pride, they will understand why straight pride is not possible.

When they understand that the opposite of shame is pride, they will understand that without the shame that we go through, there is no place for 'straight pride'.

For those of you struggling with shame, remember that society has put you through this, and that being who you are and being PROUD of who you are essential. Keep reading, learning and watching YouTube videos and get rid of the shame! There is also a very good video on shame on TED. <<https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame?language=en>>

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

If they are not anti, they should have it. Seriously I can't understand the angry ones around here. Are we in a war with the non-LGBTs and I didn't notice or what?

10. eMei

Yes. It's called the fight for acceptance and equality - straight pride undermines all of that. It's like having white marches.

11. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly my thoughts. EVERYONE SHOULD BE PROUD OF WHO THEY ARE WHETHER THEY ARE STRAIGHT, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANS, ETC. If they want to have a pride rally, then let them. As a minority group, the last thing that we need to be doing in shitting on the majority without reason.

What makes so many in our community think that they have a monopoly on showing pride for who they are? This is the exact "special snowflake" attitude that makes others hate our community. To be honest, a significant amount of the LGBT community disgust me for that very reason. Hell, alot the LGBT community shits on our own people that are bi/pansexual.

#11 TXTurbo90, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  12. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight pride doesn't bother me at all. Obviously the factor of social acceptance isn't there, but they still have every right to be proud of who they are and have a parade as a way of expressing this. I feel like as a community we often see straight, cisgender people as some sort of bogeyman, which doesn't help our cause one bit.

13. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care about it as long as they're not insulting the LGBT community. They have a right to be proud of themselves. I don't get upset if they're proud of who they are. They should be.

I do, however, think it's kinda foolish sometimes. Being straight isn't seen as immoral to society. So, the point of LGBT pride is to say, "I'm proud of who I am, regardless of what society thinks."

With that being said, I truly don't mind as long as they're not using it as a way to mock the LGBT community.

#13 Anthemic, Oct 31, 2016
  14. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its absurd and ridiculous...I mean..WHY?????????

Gay pride is the desire and ability to be brave and have pride in yourself even though you’ve been told all your life that you are less of a person because you’re gay. And though you’ve been laughed at, called names, teased through school, you can hold your head-up high instead of down in shame. So when we promote our gay pride, we are saying that we are not ashamed of who we are and will not, despite bullying, wear the labels that you have tried to stick on us. It is our response to a world that dehumanizes us and believes we are just faggots, sissies and worthless freaks who are going to hell without a trial.

When a straight individual posts a picture declaring their “straight pride” it’s not effective. It may tell the world that you’re not gay, but it also tells the world that you’re an asshole. It says that you are so insecure with your own sexuality that you have to label yourself. You’re afraid that your association with me or other gay people may cause others to question your orientation. It says that you feel threatened by what I and other LGBT members are doing. You obviously feel that our voice is loud and hard to ignore or you wouldn’t be trying to drown it out with your own propaganda. It tells me that you are listening to me and though you don’t agree, that you see that my tactics are effective. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Just my opinion on the subject matter.

#14 JonSomebody, Oct 31, 2016
  15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Straight Pride already exists in the form worldwide legal and social acceptance, along with of 96% of movie channels.

Most films are constructed as follows; (Plot start) (*Sudden bursts of heterosexuality*) (End plot)

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Straight pride is a serious affront to anything the LGBT community stands for.

#16 andimon, Oct 31, 2016
  17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the best response here.

18. Flowey

Baah
    1. I google straight pride parade, unsurprisingly, there nothing much. The ones that did happen were indeed reactionary, Leviticus, Christians and all that. Also, they were very very plain compared to the usually colorful gay parade. Bottom line, we are more fabulous. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    2. Most straight people don't think about their sexuality that much. They won't get worked up over 'prides'. The people who take straight pride seriously is in minority...and probably spend too much time on the internet (Oops, guilty as charge)
    3. #HeterosexualPrideDay was trendy because there were a lot of people bitching about it :lol:
    4. Perhaps some people encounter those tumblr twats who pretend to be all kinds of sexual orientations and genders, while being straight is boring and literal Hitler.
    5. Meeeh, do what you want, don't stab anyone though.

19. AlgebraicUchiha

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I find it redundant, but if it pleases you and you are not against LGBTQ+.......

20. anthracite

anthracite Guest

No, this is your war. I am sorry if you are this way because you have experienced discrimination but not all straight cis people are arrogant assholes.

Actually, I understand them. Every group has their pride thing and plays the great resistant warrior while they are nothing special at all, they are average in a world that loves individuality and that makes them as a person non-existant and valueless. Without identity. Suddenly all the minorites are there taking all the attention. We're the baby sibling that is suddenly there and if the parents don't share their attention there WILL be conflict with the older one who is suddenly alone.

And I am not the one who takes people the right to be remembered because some people of their group behaved like shit. In fact that makes us no way better then people who hate on muslims because they have some mass-murderers in their group. Or says all germans are nazis.

It's time for all of us, every group, be it majority or minority to gain a healthy pride without hating on others so we can finally stop feeling threatened by each other.

#20 anthracite, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.