1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True Tea

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "True Tea" is a phrase I heard somewhere. It means I'm going to be blunt and real with stuff. And this is going to be a long post.

I'm thinking about gender, and thinking about gender, and thinking about gender....

I'm confused. I'm very confused.

When I was small, I identified strongly as a girl. Fact. From what I got to know while questioning, I behaved somewhat boyish as a little girl. I was very active and assertive. I saw my identity as given and was happy with it, because I liked girl clothes better. I was a little princess.

Now. Some people may want to come in and say "Aha!" And I want to counter it: I'm just being real about it.

But the "boyish" behaviour wasn't:
    1. Seen as boyish
    2. Called boyish

Nobody questioned. Everyone accepted me as this little girl who likes to run a lot and sometimes gets into fights, finds dolls somewhat boring, but also collects nice dresses, and likes nice things, and drawing.

So all in all: normal and okey.

I never ever questioned. Nobody questioned. I was not a transgender kid. I was not a tomboy.

It's like... I dunno. I want to be able to talk about it with someone, with someone who would not laugh at me, who won't call me stupid for thinking about it, who won't tell me "nah, you're not trans, you don't need hormones, now go away and mind ya business". It's causing me real distress. Because I'm lost.

I went to a GP and tried coming out on her :lol: She's pretty okey. Because before I made a friend swear he will not reapeat it to anyone and he told me I'm talking nonsense, which really, really hurt. I thought he would understand. He entertained himself in really wierd ideas and seemed open at first. Maybe it's just me having trouble to pick the right words? But he was like "You a tomboy? WHY??? You're having a problem that you like sports :confused: You don't like sports? Don't listen to metal??? What is your problem???????? " Shit. F888ing shit. Grrrah. I talked with the GP. She asked me how long I've been having this idea, and apparently a couple of months is not enough, and if I didn't "behave boyish" when I was small, I have to be a lesbian. But I'm definitely not a lesbian :confused: Srsly, I desire men physically, that is not lesbian. Go to the LGBT club? Okey... but I'm not sure if I am homosexual at all, in the smallest bit, I'm super afraid of rejection. I can't even go with a friend and pretend something. I sometimes wish I was a lesbian, because it would simplify some things.

The question of my sexual orientation confuses me. I don't know what is happening :eusa_doh: I don't know any longer if I talked myself into it or not. I don't know any longer what is attraction and what is not. I dated this one guy... there was chemistry in the beginning, and then... it just disappeared. I don't know how or why. I started feeling so disinterested. I'm ashamed to talk about it with a counsellor, because she may laugh at me for questioning my sexual orientation. I'm sure she would ask if I'm attracted to women. And I don't know if I am. I don't know a thing any longer.

Another thing is that if I chose to date a girl... I'm afraid. I'm afraid of not having children, I'm afraid of coming out to my family. They aren't great about accepting my choices in general. Or respecting my feelings. I'm afraid that guys would think I'm lesbian and wouldn't date me if I broke up later.

Also, if an adult is gender non-conforming, in my environment that's called "gay". The stereotype that GNC = gay is very alive here.

I also have a feeling like people don't want to be honest with me, because it is considered offensive or something like that, to admit that someone reassembles the oposite sex.

I'm so stuck in my head with this.

Then I'm just feeling... I didn't even get the chance to be a tomboy when I was younger.

If it was an accepted thing to think about this stuff, I bet it wouldn't last longer than a month. But I'm constantly penalised.

Gender therapists? I'm sorry, I don't believe in their power. The gender therapist tells me something and then what? The decision what to do with this is up to me in the end.

I don't understand the stigma, I don't understand the denial. I have stumbled upon some articles in the net that claimed that labelling things as boyish and girly was offensive. That the term "tomboy" needs to go.

I am being denied the right to identity, because it's politically incorrect.

Trans. I wonder what being trans is really about. Of course, I don't want to offend anybody, but I wonder how much that's a phenomenon of people really thinking they are the opposite sex in the physical sense, how much it's behavioural, how much is identity and so on. And how much being trans is a medical condition and maybe what I'm experiencing is perfectly within the cisgendner norm. How much it was not made clear maybe. How much transphobia is in all this. How much politics.

But from my standpoint? I never even got the chance. I don't know how, I don't know why. I think I'm beating myself up over all of this. I feel guilty. I feel ashamed. I feel crazy.

Was it my parents? Was it my ex? And what if I'm being all wrong?

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:32 AM ----------

I just... want to be done. I want to stop questioning myself. I want to have a good explanation, a good solution. I want to understand. Additionally, I'm feeling like I'm taking up space meant for real trans people. I don't know. I just... don't seem to fit anywhere with that. Maybe I'm just another tomboy, but for one, strangely, I didn't get to be that until I now, until being an adult. When eveyone is already growing out of it. It just makes me feel so lost. So confused. Maybe it's something that was supposed to be happening ealier, something I lost. I don't regret my childhood, but... I was not even given the possibility. I identified in a girly way so much that it took an enormous amount of time and effort to realise that yes, I can do it, if I want to, no matter that people say I don't "qualify". I feel like it's too late. Am I making sense?

But I'm also a wierd tomboy. It's not about what makes a stereotypical man. In my opinion tomboys are not women who act like the stereotypical man. They are women who act like men. And men are diverse. In my case it's more like... they say female hormones are supposed to make me XYZ in my soul. But they don't.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:39 AM ----------

But if I was entirely cis, you know what the problem is? The lack of space to discuss such things. The lack of awareness. The shaming, and first of all, shaming me for acknowledging who I am. Or claiming my struggles or thoughts aren't real if I'm not trans. Because, to be honest with you, that's how it's presented. Either you're trans or you're struggles are BS and you're being oversensitive.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:40 AM ----------

That I shouldn't be complaining. "You're in the right body? Phew! Then get over yourself"

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:42 AM ----------

"Fuss over nothing"

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why can't we have some ground of understanding then? Why don't I see more people like me then? Why is it not "a thing"? It's super logical that families want their kids to be "normal" and don't give the options. So like... some people don't realise they are gay until adulthood, why is it not a thing that people don't realise they are feminine men or masculine women until adulthood?

3. DoriaN

This is part of an issue that I've tried discussing with people, but because everyone has their own view or own take on something it all gets jumbled together, especially in the media and now you have a lot of dissent and ignorance everywhere.
    What I mean is, to me I see two different 'transgender' communities.

1. Is a legitimate medical condition (Some say illness, and while it has a stigma whether it's true or not becomes semantics), proven by science, is biological, and has always been around since antiquity. Those that suffer from it typically have life-long feelings or knowledge of their gender issue from a young age and without correction become increasingly distressed typically from puberty onwards. It's based on the idea that gender is hard-wired into a person, and as such those who are trans feel strong discomfort with their physical body(sex), and because their brain is more aligned to one gender over the other their typical behaviour matches that. It's not just about clothes or how society treats you, it permeates your being and body.

2. Is a more 'progressive' or postmodern notion of gender. It follows the idea that a person may not be 'happy' with their gender, for any variety of reasons, at any stage of life, and as the owner of their own body they can choose to identify or present however they like given any reason they believe in. It largely revolves around gender expression more than full identity. Many in this camp claim gender is fluid instead of hard-wired, that it may change daily, that there are more than 2 genders, so on and so forth. While their feelings may be genuine, I think it actually does a disservice to the trans people that have fought hard to be taken seriously and be understood as an anomaly within society, that work very hard to be stealth and be 'seen' as cis.

Some may fall in between both camps a bit as well, but this is why there is a lot of disagreement over the transgender issue... Within the 'transgender' community itself. Some are seeking to re-define gender, or believe it to be irrelevant, while others think gender stereotypes in some cases may be societal constructs; do believe that men and women are fundamentally different.

I do believe myself a person may go through 'phases' of gender feeling that can indeed change daily or even from morning to night, or last as long as months/years, but I feel it's different from identity which is ingrained.

I can't really give a strong answer to your thoughts and concerns because only you know yourself, but as for wondering how much is within the cisgender norm, I do know many girls that hate their boobs and periods and the way they get looked at in society; but are still women or can live with it enough to go on. I know many men that hate being gruff and tough, hate facial hair, never crying, dislike their genitals, etc; but are still men and can accept it for what it is. I think it's up to the individual for themselves to understand when they feel like they can live with their sex or when they feel they can no longer live as their sex.

Also touching on what you said about how you behaved as a child vs how you felt inside, men and women for the by and large do act the same. I think a lot of people put unwanted attention or focus on these things, when really it's not a big deal. I know women who are tough as nails and rock their attitude, and guys that act a bit more submissive but rock their attitude. If you swapped their gender it'd probably be very hard to tell if one was acting specifically girly or specifically boyish.

Your thought feelings and concerns are all valid and worthy of basic respect. Sometimes it can be hard to talk on these things because as you said there is shaming, or stigma, or strong/controversial feelings on the matter. You're you regardless of everything else, and everyone has struggles, yours are no less real though they may be unique to you. This doesn't mean everyone will agree with you, but far be it from anyone to deny you of your right to speak or let yourself be known.

I personally don't condemn people for soul searching or trying to understand their feelings in an honest and truthful manner. What I am more likely to condemn is people blindly showing support in ignorance on things that may lead to others being in ignorance; even to the endangering of their own health.

An example to me is when people question their gender, a lot of people may be quick to jump on the bandwagon that suddenly they're trans and that they should fully embrace it. Yet there is a reason doctors psychologists and medical professionals say a person has to have these feelings for years and even live their life openly in such a way for years before they'll take the matter very seriously. It's to protect them, and to filter out those that are just going through a phase or a crisis. Afterall hormones cause major body changes, and for transwomen it makes them sterile. It's not to be taken lightly, and is a very serious concern. Frequent blood tests happen, the chance of stroke or clotting increases. It's not a game or a fun new way to express oneself, it's life and death.

I know I typed a lot so if you or others read it all thank you for your patience. I hope you're feeling okay, try not to overthink it, take it day by day, you're beautiful and very much loved, and chin up it'll work out =]

4. Synesthesia

'If you haven't behaved boyish from the start you're not trans and you have to be a lesbian' what the hell? What does sexuality have to do with that. Your GP sounds a bit ignorant.

This is kind of why I don't want to talk about my stuff with a therapist, I reckon I'll get the same kind of response even though I wouldn't be trying to convince them to let me transistion just need to talk things through with a proffesional if such a thing exists.. I live in the UK too.

Yep that's true, questioning gender is a shit place to be. There's this idea that it's OK to have a period of discovery for sexuality but with gender it's a black/white thing you should always be 100% sure about. It's ironic really because you kind of have to have your stuff together before seeing a gender therapist it seems, and tell them what they want to hear. Backwards almost.

5. Tardis221B

I can definitely relate to you, a little over two years ago I was in a similar place that you are in now.

I was assigned female at birth, and growing up I played with barbies and stuffed animals, drew, and wore dresses now and then. I wasn't a tom-boy. I was never sporty. I had one or two other quiet friends as a child. And I picked flowers and rocks at recess. I had long hair all my life until my 3rd year of college when I started figuring out my gender. No one would have suspected a thing - people might have noticed depression - but other than that, no.

I didn't fit the normative idea of the trans experience.

When I cut my hair from chest length to shorter than a pixie cut in one day at age 20, people were very surprised. When I came out as trans people were surprised to say the least. But after the initial shock and surprises, what I found the most validating, were the countless comments people made about how I shine brighter now.

I think a lot of people believe that gender is connected with toys, clothes, and interests. But I know a lot of cis men who liked to draw or play with stuffed animals growing up. Cultures gender clothes, toys, and characteristics, but these things aren't gender identity, and people have a hard time understanding this. Gender identity - the feeling of who you are - its a very abstract concept and personal thing, and because its not a norm in society to actively think about gender identity it can be difficult - especially for cisgender people - to understand.

But I think over time - through education and being exposed to people who deviate from gender norms and expectations, people's perspectives of gender shifts. It really sucks at first, and people can say some awful things, and sometimes it gets better and sometimes it doesn't. But at the level of understanding yourself for yourself, I've found that when I'm most in touch with my gender, it defies words. I simply feel more authentic and people can tell that I'm happier when I'm more in touch with that part of myself.

When I cut my hair short for the first time my favorite compliment was a peer who told me, "its like your soul is shining brighter." I hadn't even come out as trans at that point yet.

This process definitely takes time, but know that your gender is valid, and you are valid in whatever stage you are at currently.

I hope this helps some

#5 Tardis221B, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for replies. More detail coming.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg. Such a long time.

Thank for reassurance.

Funny. My mom also said it recently that I'm being more in touch with myself and she's happy about it. You're completely right that what happened is a shift in understanding. I saw more and more gnc people and I was like... I wanna do it too. I didn't even know I could. So yeah. It calmed me down so much what you said about it.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I would write something more constructive, but just thank you all for being there. It's true. It's all okey.