1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what am I?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Starscream67, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Starscream67

I have a penis and testicles, and was assigned the male gender at birth. However, I get very offended when people, especially family, refer to me as a man or say or do things that make me feel like a man. I've never said anything to them, because my family is extremely conservative and would never understand. In truth, I'm not even exactly sure why it offends me so much when people view me as male. What hurts the most is that people think they're being nice by calling me male, when they're actually insulting me. I know it's mostly my own fault since I don't tell them not to, but I guess I'm afraid of being told I'm "just trying to be trendy." I just plain don't identify as male. I don't like manly things and I never have. But I don't like feminine things either. I've never been in a romantic relationship and don't want one. I can count the number of erections I've ever had in my life on one hand. I don't think I've ever found another person sexually attractive. I doubt I would even know if I did. I feel like an android.

So, what am I?

2. dublinz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Then I would guess you're what they call asexual. I don't understand the trendy part. Are you saying you look androgynous?

3. Tracy23

Well, first off if you feel like an android, you are probably not an iphone.

I say that in jest, but there's a bit of truth to it.

If you do not feel male, and you do not feel female, then you are non-binary. There's nothing wrong with that. Different people use different terms to describe that (third gender, two spirit, gender nonconforming, etc) but the fact is you don't fit society's binary view of what they think gender is supposed to be.

And as for not finding people attractive, not achieving erection, etc, that very likely places you in the asexual camp, which is also fine. There may be other medical possibilities associated with hormonal imbalance, but those are much more rare than someone just being asexual. Just be who you are. And if you choose to come out to your family, do it on your terms, not at some point where they have irritated you with pronouns to the point that you explode.

4. shymeeee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I think you're too worried about terminology and sterotypes, such as the "male" stereotype. Truth is, I'm male but I don't have the stereotypical male interests, or even the typical demeanor of the guys who go hunting, or have a beer at the bar; or work on cars etc. I don't like sports or the Super Bowl, and wouldn't know how to fit in with typical "guys". That being said, I refused to give up on myself simply because I knew I was different! So here I am today, well into my 50's, MY OWN BRAND of male. Maybe you should sit back and think before making any rash decisions about whether you're possibly a female in a male body. Take it easy!!!! Rethink/re-make the term "male" to suit your own life. Maybe you, too, are your own brand! :slight_smile: Before abandoning your masculinity (again, masculinity does not have to be macho, muscle and a certain walk), try to embrace and accept who/what you are, as-is! Have a great day.

#4 shymeeee, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Winter Storm

The terms agender or non-binary come to mind. As well as asexual and aromantic.

It would be best to research them and find out if they describe you. Even among asexuals there is a spectrum or variation

6. Irisviel

you don't really provide enough detail to identify your issue without making wild guesses. Maybe you could write more about how you feel about it all, also how old are you?

#6 Irisviel, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017