1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at getting a new gaming pc

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sailaway2020, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Sailaway2020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am looking for a new gaming pc anyone have any input on what i should get I would build one but dont have the time and I was thinking about getting someone to build one for me as we have a really good computer store near me but would like to see what my options are

#1 Sailaway2020, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a custom, mid or full tower is the way to go, do do a mini tower - too small and that makes future upgrades difficult. Get more PSU (Power Supply) than you think you need by at least 100 watts. Get the best graphics card you can afford and, a processor at 4.0 or above ghz. Go with a minimum of 16 GB RAM.

I know sounds like a lot but, that's what the newest games are demanding.

3. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?

If price is no object, you can't beat a gtx1080 and a core i7-6700k for around $1700-$1900 US for the total tower, in my opinion.

But if you want to spend less, you should be able to get a solid machine for $700-$1000.

4. Rainbows~Exist

It depends on what games you want to play. If you want to play the latest AAA titles and 'next-gen' games then you'll need a pretty good PC....

5. Sailaway2020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks I am looking at around $1900 there are quite a few games I want to try and gamesee that I am looking forward to

6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: go on pc part picker . com and go ahead and look at the builds recently around that price range; should help you decide! Or go to a builder and ask them to make you a computer with the specifications needed.

7. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is that $1900 Canadian? And do you also have to get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, also?

Looking at my local pc store, I've come up with these prices, in Canadian before tax.

i5-6600k $320 or i7-6700k $450
    Gtx 1070 $590 or gtx 1080 $870
    Motherboard $190 to $220 (Asus z170-e or z170-a for example)
    Power supply 700w $85 (evga 700b for example)
    16gb ddr4 ram $100 or 32gb ddr4 ram $220 (corsair for example)
    1tb hdd $90 (Seagate barracuda for example)
    Dvd drive $24
    Case $70 (basic simple case)
    Optional 250gb ssd $110 or 500gb ssd $210 (Samsung evo for example)
    Optional cpu cooler upgrade $45 (Cool master hyper 212 evo for example)

So just those choices can take you anywhere from $1370 up to $2285 plus tax.

Even the cheapest of those choices is a solid pc that will serve you well and run just about anything on medium to high settings. Though I do recommend you at least add the optional 250gb ssd for faster boot up.

8. Sailaway2020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No monitor I use my TV I could go with the Nvideo Gtx 950 Wichita is $209 plus taxes including all the other stuff

9. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could do that, that is a fair price for that card, maybe a little high. Another option would be the rx 480 for $320, the gtx 1060 for $300 or the rx 470 for $270.

If that's what you're looking at though I recommend you look at a cheaper budget. Even the i5-6600 might be overkill for those graphics cards. If you want the gtx 950, or the others I mentioned here, you could probably save a lot of money by going with a cheaper cpu/motherboard/ram option. A pc is only as fast as the slowest part right, so no need to spend big money on the i5-6600 if you want to go with the gtx950. You could probably look at nearer to $1000.

There's no need to spend a lot of money on power that isn't going to get used.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2016 at 02:57 PM ----------

Alright, something like this might be a better match for that card,

AMD FX-8350 $210
    Gtx 950 $210
    Asus M5A78L-M $75
    16gb DDR3 $110 (corsair as example)
    1tb hdd $90
    250gb ssd $110
    Dvd $24
    Case $70
    600w power supply $60 (thermaltake)

All for only $960

For gaming, this will probably seem the same as the more expensive i5-6600k I laid out above because the gtx950 will be the limiting part.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2016 at 03:03 PM ----------

Or,

i5-6400 $260
    Gtx 950 $210
    Asus H110M-A $85
    16gb DDR4 $110 (corsair as example)
    1tb hdd $90
    250gb ssd $110
    Dvd $24
    Case $70

For $1020

I am less familiar with this price range though so take these as only a basic outline to help you get an idea for prices. There might be better deals out there.

As another option, you can go with the more expensive i5-6600 and the gtx950 now, and you'll be able to upgrade the graphics card sometime in the future.

10. Sailaway2020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the help appreciate and $960 is a reasonable price

11. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No problem. Hope you get the best value for your money. You certainly don't need to pay top dollar for a solid pc. That one should run everything, but probably won't be able to have all the settings maxed out.

I would recommend you think about replacing the gtx 950 with a new rx 470 or gtx 1060. For an extra $100, it could be almost twice as fast. I think you would defiantly notice the upgrade.

12. Friesian

EdmontonGaymer, some great detailed info, thank you. I am in the market for a new pc as well but I don't want to play the latest graphic intense games - will use a console for that. More so adventure games and older rpg's that are so abundant for pc gaming. Is the configuration you made for $960 up to the task? And what brand, something like Alienware? Thanks again~

13. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No problem. I did a lot of research building my new pc, might as well share it. With the caution that this is only my opinions and I'm no expert. But at the very least, it should be a good point for you to start from.

That $960 (Canadian) would more than be enough for that. In fact, I suspect it will play the latest graphics intense games even better than the current consoles. (For example, it more than meets the minimum specs for fallout 4) So it might be even more than you're looking for. This thread started as a recommendation for a budget upwards of $1500 or $1900 but now we keep sliding the price point down.

If you want to save money, especially because you have a console already, you could easily push the price to under $600 Canadian.

This can probably run fallout 4 respectably with low settings. It nearly meets the minimum specifications. For older games and simpler games it should be able to handle well.

AMD Athlon X4 880K $120
    Radeon R7 360 $120
    Asus A68HM-K $70
    8gb DDR3 $60 (corsair as example)
    1tb hdd $90
    Dvd $24
    Case $70

Total $560 Canadian.

To be extra safe you can move up to a slightly more expensive options for the cpu and graphics card.

There's no specific brand for this, I priced the parts from my local computer store. Western Canada, stores called Memory Express. I like getting my hardware there and building myself, but they'll also build it for you for a small fee. I've never used alienware but it might be the same. You could look for other pc websites or local pc shops with good reviews.

14. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're willing to spend up to $1900 on a gaming rig, I would highly recommend that you consider spending some of it on a low response time monitor (especially a freesync or gsync monitor). TV's tend to have high response time because their main marketed use is as a non-interactive use (TV). Since videos games is an interactive medium, low response times can have a huge impact on gaming experience, especially if you prefer first-person shooters.

I highly recommend considering a freesync monitor or a gsync monitor (the latter only works with Nvidia cards) because they can completely eliminate screen tearing while keeping response times limited.

#14 BobObob, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016