1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Lauren Southern Becomes a Man" video

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DoriaN, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DoriaN

#1 DoriaN, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ten seconds in and I turned it off.

3. DoriaN

I guess I should add 'trigger warning' or the like, to me it was just startling to see how simple and... Unprofessional(?) the process was. Being trans is a huge medical issue and to see the system being used so flippantly is astounding.

4. Synesthesia

I think she's a c***

I don't really care how easy it is to change gender on ID to be honest, hormones are another matter since they have a more serious impact.

#4 Synesthesia, Oct 28, 2016
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched just a fragment. I feel offended. Like, hey, what did I do to you, Lauren? I'm just doing my stuff, trying not to make fuss, do normal human stuff, am nice to people, I'm just living my life... What the heck is her problem?

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2016 at 02:11 PM ----------

(My ID says F, no surprise, and not that I care. Actually, it's quite important to have that F if you want to go to the gyno or stuff like that, and ignoring it may simply have negative conseuences)

#5 Mihael, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I ain't watchin' something that Ezra Levant or The Rebel is mentioned in.

7. ThatOneAlien

I didn't watch the whole thing, so if she explains it later someone please enlighten me, but what was she trying to prove with this? If people want to change their ID for illegal purposes, they're just going to get a fake ID, not get their gender changed. So otherwise I see no reason to worry about how easy it is.

8. Irisviel

Oh come on. She just proved there that some thigs went too far. I believe you should do a "little" bit more of a diagnosis before you get your gender changed.

Lauren simply proved the medical part is utter crap. The doctor completely blew it, as far as the legal part, it's fine of course, the state should approve your medical note without question. That the doctor's note appears to be worthless in Canada is another thing.

It took me 5-7 meetings to get my note. And I wasn't opressed that way, I was professionally helped. Lauren proved that there is no such help available in Canada, apparently. How can you trust a professional if this can happen?

9. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know if this is fully legit or not but I was surprised how easy it was for her to get it switched. I think the legal part was fine, all the right paperwork was (presumably) there so the lady at the counter just did her job.

It seems like the only reason this was so easy was the doctor. She didn't seem familiar with trans patients, and sounded confused by all the terms this girl kept throwing at her. I would hope a doctor would say, "You know what, I'm not familiar with this, let me read up on it and let's make another appointment" or "let me refer you to xyz who knows more about this".... that just seems like the professional and ethical thing to do. Instead she said "well, guess you know what you're doing" and signed off.

IMO not a big deal for something like a gender marker, but I hope this doctor takes other matters more seriously. I also imagine she specifically picked this doctor, who wasn't familiar with the topic, and edited for the purposes of making it look as easy as possible. She indicated she actually spent an hour or more there convincing her to write the note, but didn't show that footage.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What the fuck? Like what even is the point? All she's proven is that you can blatantly lie to doctors...

"It makes us give up our sense of honesty, objectivity, and our respect for facts"... um... like she did when she just blatantly lied to a doctor???
    Trans people aren't being dishonest, and it's super gross to imply that we are.

"The government worker played into my delusions"
    This is disgusting and I am pissed.

11. Irisviel

It's the doctor's fault that they played into those lies. Real diagnosis would not be given in one sitting, because to evaluate whether someone is actually trans or not is much more of a complicated task.

Instead of being offended about how Lauren doesn't believe in non-binary genders (which she doesn't, although she does support the binary trans), focus on what was shown. And what was shown is that the doctor was affraid of being labelled transphobic, and that by pushing the system to accept everything without doublechecks is harmful to us. I don't know about you guys, but I want to be able to trust my doctor or therapist in helping me discover myself, instead of accepting any confusion I may experience. There is a difference between being accepting and full of crap, and however you may not like the way it was presented, it is a genuine problem that affects trans people. We need real help in diagnosis, not ideologically driven carefreeness. Being trans is a serious issue, that CANNOT be diagnosed during just one visit, within an hour of basically intimidating the doctor into signing some papers. Sorry, but you can't trust doctors if they have no procedure for proper diagnosis, and the video proves that some things go too far for our own good.

Both discrimination and mindless acceptance are bad. The former affects me where I live and makes it difficult for me to transition for purely legal reasons, latter turns actual help we need into a joke.

#11 Irisviel, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  12. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Great, now that she is legally a man I can punch her in the face without feeling bad.

13. Glowing Eyes

:eusa_clap