1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Taiwan looking to be the first Asian country to legalise gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by eMei, Oct 28, 2016.

1. eMei

Professor's death could see Taiwan become first Asian country to allow same-sex marriage

Following the suicide of professor Jacques Picoux, 67, who taught French at the National Taiwan University, who died after falling from the tenth floor of his Taipei apartment block, Taiwan is looking to become the first country in Asia to legalise gay marriage.

The suicide is blamed on the depression he faced after the death of Taiwanese partner of 35 years, Tseng Ching-chao, who suffered cancer.

Picoux had reportedly been crushed when his lack of legal status denied him the right to participate in crucial medical decisions in Tseng’s final moments. He later found himself with no legal claim over the property they shared together.

After his death the gay community lashed out against the government led by president Tsai Ing-wen, who was elected in January on a pledge to boost equality rights.

Recent polls display that the Taiwanese public is in favour of same-sex marriage.

“We actually can see that there are about 66 legislators who will probably vote yes on marriage equality,” said Pride Watch activist, Cindy Su. “That’s a majority of 58.4%, the first time in Taiwanese history that we have more than half,” she said.

This is fantastic progress for the Taiwanese LGBT community. Let's all pray it goes ahead.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

"That tragedy really brought it home. It’s not just legislation or a piece of paper, it’s about love and commitment and not being able to fulfil that."

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good news is always welcome, it's sad that it always takes such drastic events to push it forward however.

Best to attempt to remain positive and focus on the inevitability of such progress, I presume. After all, it's proceeding at a fair pace in my own lifetime and I haven't existed long at all. :icon_wink

3. Eris

Eris Guest

As a person living in an Asian country, I cant be more happy with this news, albeit only achieved at the cost of some individuals. Unfortunately, sometimes death is the only way for conservative countries to progress. I really hope Taiwan will be a lead example for other Asian countries to follow. Crossing my fingers on this.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go, Taiwan! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like a phoenix rising from its ashes. If this results in Taiwan legalising same-sex marriage, it would not only be amazing, it would deeply touching and beautiful as well. =]

6. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Good. There's a long ways to go especially in Thailand & Phillipines but it's progress. I'm hoping it gets passed.

7. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a person who loves Asian culture and wants to move to a Chinese speaking country in the future this is OTHERWORLDLY news for me.

8. ForeverDaisy

I’m always a fan of good news like this! Even though it took a tragic situation to bring this change about I’m glad progress is being made in this man’s honor.

9. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay! China is not a really great place to go unless you have relatives there, like I do. Taiwan is still a beacon of hope in Asia and the world.